In this paper, we introduce plane wave modulators that are designed using one-dimensional photonic crystals (1DPC) containing radial gradient refractive index (r-GRIN) defect layers. Three kinds of r-GRIN materials with different refractive index distribution functions are applied in numerical analysis. The properties of the phase and intensity of the transmitted plane wave beam through propoesed structures are studied using the transfer matrix method. Radially-dependent defect modes, modulated phase and intensity are obtained according to the refractive index distribution functions. The results are predictable by regarding the Bragg condition and destructive interference, which are the origins of the photonic band gap. Due to the radial-dependency of the defect layer's refractive index, the rays passing through different transverse positions experience different optical pathways. Therefore, the defect modes and transmitted spectrum (phase and amplitude) vary transversely. This study demonstrates another ability of the artificial PC structures to design plane wave modulators and manipulate its phase and intensity.
2. Yablonovitch, E. and T. J. Gmitter, "Photonic band-gap structure: The face centered-cubic case employing nonspherical atoms," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 67, No. 17, 2295-2298, 1991.
3. John, S., "Strong localization of photons in certain disordered dielectric superlattices," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 20, 2486, 1987.
4. Srivastava, R., K. B. Thapa, S. Pati, and S. P. Ojha, "Omni-direction reflection in one dimensional photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 133-143, 2008.
5. Awasthi, S. K., U. Malaviya, S. P. Ojha, N. K. Mishra, and B. Singh, "Design of a tunable polarizer using a one-dimensional nanosized photonic band-gap structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 5, 133-152, 2008.
6. Banerjee, A., "Enhanced temperature sensing by using one-dimensional ternary photonic band gap structures ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 11, 129-137, 2009.
7. Wu, C. J., B. H. Chu, M. T. Weng, and H. L. Lee, "Enhancement of bandwidth in a chirped quarter-wave dielectric mirror," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 4, 437-447, 2009.
8. Wu, C. J., B. H. Chu, and M. T. Weng, "Analysis of optical reflection in a chirped distributed Bragg reflector," Journal of Electromagnetics Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 1, 129-138, 2009.
9. Wu, C. J., C. L. Liu, and W. K. Kuo, "Analysis of thickness-dependent optical properties in a one-dimensional superconducting photonic crystal," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 8--9, 1113-1122, 2009.
10. Lotfi, E., K. Jamshidi-Ghaleh, F. Moslemi, and H. Masalehdan, "Comparison of photonic crystal narrow ¯lters with metamaterials and dielectric," Eur. Phys. J. D., Vol. 60, No. 2, 369-372, 2010.
11. Wu, C. J., J. J. Liao, and T. W. Chang, "Tunable multilayer Fabry-Perot resonator using electrooptical defect layer," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 4, 531-542, 2010.
12. Wu, C. J. and Z. H. Wang, "Properties of defect modes in one-dimensional photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, No. 10, 169-184, 2010.
13. Li, X., K. Xie, and H. M. Jiang, "Properties of defect modes in one-dimensional photonic crystals containing two nonlinear defects,".