It is well known that MUltiple SIgnal Classification (MUSIC)-type algorithm produces a good result for the imaging of thin dielectric inhomogeneity in full-view inverse scattering problems. In contrast, it yields a poor result in limited-view inverse scattering problems. In this paper, we verify the reason for the above by establishing a relationship between a MUSIC-type imaging function and the Bessel functions of the integer order of the first kind. This verification is based on the asymptotic expansion formula for thin dielectric inhomogeneity. Various numerical examples are shown for confirming our verification.
2. Ammari, H., J. Garnier, V. Jugnon, and H. Kang, "Stability and resolution analysis for a topological derivative based imaging functional," SIAM J. Control. Optim., Vol. 50, 48-76, 2012.
3. Ammari, H., J. Garnier, H. Kang, W.-K. Park, and K. Solna, "Imaging schemes for perfectly conducting cracks," SIAM J. Appl. Math., Vol. 71, 68-91, 2011.
4. Ammari, H., E. Iakovleva, and aD. Lesselier, "A MUSIC algorithm for locating small inclusions buried in a half-space from the scattering amplitude at a fixed frequency," SIAM Multiscale Modeling Simulation, Vol. 3, 597-628, 2005.
5. Ammari, H., H. Kang, E. Kim, K. Louati, and M. S. Vogelius, "A MUSIC-type algorithm for detecting internal corrosion from electrostatic boundary measurements," Numer. Math., Vol. 108, 501-528, 2008.
6. Ammari, H., H. Kang, H. Lee, and W.-K. Park, "Asymptotic imaging of perfectly conducting cracks," SIAM J. Sci. Comput., Vol. 32, 894-922, 2010.
7. Beretta, E. and E. Francini, "Asymptotic formulas for perturbations of the electromagnetic fields in the presence of thin imperfections," Contemp. Math., Vol. 333, 49-63, 2003.
8. Chen, X. and Y. Zhong, "MUSIC electromagnetic imaging with enhanced resolution for small inclusions," Inverse Problems, Vol. 25, 015008, 2009.
9. Dorn, O. and D. Lesselier, "Level set methods for inverse scattering," Inverse Problems, Vol. 22, R67-R131, 2006.
10. Joh, Y.-D. and W.-K. Park, "Structural behavior of the MUSIC-type algorithm for imaging perfectly conducting cracks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 211-226, 2013.
11. Kwon, Y. M. and W.-K. Park, "Analysis of subspace migration in the limited-view inverse scattering problems," Appl. Math. Lett., Vol. 26, 1107-1113, 2013.
12. Ma, Y.-K., P.-S. Kim, and W.-K. Park, "Analysis of topological derivative function for a fast electromagnetic imaging of perfectly conducing cracks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 311-325, 2012.
13. Ma, Y.-K. and W.-K. Park, "A topological derivative based non-iterative electromagnetic imaging of perfectly conducting cracks," J. Electromagn. Eng. Sci., Vol. 12, 128-134, 2012.
14. Nazarchuk, Z. and K. Kobayashi, "Mathematical modelling of electromagnetic scattering from a thin penetrable target," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 55, 95-116, 2005.
15. Park, W.-K., "Multi-frequency topological derivative for approximate shape acquisition of curve-like thin electromagnetic inhomogeneities," J. Math. Anal. Appl., Vol. 402, 501-518, 2013.
16. Park, W.-K., "On the imaging of thin dielectric inclusions buried within a half-space," Inverse Problems, Vol. 26, 074008, 2010.
17. Park, W.-K., "On the imaging of thin dielectric inclusions via topological derivative concept," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 237-252, 2010.
18. Park, W.-K., "Topological derivative strategy for one-step iteration imaging of arbitrary shaped thin, curve-like electromagnetic inclusion," J. Comput. Phys., Vol. 231, 1426-1439, 2012.
19. Park, W.-K. and D. Lesselier, "Electromagnetic MUSIC-type imaging of perfectly conducting, arc-like cracks at single frequency," J. Comput. Phys., Vol. 228, 8093-8111, 2009.
20. Park, W.-K. and D. Lesselier, "Fast electromagnetic imaging of thin inclusions in half-space affected by random scatterers," Waves Random Complex Media, Vol. 22, 3-23, 2012.
21. Park, W.-K. and D. Lesselier, "MUSIC-type imaging of a thin penetrable inclusion from its far-field multi-static response matrix," Inverse Problems, Vol. 25, 075002, 2009.
22. Park, W.-K. and D. Lesselier, "Reconstruction of thin electromagnetic inclusions by a level set method," Inverse Problems, Vol. 25, 085010, 2009.
23. Rosenheinrich, W., "Tables of some indefinite integrals of bessel functions,", available at http://www.fh-jena.de/»rsh/Forschung/Stoer/besint.pdf.
24. Solimene, R., A. Dell'Aversano, and G. Leone, "Interferometric time reversal MUSIC for small scatterer localization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 243-258, 2012.