To study electromagnetic scattering from dielectric rough surfaces, a hybrid finite element method (FEM) combined with boundary integral equations (BIE) is extended to the scattering problem with two half-open regions. Integral boundaries, as truncated boundaries of the FEM region, are employed as artificial boundaries of dielectric rough surfaces above and below the rough surface. In the hybrid method, conformal integral boundaries are introduced to reduce the computational region. The validity of our hybrid method is examined by available solutions got from the method of moment (MoM), which indicates the feasibility of our scheme in simulating the scattering from dielectric rough surfaces. Bistatic scattering coefficient from dielectric rough surfaces is studied in this paper for both polarizations, and functional dependence upon different parameters are numerically discussed.
2. Li, Z.-X., "Bistatic scattering from rough dielectric soil surface with a conducting object with arbitrary closed contour partially buried by using the FBM/SAA method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 253-274, 2007.
3. Barka, A. and P. Caudrillier, "Domain decomposition method based on generalized scattering matrix for installed performance of antennas on aircraft," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1833-1842, 2007.
4. Wang, R., L. Guo, J. Li, and X. Liu, "Investigation on transient electromagnetic scattering from a randomly rough surface and the perfect electric conductor target with an arbitrary cross section above it ," Science in China, Series G: Physics, Mechanics and Astronomy, Vol. 52, 665-675, 2009.
5. Li, J., L. X. Guo, and H. Zeng, "FDTD method investigation on the polarimetric scattering from 2-D rough surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 173-188, 2010.
6. Botha, M. M. and D. B. Davidson, "Rigorous, auxiliary variable-based implementation of a second-order ABC for the vector FEM," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 11, 3499-3504, 2006.
7. Zhai, Y. B., X. W. Ping, and T. J. Cui, "Scattering from complex bodies of revolution using a high-order mixed ¯nite element method and locally-conformal perfectly matched layer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 5, 1761-1764, 2011.
8. Liu, P. and Y.-Q. Jin, "Numerical simulation of bistatic scattering from a target at low altitude above rough sea surface under an EM-wave incidence at low grazing angle by using the finite element method," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1205-1210, 2004.
9. Ozgun, O. , "Monte Carlo-based characteristic basis finite element method (MC-CBFEM) for numerical analysis of scattering from objects on/above rough sea surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 50, No. 3, 769-783, 2012.
10. Chen, Y., S. Yang, S. He, and Z. Nie, "Fast analysis of microstrip antennas over a frequency band using an accurate MoM matrix interpolation technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 301-324, 2010.
11. Alavikia, B. and O. M. Ramahi, "Electromagnetic scattering from cylindrical objects above a conductive surface using a hybrid ¯niteelement-surface integral equation method," Journal of the Optical Society of America A: Optics and Image Science, and Vision, Vol. 28, 2510-2518, 2011.
12. Cui, Z. W., Y. P. Han, C. Y. Li, and W. J. Zhao, "Cui, Z. W., Y. P. Han, C. Y. Li, and W. J. Zhao, \E±cient analysis of scattering from multiple 3-D cavities by means of a FE-BI-DDM method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 425-439, 2011.
13. Li, J., L. X. Guo, Q. He, and B. Wei, "Electromagnetic scattering from randomly rough surfaces with hybrid FEM/BIE," Chinese Physics Letters, Vol. 28, 104101-1-104101-4, 2011.
14. Ping, X. W., T. J. Cui, and W. B. Lu, "The combination of BCGSTAB with multifrontal algorithm to solve FEBI-MLFMA linear systems arising from inhomogeneous electromagnetic scattering problems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 91-105, 2009.
15. Thorsos, E. I., "The validity of the Kirchho® approximation for rough surface scattering using a Gaussian roughness spectrum," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 83, No. 1, 78-92, 1988.
16. Jin, J. M., The Finite Element Method in Electromagnetics, John Wiley, New York, 2002.