Micro-Doppler (MD) caused by the motion of the ballistic missile can contribute to successful recognition of the ballistic missile. Considering the real observation scenario. This paper proposes a method to derive the MD image of the ballistic missile by applying the range-Doppler algorithm (RDA) based on the real flight scenario and analyzes the factor for the real-time MD imaging. Simulation results using the flight trajectory constructed using the real target parameter demonstrate that we need a new cost function for phase adjustment and a new method for range alignment. In addition, matched-filtering needs to be performed in the baseband, and a sufficient PRF is required to prevent discontinuity of the MD image. Dechirping of MD and filtering of the random movement are also needed for a clear MD image.
2. Chen, V. C., F. Li, S. Ho, and H.Wechsler, "Micro-Doppler effect in radar," IEEE Trans. Aerospace Electron Syst., Vol. 42, No. 1, 2-21, Oct. 1996.
3. Gao, H., L. Xie, S. Wen, and Y. Kuang, "Micro-Doppler signature extraction from ballistic target with micro-motions," IEEE Trans. Aerospace Electron Syst., Vol. 46, No. 4, 1969-1982, Oct. 2010.
4. Liu, L., X. Du, M. Ghogho, W. Hu, and D. McLernon, "Precession missile feature extraction using sparse component analysis of radar measurements," EURASIP J. Adv. Sig. Pr., Vol. 2012, No. 24, 1-10, Feb. 2012.
5. Park, S.-H., J.-H. Lee, and K.-T. Kim, "Performance analysis of the scenario-based construction method for real target ISAR recognition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 137-151, 2012.
6. Park, J.-H. and N. H. Myung, "Enhanced and efficient ISAR image focusing using the discrete Gabor representation in an oversampling scheme," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 227-244, 2013.
7. Naqvi, A. and H. Ling, "Time-frequency and ISAR characteristics of wind turbines with higher order motions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 143, 331-347, 2013.
8. Choi, I.-O., J.-H. Jung, S.-H. Kim, K.-T. Kim, and S.-H. Park, "Classification of targets improved by fusion of the range profile and the inverse synthetic aperture radar image," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 144, 23-31, 2013.
9. Mahafza, B., MATLAB Simulations for Radar Systems Design Using MATLAB, Chapter 7, Champman & Hall/CRC Press LLC, Jan. 2000.
10. Soumekh, M., Synthetic Aperturer Radar Signal Processing with MATLAB Algorithms, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1999.
11. Carrara, W. G., R. S. Goodman, and R. M. Majewski, Spotlight Synthetic Aperture Radar Signal Processing Algorithms, Artech House, 1995.
12. Skolnik, M. I., Introduction to Radar Systems, 3rd Ed., McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc., 2001.
13. Hale, F. J., Introduction to Space Flight, Prentice Hall, 1993.
14. Kim, N.-J., "A study on the analysis of the °ight trajectory characteristics for ballistic missiles,", M.S. Thesis, Korea National Defense University, Seoul, 1999.
15. Li, X., G. Liu, and J. Ni, "Autofocusing of ISAR images based on entropy minimization," IEEE Trans. Aerospace Electron Syst., Vol. 35, No. 4, 1240-1251, Oct. 1999.
16. Jung, H. R., H. T. Ki, and K. T. Kim, "Application of subarray averaging and entropy minimization algorithm to stepped-frequency ISAR autofocus," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 4, 1144-1154, 2008.
17. Wang, J., X. Liu, and Z. Zhou, "Minimum-entropy phase adjustment for ISAR," IEE Proc. of Radar, Sonar and Nav., Vol. 151, No. 4, 203-209, Aug. 2004.
18. Qian, S., Introduction to Time-frequency and Wavelet Transforms, Prentice Hall, 2002.
19. Chen, V. C. and H. Ling, Time-frequency Transforms for Radar Imaging and Signal Analysis, Artech House, 2002.