This paper presents a new approach for localizing mobile phone users using the promising technique of stratospheric platform (SP) flying at altitudes 17-22 km high and a suitable Direction-of-Arrival technique (DOA). The proposed technique provides information about accurate locations for mobile stations - through high resolution DOA technique - which is very important for traffic control and rescue operations at emergency situations. The DOA estimation in this technique defines the user location using MUSIC algorithm which provides good accuracy comparable to the Global Positioning System (GPS) techniques but without the need for GPS receivers. Several scenarios for users' locations determination are tested and examined to define the robustness of the proposed technique.
2. Pavlidou, F. N., M. Ruggieri, M. Gerla, and R. Miura, "Communications via high altitude platforms: Technologies and trials," International Journal of Wireless Information Networks, Vol. 13, No. 4, 1-4, Jan. 2006.
3. Dessouky, M., H. Sharshar, and Y. Albagory, "Design of high altitude platforms cellular communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 251-261, 2007.
4. Karapantazis, S. and F. N. Pavlidou, "The role of high altitude platforms in beyond 3G networks," IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine, Vol. 12, No. 6, 33-41, 2005.
5. Mohammed, A., A. Mehmood, F. N. Pavlidou, and M. Mohorcic, "The role of high-altitude platforms (HAPs) in the wireless global connectivity," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 99, No. 11, 1939-1953, Nov. 2011.
6. Kim, J., D. Lee, J. Ahn, D. S. Ahn, and B. J. Ku, "Is HAPS viable for the next-generation telecommunication platforms in Koria," EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, Vol. 2008, 596383, 2008, doi: 1155/2008/596383.
7. Albagory, Y., "A novel design of arbitrary shaped cells for efficient coverage from high altitude platforms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 245-254, 2008.
8. Aljahdali, S., M. Nofal, and Y. Albagory, "Geometrical correction for cell deployment in stratospheric cellular systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,, Vol. 29, 83-96, 2012.
9. Nofal, M., S. Aljahdali, and Y. Albagory, "Tapered beamforming for concentric ring arrays," AEU International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 67, No. 1, 58-63, 2013.
10. Albagory, Y., M. Dessouky, and H. Sharshar, "An approach for low sidelobe beamforming in uniform concentric circular arrays," International Journal of Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 43, No. 4, 1363-1368, 2007.
11. Pace, P. and G. Aloi, "Disaster monitoring and mitigation using aerospace technologies and integrated telecommunication networks," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 23, No. 4, 3-9, Apr. 2008.
12. Li, N. J., J. F. Gu, and P. Wei, "2-D DOA estimation via matrix partition and stacking technique," EURASIP J. Adv. Signal Process. 2009, Vol. 53, 1-8, 2009.
13. Mathews, C. P. and M. D. Zoltowski, "Eigenstructure techniques for 2-D angle estimation with uniform circular arrays," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 42, No. 9, 2395-2407, 1994.
14. Pesavento, M. and J. F. Böhme, "Direction of arrival estimation in uniform circular arrays composed of directional elements," Proc. Sensor Array and Multichannel Signal Processing Workshop, 503-507, 2002.
15. Goossens, R. and H. Rogier, "A hybrid UCA-RARE/Root-MUSIC approach for 2-D direction of arrival estimation in uniform circular arrays in the presence of mutual coupling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 3, 841-849, 2007.
16. Zhang, T. T., Y. L. Lu, and H. T. Hui, "Compensation for the mutual coupling effect in uniform circular arrays for 2D DOA estimations employing the maximum likelihood technique," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 44, No. 3, 1215-1221, 2008.
17. Buhong, W., H. Hontat, and L. Mookseng, "Decoupled 2D direction of arrival estimation using compact uniform circular arrays in the presence of elevation-dependent mutual coupling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 3, 747-755, 2010.
18. Xie, J., Z. He, H. Li, and J. Li, "2D DOA estimation with sparse uniform circular arrays in the presence of mutual coupling," EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, Vol. 2011, 127, 2011.
19. Liu, F. L., Study on parameter estimation algorithms for multipath signals in wireless networks, Doctoral Dissertation, Northeastern University, Shenyang, China, 2005.
20. Wu, Y. T., G. S. Liao, and H. C. So, "A fast algorithm for 2-D direction-of-arrival estimation," Signal Processing, Vol. 83, 1827-1831, 2003.
21. Kuroda, T., N. Kikuma, and N. Inagaki, "DOA estimation and pairing method in 2D-ESPRIT using triangular antenna array," Electronics and Communications, Vol. 86, No. 6, 59-68, 2003.
22. Wei, L. and Y. Hua, "A further remark on the shifted cross array for estimating 2-D directions of wave arrival," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 40, No. 1, 493-497, 1993.
23. Chen, Y. M., J. H. Lee, and C. C. Yeh, "Two-dimensional angle-of-arrival estimation for uniform plannar arrays with sensor position errors," IEE Proceedings, Vol. 140, No. 2, 37-42, 1993.
24. Mathews, C. P. and M. D. Zoltowski, "Eigenstructure techniques for 2-D angle estimation with uniform circular arrays," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 42, No. 9, 2395-2407, 1994.
25. Liu, T. H. and J. M. Mendel, "Azimuth and elevation direction finding using arbitrary array geometries," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 46, No. 7, 2061-2065, 1998.
26. Dong, Y., Y. T. Wu, and G. S. Liao, "A novel method for estimating 2-D DOA," Journal of Xidian University, Vol. 30, No. 5, 569-573, 2003.
27. Kuroda, T., N. Kikuma, and N. Inagaki, "DOA estimation and pairing method in 2D-ESPRIT using triangular antenna array," Electrons. and Communications, Vol. 86, No. 6, 1505-1513, 2003.
28. Van der Veen, A. J., P. B. Ober, and E. F. Deprettere, "Azimuth and elevation computation in high resolution DOA estimation," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 40, No. 7, 1828-1832, 1992.
29. Filik, T. and T. Engin Tuncer, "2-D paired direction-of-arrival angle estimation with two parallel uniform linear arrays," International Journal of Innovative Computing, Information and Control, Vol. 7, No. 6, 3269-3279, Jun. 2011.
30. Hua, Y., T. K. Sarkar, and D. D. Weiner, "An L-shaped array for estimating 2-D directions of wave arrival," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 2, 143-146, 1991.
32. Tan, P., "Study of 2D DOA estimation for uniform circular array in wireless location system," International Journal of Computer Network and Information Security, Vol. 2, 54-60, 2010.
33. Albagory, Y. and A. Ashour, "MUSIC 2D-DOA estimation using split vertical linear and circular arrays," International Journal of Computer Network and Information Security, Vol. 5, No. 8, 12-18, 2013.