A novel approach to design microstrip ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filter (BPF) using modified genetic algorithm (MGA) is proposed in this paper. To achieve high efficiency and accuracy, conventional GA is modified. By improving the fitness evaluation, selection, crossover, and mutation, the two possible drawbacks of conventional GA, i.e., slow rate of convergence and local-best solution, are overcome. The modified genetic algorithm is then applied to simultaneously search for the appropriate circuit topology and the corresponding electrical parameters with UWB characteristic. To demonstrate the effectiveness of the novel approach, a new microstrip UWB BPF is designed and fabricated. Measurement results agree well with the design index and full-wave EM simulated results.
2. Zhu, L., S. Sun, and W. Menzel, "Ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filters using multiple-mode resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 11, 796-798, 2005.
3. Qiang, L., Y.-J. Zhao, Q. Sun, W. Zhao, and B. Liu, "A compact UWB HMSIW bandpass filter based on complementary split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 11, 237-243, 2009.
4. Packiaraj, D., K. J. Vinoy, and A. T. Kalghatgi, "Analysis and design of two layered ultra wide band filter," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 8-9, 1235-1243, 2009.
5. Wang, H., L. Zhu, and W. Menzel, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter with hybrid microstrip/CPW structure," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 12, 844-846, 2005.
6. Shobeyri, M. and M. H. Vadjed-Samiei, "Compact ultra-wideband bandpass filter with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 25-31, 2008.
7. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M. and M. Tayarani, "Miniature planar UWB bandpass filters with circular slots in ground," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 87-93, 2008.
8. Comez-Garcia, R. and J. I. Alonso, "Systematic method for the exact synthesis of ultra-wideband filtering responses using high-pass and low-pass sections," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 10, 3751-3764, 2006.
9. Hsu, M.-H. and J.-F. Huang, "Annealing algorithm applied in optimum design of 2.4 GHz and 5.2 GHz dual-wideband microstrip line filters," IEICE Trans. Electronics., Vol. E88C, No. 1, 47-56, 2005.
10. Bandler, J.-W., R.-M. Biernacki, S.-H. Chen, D.-G. Swanson, and S. Ye, "Microstrip filter design using direct EM field simulation," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 42, 1353-1359, 1994.
11. Sanada, H., H. Ito, M. Takezawa, and K. Watanabe, "Design of transmission line filters and matching circuits using genetic algorithms," IEE J. Trans. Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 2, 588-595, 2007.
12. Nishino, T. and T. Itoh, "Evolutionary generation of microwave line segment circuits by genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, 2048-2055, 2002.
13. Hsu, M.-H. and J.-F. Huang, "Annealing algorithm applied in optimum design of 2.4 GHz and 5.2 GHz dual-wideband microstrip line filters," IEICE Trans. Electronics., Vol. E88C, 47-56, 2009.
14. Tsai, L.-C. and C.-W. Hsue, "Dual-band bandpass filters using equal-length coupled-serial-shunted lines and Z-transforms technique," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech.,, Vol. 52, No. 4, 1111-1117, Apr. 2004.
15. Nicholson, G.-L. and M.-J. Lancaster, "Coupling matrix synthesis of cross coupled microwave filters using a hybrid optimisation algorithm," IET Trans. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, 950-958, 2008.
16. Wang, H., X. Tang, Y. Liu, and Y. Cao, "Analysis and design of ultra-wideband power divider by micro-genetic algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 10, 1341-1349, 2012.
17. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, Vol. 3rd, 412-415, Wiley, New York, USA, 2005.
18. Wu, X., Hu., Q. X. Chu, X. K. Tian, and O. Y. Xiao, "Quintuple-mode UWB bandpass filter with sharp roll-off and super-wide upper stopband," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 12, 661-663, 2011.
19. Peng, H., Y. Luo, and J. Zhao, "Compact microstrip UWB bandpass filter with two band-notches for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 45, 25-30, 2014.