This paper discusses the application of computational electromagnetics (CEM) for electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) problems of integrated circuits (ICs). It is known that the application of CEM is versatile in solving a wide range of problems. This paper focuses on the electromagnetic study of quad flat non-lead (QFN) packaged ICs, one monolithic microwave integrated circuit (MMIC) and another radio frequency integrated circuit (RFIC), from the individual chip to system in package (SiP). Full-wave electromagnetic technique is conducted in the modelling and simulation. Both chips are found producing radiated emissions in horizontal directions as omnidirectional antennas at working frequencies and then directional at resonance frequencies.
1. Bruns, H., C. Schuster, and H. Singer, "Numerical electromagnetic field analysis for EMC problems," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 49, No. 2, 253-262, 2007. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2007.897152
2. Ramdani, M., E. Sicard, A. Boyer, S. Ben Dhia, J. J. Whalen, T. H. Hubing, M. Coenen, and O. Wada, "The electromagnetic compatibility of integrated circuits --- Past, present, and future," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 51, No. 1, 78-100, 2009. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2008.2008907
3. Lu, J., B. Zhu, and D. Thiel, "Full wave solution for Intel CPU with a heat sink for EMC investigations," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 46, No. 8, 3405-3408, 2010. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2010.2044483
4. Zhu, B., J. Lu, and E. Li, "Electromagnetic compatibility benchmark-modelling approach for a dual-die CPU," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 53, No. 1, 91-98, 2011. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2010.2053208
5. Li, E., Electromagnetic Modelling and Design for 3D System Integration: 3D Integrated Circuits and Packaging, Signal Integrity, Power Integrity and EMC, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2012. doi:10.1002/9781118166727
6. Beyne, E., "3D system integration technologies Symposium on VLSI Technology, Systems and Applications," Beyne, E., \3D system integration technologies," International, 1-9, 2006.
7. Leung, L. L. W., M. L. Sham, W. Ma, Y. C. Chen, J. R. Lin, and T. Chung, "System-in-package (SiP) design: Issues, approaches and solutions," Electronic Materials and Packaging, 1-5, 2006.