Based on the Minimum Variance Distortionless Response-Sample Matrix Inversion (MVDR-SMI) method, we propose a novel Adaptive Covariance Estimator (MVDR-ACE) beamformer for adaptation to multiple interference environments. The MVDR-ACE beamformer iteratively determines a minimum number of data samples required while maintaining its average signal-to-interference-noise to be within 3dB from the performance of a theoretical optimum MVDR beamformer and meeting an instantaneous interference cancellation requirement. Finally, based on numerical simulations, we analyze and validate the performance of the MVDR-ACE beamformer. We also compare its performance to the conventional MVDR-SMI beamformer that uses a fixed data sample in its covariance estimator.
2. Haykin, S., Adaptive Filter Theory, 4th Ed., Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 2002.
3. Carlson, B. D., "Covariance matrix estimation errors and diagonal loading in adaptive arrays," IEEE Trans. Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 24, No. 4, 397-401, Jul. 1988.
4. Elnashar, A., S. M. Elnoubi, and H. A. El-Mikati, "Further study on robust adaptive beamforming with optimum diagonal loading," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 12, 3647-3658, Dec. 2006.
5. Besson, O. and F. Vincent, "Performance analysis of beamformers using generalized loading of the covariance matrix in the presence of random steering vector errors," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 53, No. 2, 452-459, Feb. 2005.
6. Stocia, P., Z. Wang, and J. Li, "Robust capon beamforming," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 10, No. 6, 172-175, May 2003.
7. Vorobyov, S. A., A. B. Gershman, and Z. Q. Luo, "Robust adaptive beamforming using worst-case performance optimization," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 51, 313-324, Feb. 2003.
8. Liu, F., J. Wang, C. Y. Sun, and R. Du, "Robust MVDR beamformer for nulling level control via multi-parametric quadratic programming," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 20, 239-254, 2011.
9. De Natale, F., M. Donelli, S. Caorsi, D. Franceschini, and A. Massa, "A versatile enhanced genetic algorithm for planar array design," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 11, 1533-1548, 2004.
10. Massa, A., F. de Natale, S. Caorsi, M. Donelli, and A. Lommi, "Planar array control with genetic algorithms and adaptive array theory," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 11, 2919-2924, 2004.
11. Widrow, B., K. Duvall, R. Gooch, and W. Newman, "Signal cancellation phenomena in adaptive antennas: Causes and cures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 30, No. 3, 469-478, May 1982.
12. Boroson, D. M., "Sample size considerations for adaptive arrays," IEEE Trans. Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 16, No. 4, 446-451, Jul. 1980.
13. Grantz, M. W., R. L. Moses, and S. L. Wilson, "Convergence of the SMI and the diagonally loaded SMI algorithms with weak interference," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 38, No. 3, 394-399, Mar. 1990.
14. Brookner, E. and J. M. Howell, "Adaptive-adaptive array processing," Proceedings of the Phased Arrays Symposium, 133, 1985.
15. Reed, I. S., J. D. Mallett, and L. E. Brenna, "Rapid convergence rate in adaptive arrays," IEEE Trans. Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 10, No. 6, 853-863, Nov. 1974.
16. Hara, Y., "Weight-convergence analysis of adaptive antenna arrays based on SMI algorithm," IEEE Trans. Wireless Communications, Vol. 2, No. 4, 749-757, Jul. 2003.
17. Zhang, L., W. Liu, and L. Yu, "Performance analysis for finite sample MVDR beamformer with forward backward processing," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 59, No. 5, 2427-2431, May 2011.
18. Pados, D. A. and G. N. Karystinos, "An iterative algorithm for the computation of the MVDR filter," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 49, No. 2, 290-300, Feb. 2001.
19. Hudson, J. E., Adaptive Array Principles, Peter Peregrinus Ltd.-IET, 1981.
20. Farina, A., Antenna-based Signal Processing Techniques for Radar Systems, Artech House, Inc., Norwood, MA, 1992.
21. Baseri, R., K. B. Yu, and M. A. Hussain, Testing adaptive jamming cancellation algorithms using a digital beamforming array, Proc. IEEE Nat. Radar Conf., 314-319, Syracuse, NY, May 1997.
22. Compton, R. T., Adaptive Antennas: Concepts and Performance, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1988.
23. Horowitz, L. L., H. Blatt, W. G. Brodsky, and D. K. Senne, "Controlling adaptive arrays with the sample matrix inversion algorithm," IEEE Trans. Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 15, No. 6, 840-847, Nov. 1979.
24. Widrow, B. and J. M. McCool, "A comparison of adaptive algorithms based on the methods of steepest descent and random search," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 24, No. 5, 615-637, Sep. 1976.
25. Loecker, C., P. Knott, R. Sekora, and S. Algermissen, "Antenna design for a conformal antenna array demonstrator," 2012 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 151-153, 2012.
26. Kasemodel, J. A., C.-C. Chen, I. J. Gupta, and J. L. Volakis, "Miniature continuous coverage antenna array for GNSS receivers," IEEE Antennas And Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 47, 592-595, Dec. 2008.