In this paper, design and simulation of optimized MEMS spiral inductor are presented. The effects of design parameters on characteristics of inductor have been considered. The suspended spiral inductor was designed on silicon substrate using MEMS technology to reduce the metal and substrate losses of inductor. The results show that the quality factor of the inductor is 27 at 5.23 GHz and that the maximum Q-factor is 42 at 26.56 GHz. The dimension of the inductor is 185×200 μm2, which occupies less area on chip than other works. In this work, the high quality factor inductor with small size is obtained.
2. Sandrolini, L., U. Reggiani, and G. Puccetti, "Analytical calculation of the inductance of planar ZIG-ZAG spiral inductors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 142, 207-220, 2013.
3. Lee, J., S. Park, H. C. Kim, and K. Chun, "Substrates and dimension dependence of MEMS inductors," IOP Science Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 19, 085014, 2009.
4. Sia, C. B., W. M. Lim, B. H. Ong, A. F. Tong, and K. S. Yeo, "Modeling and layout optimization techniques for silicon-based symmetrical spiral inductors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 143, 1-18, 2013.
5. Dai, C.-L., J.-Y. Hong, and M.-C. Liu, "High Q-factor CMOS-MEMS inductor," Symposium on Design, Test, Integration and Packaging of MEMS/MOEMS, 138-141, Apr. 2008.
6. Fang, D.-M., Q. Yuan, X.-H. Li, H.-X. Zhang, Y. Zhou, and X.-L. Zhao, "High performance MEMS spiral inductors," The 5th IEEE International Conference on Nano/Micro Engineered and Molecular Systems, 1033-1035, Jan. 2010.
7. Jeong, Y., H. Doh, S. Jung, D. S.-W. Park, and J.-B. Lee, "CMOS VCO & LNA implemented by air-suspended on-chip RF MEMS LC," The 47th IEEE International Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 373-376, 2004.
8. Tseng, S.-H., Y.-J. Hung, Y.-Z. Juang, and M. S.-C. Lu, "A 5.8-GHz VCO with CMOS-compatible MEMS inductors," Elsevier Sensors and Actuators A, Vol. 139, 187-193, 2007.
9. Pan, S. J., L. W. Li, and W. Y. Yin, "Performance trends of on-chip spiral inductors for RFICs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 45, 123-151, 2004.
10. Mohan, S. S., M. del Mar Hershenson, S. P. Boyd, and T. H. Lee, "Simple accurate expressions for planar spiral inductances," IEEE Journal of Solid-state Circuits, Vol. 34, No. 10, 1419-1424, Oct. 1999.
11. Zhao, P. and H. G. Wang, "Resistance and inductance extraction using surface integral equation with the acceleration of multilevel green function interpolation method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 43-54, 2008.
12. Park, E.-C., J.-B. Yoon, S. Hong, and E. Yoon, "A 2.6 GHz low phase-noise VCO monolithically integrated with high Q MEMS inductors," The 28th IEEE Solid-state Circuits Conference (ESSCIRC 2002), 147-150, Sep. 2002.
13. Gil, J. and H. Shin, "A simple wide-band on-chip inductor model for silicon-based RF ICs," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 9, 2023-2028, Sep. 2003.