A dual grating waveguide accelerator structure is investigated and compared with the dielectric wakefield accelerator at THz frequencies. In a dielectric wakefield accelerator, thinner liners for a given current and liners having lower dielectric constant are not preferable due to the fact that they generate much lower axial wakefields. This limits the operation of the device at THz. On the other hand, it is shown that a grating waveguide is tuned at THz with shallower slot heights with competitive wakefield gradients than a dielectric wakefield accelerator.
2. Chen, P., J. M. Dawson, R. W. Huff, and T. Katosouleas, "Acceleration of electrons by the interaction of a bunched electron beam with a plasma," Physics Review Letters, Vol. 5, 693, 1985.
3. Ruth, R. D., A. Chao, P. L. Morton, and P. B. Wilson, "A Plasma Wake Field Accelerator,", 3374, SLAC-PUB, 1984.
4. Sotnikov, G. V., K. V. Galaydych, V. A. Kiselev, P. I. Markov, and I. N. Onishchenko, "Optimization of rectangular dielectric structures for the planned wake-field acceleration experiments in KIPT," Proceedings of IPAC 2013, TUPEA057, 1262, Shanghai, China, 2013.
5. Sotnikov, G. V., T. C. Marshall, and J. L. Hirshfield, "Co-axial two-channel high-gradient dielectric wake field accelerator," Physical Review Special Topics-accelerators and Beams, Vol. 12, 061302, 2009.
6. Plettner, T. and R. L. Byer, "Proposed dielectric-based microstructure laser-driven undulator," Physical Review Special Topics --- Accelerators and Beams, Vol. 11, 030704, 2008.
7. Wang, C. and J. L. Hirshfield, "Theory for wake fields in a multi-zone dielectric lined wave guide," Physical Review Special Topics --- Accelerators and Beams, Vol. 9, 031301, 2006.
8. Rosing, M. and W. Gai, "Longitudinal- and transverse-wake-field effects in dielectric structures," Physical Review D, Vol. 42, No. 5, 1829, 1990.
9. Keinigs, R. and M. E. Jones, "The Cherenkov wakefield accelerator," Particle Accelerators, Vol. 24, 223-229, 1989.
10. Garate, E., "Transverse wake fields due to nonaxisymmetric drive beams in the dielectric wake-field accelerator," Physics Fluids B, Vol. 3, No. 4, 1104, 1991.
11. Jing, C., A. Kanareykin, J. G. Power, M. Conde, W. Liu, S. Antipov, P. Schoessow, and W. Gai, "Experimental demonstration of wakefield acceleration in a tunable dielectric loaded accelerating structure," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 106, 164802, 2011.
12. Altmark, A. M., A. D. Kanareykin, and I. L. Sheinman, "Tunable wakefield dielectric-filled accelerating structure," Technical Physics, Vol. 50, No. 1, 87-95, 2005.
13. Kanareykin, A., et al., "Ferroelectric based technologies for accelerator component applications," PAC 2007, MOPAS087, Albuquerque, 2007.
14. Smith, S. J. and E. M. Purcell, "Visible light from localized surface charges moving across a grating," Physics Review, Vol. 92, No. 4, 1069, 1953.
15. Garate, E., R. Cherry, A. Fisher, and P. Philips, "High gain metal grating free electron laser," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 64, No. 12, 6618, 1988.
16. Andrews, H. L., J. E. Walsh, and J. H. Brownell, "Designing a grating based free electron laser," Nuclear Instrument and Methods in Physics Research A, Vol. 483, 478-481, 2002.
17. Maragos, A. A., Z. C. Ioannidis, and I. G. Tigelis, "Dispersion characteristics of a rectangular waveguide grating," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 31, No. 5, 1075, 2003.
18. Walsh, J. E., "Electron beams diffraction gratings and radiation," Nuclear Instrument and Methods in Physics Research A, Vol. 445, 214-221, 2000.
19. Andrews, H. L., C. H. Boulware, C. A. Brau, J. T. Donohue, J. Gardelle, and J. D. Jarvis, "Effect of reflections and losses in Smith-Purcell free-electron lasers," New Journal of Physics, Vol. 8, No. 289, 16, 2006.
20. Andrews, H. L., C. A. Brau, and J. D. Jarvis, "Three-dimensional theory for a Smith-Purcell free-electron laser with grating sidewalls," Proceedings of FEL'08, MOPPH005, 17, Korea, 2008.
21. Li, D. and K. Imasaki, "Improvement of grating for smith-purcell device," Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 1, No. 4, 221, 2008.
22. Lu, Z.-G., Y.-B. Gong, Y.-Y. Wei, and W.-X. Wang, "Study of the double rectangular waveguide grating slow-wave structure," Chinese Physics, Vol. 15, No. 11, 2661, 2006.
23. Liu, W., Z. Liang, Z. Yang, D. Li, and K. Imasaki, "Two-stream Smith-Purcell free-electron laser using a dual-grating: Linear analysis," Proceedings of FEL'06, 111-114, Bessy, Berlin, Germany, 2006.
24. Li, D., et al., "Improve growth rate of Smith-Purcell free-electron laser by Bragg reflector," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 98, 211503, 2011.
25. Prokop, C., P. Piot, M. C. Lin, and P. Stoltz, "Numerical modeling of a table-top tunable Smith- Purcell terahertz free-electron laser operating in the super-radiant regime," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 96, 151502, 2010.
26. Sharma, G., G. Mishra, and Y. C. Huang, "Wakefield accelerator in a dielectric-plasma liner structure," Nuclear Instrument and Methods in Physics Research A, Vol. 648, 22, 2011.
27. Garate, E. and A. Fisher, "Transverse dimension effects in the dielectric wake-field accelerator," Phys. Fluids B, Vol. 2, No. 1, 179, 1990.
28. Sprangle, P., B. Hafizi, and R. F. Hubbard, "Ionization and pulse lethargy effects in inverse Cerenkov accelerators," Physical Review E, Vol. 55, No. 5, 5964, 1997.