In this paper, an analytical model of permanent magnet electrodynamic suspension systems (PEDSs) is proposed. Horizontal and vertical magnetic fields of a permanent magnet (PM) are affectively approximated by sinusoidal functions. By this means, closed form solutions are obtained for lift and drag forces of PEDS for the first time. The suspension system is modelled by finite element method (FEM). The analytical values of lift and drag forces are compared with the FEM results. Also, the analytical results are evaluated by experimental results. As so, the accuracy of the analytical model is validated by FEM and experimental measurements.
2. Mabrouk, A. E., A. Cheriet, and M. Feliachi, "Fuzzy logic control of electrodynamic levitation devices coupled to dynamic finite volume method analysis," Applied Mathematical Modelling, Vol. 37, 5951-5961, Apr. 15, 2013.
3. Paudel, N., J. Bird, S. Paul, and D. Bobba, "A transient 2D model of an electrodynamic wheel moving above a conductive guideway," 2011 IEEE International Electric Machines & Drives Conference (IEMDC), 545-550, 2011.
4. íñiguez, J. and V. Raposo, "Numerical simulation of a simple low-speed model for an electrodynamic levitation system based on a Halbach magnet array," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 322, 1673-1676, 2010.
5. Najjar-Khodabakhsh, A., S. Vaez-Zadeh, and A. H. Isfahani, "Finite element analysis and experimental implementation of the cylindrical permanent magnet electrodynamic suspension system," Electromagnetics, Vol. 29, 563-274, Sep. 29, 2009.
6. Najjar-khodabakhsh, A., S. Vaez-Zadeh, and A. Hassanpour Isfahani, "Analysis of a cylindrical passive suspension system using finite element method," Int. Rev. of Elect. Eng. (IREE), Vol. 3, No. 1, 123-128, Jan. 2008.
7. Sakamoto, T., A. R. Eastham, and G. E. Dawson, "Induced currents and forces for the split- guideway electrodynamic levitation system," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 27, 5004-5006, 1991.
8. Hill, R. J., "Teaching electrodynamic levitation theory," IEEE Transactions on Education, Vol. 33, 346-354, 1990.
9. Post, R. F. and D. D. Ryutov, "The inductrack: A simpler approach to magnetic levitation," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 10, 901-904, 2000.
10. Sugimoto, H. and A. Chiba, "Stability consideration of magnetic suspension in two-axis actively positioned bearingless motor with collocation problem," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 50, 338-345, 2014.