This paper deals with the application of a meta-heuristic optimization algorithm, namely the Cuckoo Search Algorithm in design of the Electromagnetic band gap (EBG) structures. These EBG structures are employed for the purpose of suppressing power/ground noise in printed circuit boards. A design example of 2D planar EBG structure in the specified frequency band is presented and implemented. The measured results are found to be in good agreement with the simulation as well as the analytical results.
1. Shahparnia , S. and O. M. Ramahi, "Electromagnetic interference (EMI) reduction from printed circuit boards (PCB) using electromagnetic bandgap structures," IEEE Transactions on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 46, No. 4, 580-587, 2004. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2004.837671
2. Paulis, F. D. and A. Orlandi, "Signal integrity analysis of single-ended and differential striplines in presence of EBG planar structures," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 9, 554-557, 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2027062
3. Swaminathan, M. and A. E. Engin, Power Integrity Modeling and Design for Semiconductors and Systems, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 2007.
4. Paulis, F. D., L. Raimondo, A. Orlandi, L. Ren, and J. Fan, "Equivalent circuit models for evaluation of bandgap limits for planar electromagnetic bandgap structures ," IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC), 770-775, 2010.
5. Raimondo, L., F. D. Paulis, and A. Orlandi, "A simple and efficient design procedure for planar electromagnetic bandgap structures on printed circuit boards," IEEE Transactions on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 53, No. 2, 482-490, 2011. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2010.2051549
6. Computer Simulation Technology, CST Studio Suite., 2011, Available: http://www.cst.com/.
7. Lei, G. T., R. W. Techentin, and B. K. Gilbert, "High-frequency characterization of power/ground-plane structures," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 5, 562-569, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.763156
8. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering,, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2004.
9. Yang, X. S. and S. Deb, "Cuckoo search via levy flights," World Congress on Nature and Biologically Inspired Computing (NaBIC 2009), 210-214, 2009. doi:10.1109/NABIC.2009.5393690
10. Yang, X. S. and S. Deb, "Engineering optimization by cuckoo search," Int. J. Mathematical Modeling and Numerical Optimisation, Vol. 1, No. 4, 330-343, 2010. doi:10.1504/IJMMNO.2010.035430
11. Kim, T. H., M. Swaminathan, A. E. Engin, and B. J. Yang, "Electromagnetic band gap synthesis using genetic algorithms for mixed signal applications," IEEE Trans. on Adv. Packg., Vol. 32, No. 1, 13-25, 2009. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2008.2005841
12. Kovacs, P. and Z. Raida, "Global evolutionary algorithms in the design of electromagnetic band gap structures with suppressed surface waves propagation," Radio Engineering, Vol. 19, 122-128, 2010.
13. Civicioglu, P. and E. Besdok, "A conceptual comparison of the cuckoo-search, particle swarm optimization, differential evolution and artificial bee colony algorithms," Artificial Intelligence Review, 2011, DOI 10.1007/s10462-011-9276-0.
14. Tripathi, J. N., N. K. Chhabra, R. K. Nagpal, R. Malik, and J. Mukherjee, "Damping the cavity-mode anti-resonances' peaks on a power plane by swarm intelligence algorithms," IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), 361-364, 2012.
15. Pani, P. R., R. K. Nagpal, R. Malik, and N. Gupta, "Mitigation of simultaneous switching noise on EBG planes using firefly algorithm," International Conference on Communication, Information & Computing Technology (ICCICT), 1-4, 2012.