In this paper the derivation of a rigorous expression of the input admittance of a coaxially fed, infinite, lossy parallel plate waveguide (PPWG) is presented. The derivation makes use of the dyadic Green's function of the PPWG expressed as series a cylindrical wave-functions. Losses into the dielectric plates and on the conductors are considered rigorously. The approximation used in results presented in the past literature are critically discussed. Numerical experiments are performed to show the effects of the finite conductivity on the input impedance of the PPWG.
1. Ando, M., K. Sakurai, N. Goto, K. Arimura, and Y. Ito, "A radial line slot antenna for 12 GHz satellite TV reception," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 33, No. 12, 1347-1353, 1985. doi:10.1109/TAP.1985.1143526
2. Hashimoto, K., J. Hirokawa, and M. Ando, "A post-wall waveguide center-feed parallel plate slot array antenna in the millimeter-wave band," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 11, 3532-3538, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2071356
3. Amendola, G., E. Arnieri, L. Boccia, and V. Ziegler, "Annular ring slot radiating element for integrated millimeter wave arrays," Proceedings of 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2012, 3082-3085, 2012. doi:10.1109/EuCAP.2012.6206468
4. Hao, X., D. R. Jackson, and J. T. Williams, "Comparison of models for the probe inductance for a parallel-plate waveguide and a microstrip patch," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 10, 3229-3235, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.856306
5. Hu, Y., Y. J. Zhang, and J. Fan, "Equivalent circuit model of coaxial probes for patch antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 38, 281-296, 2012.
6. Xu, M. and T. H. Hubing, "The development of a closed-form expression for the input impedance of power-return plane structures," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 45, No. 3, 478-485, 2003. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2003.815531
7. Arnieri, E. and G. Amendola, "Analysis of substrate integrated waveguide structures based on the parallel-plate waveguide Green's function," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 7, 1615-1623, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.925240
8. Amendola, G., E. Arnieri, and L. Boccia, "Analysis of lossy SIW structures based on the parallel plates waveguide Green's function," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 33, 157-169, 2012.
9. Arnieri, E. and G. Amendola, "Method of moments analysis of slotted substrate integrated waveguide arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1148-1154, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2109356
10. Amendola, G., G. Angiulli, E. Arnieri, and L. Boccia, "Resonant frequencies of circular substrate integrated resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 4, 239-241, 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.918872
11. Amendola, G., G. Angiulli, E. Arnieri, and L. Boccia, "Computation of the resonant frequency and quality factor of lossy substrate integrated waveguide resonators by method of moments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 40, 107-117, 2013.
12. Angiulli, G., "Design of square substrate waveguide cavity resonators: Compensation of modelling errors by support vector regression machines," American Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 9, No. 11, 1872-1875, 2012. doi:10.3844/ajassp.2012.1872.1875
13. Angiulli, G., "On the computation of nonlinear eigenvalues in electromagnetics problems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 4, 527-532, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780616838
14. Zheng, J.-X. and D. C. Chang, "End-correction network of a coaxial probe for microstrip patch antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 1, 115-118, 1991. doi:10.1109/8.64446
15. Williamson, A. G., "Equivalent circuit for radial-line/coaxial-line junction," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 17, No. 8, 300-301, 1981. doi:10.1049/el:19810210
16. Vandenbosch, G. A. E. and A. R. Van de Capelle, "Reduction of coaxial feed between two parallel conductors into finite number of voltage sources," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 27, No. 25, 2387-2389, 1991. doi:10.1049/el:19911477
17. Tomasic, B. and A. Hessel, "Electric and magnetic current sources in the parallel plate waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, No. 11, 1307-1310, 1987. doi:10.1109/TAP.1987.1144020
18. Wu, D. and C. Ruan, "Analysis on a radial-line/coaxial-line junction," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, No. 10, 994-998, 1998. doi:10.1049/el:19980656
19. Huang, C., L. Tsang, and C. H. Chan, "Multiple scattering among vias in lossy planar waveguides using SMCG method," IEEE Transaction on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 25, No. 2, 181-188, 2002. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2002.803262
20. Otoshi, T. Y. and M. M. Franco, "The electrical conductivities of steel and other candidate materials for shrouds in a beam-waveguide antenna system," IEEE Transaction on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 45, No. 1, 77-83, 1996. doi:10.1109/19.481315
21. Yoshitomi, K., "Equivalent currents for an aperture in an impedance surface," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, No. 11, 1554-1556, 1994. doi:10.1109/8.362780