A pattern synthesis approach based on a modified alternating projection method for large planar arrays is presented in this paper. In the alternating projection method, pattern synthesis problem is considered as finding the intersection between two sets: the specification set and the feasible set. The former contains all the patterns that want to be obtained, while the latter contains all the patterns that can be realized. An element belongs to both sets is a solution to the problem. In this paper, a modified projection operator which varies with the iteration number is introduced because the conventional alternating projection method is known to suffer from low convergence rate and/or trapping on local optimum depending on the starting point. When the planar array has a nonuniform element layout, the unequally spaced elements are interpolated into virtual uniform elements with an interpolation of the least square sense. Then the synthesis problem is converted to the problem of a uniform array. Finally, several examples are presented to validate the advantages of the proposed method. Results show that the modified method is fast and obtains better results than the conventional one.
2. Mandal, D. and Y. N. Tapaswi, "Radiation pattern synthesis of linear antenna arrays by amplitude tapering using Genetic Algorithm," IEEE Applied Electromagnetics Conference (AEMC), 1-6, Kolkata, India, Dec. 2011.
3. Cen, L., et al., "Linear aperiodic array synthesis using an improved genetic algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 895-902, 2012.
4. Mandal, D. and A. K. Bhattacharjee, "Synthesis of cosec 2 pattern of circular array antenna using genetic algorithm," International Conference on IEEE Communications, Devices and Intelligent Systems (CODIS), 546-548, Kolkata, India, Dec. 2012.
5. Boeringer, D. W. and D. H. Werner, "Particle swarm optimization versus genetic algorithms for phased array synthesis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 3, 771-779, 2004.
6. Mandal, D., et al., "Linear antenna array synthesis using novel particle swarm optimization," IEEE Symposium on Industrial Electronics & Applications (ISIEA), 311-316, Penang, Malaysia, Oct. 2010.
7. Li, W. T., et al., "An extended particle swarm optimization algorithm or pattern synthesis of conformal phased arrays," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 20, No. 2, 190-199, 2010.
8. Wang, W. B., Q. Y. Feng, and D. Liu, "Application of chaotic particle swarm optimization algorithm to pattern synthesis of antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 173-189, 2011.
9. Wang, W. B., Q. Y. Feng, and D. Liu, "Synthesis of thinned linear and planar antenna arrays using binary PSO algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 371-387, 2012.
10. Ferreira, J. A. and F. Ares, "Pattern synthesis of conformal arrays by the simulated annealing technique," Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, No. 14, 1187-1189, 1997.
11. Girard, T., et al., "A simulated annealing algorithm for planar or conformal antenna array synthesis with optimized polarization," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 28, No. 2, 86-89, 2001.
12. Tang, W. and Y. Zhou, "Frequency invariant power pattern synthesis for arbitrary arrays via simulated annealing," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 25, 1647-1648, 2010.
13. Li, W. T., et al., "A hybrid optimization algorithm and its application for conformal array pattern synthesis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 10, 3401-3406, 2010.
14. Hussein, A. H., et al., "Optimum design of linear antenna arrays using a hybrid MoM/GA algorithm," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1232-1235, 2011.
15. Bai, Y. Y., et al., "A hybrid IWO/PSO algorithm for pattern synthesis of conformal phased arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 4, 2328-2332, 2013.
16. Yang, J., et al., "A hybrid ABC-DE algorithm and its application for time-modulated arrays pattern synthesis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 11, 5485-5495, 2013.
17. Keizer, W. P. M. N., "Fast low-sidelobe synthesis for large planar array antennas utilizing successive fast Fourier transforms of the array factor," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 3, 715-722, 2007.
18. Keizer, W. P. M. N., "Low-sidelobe pattern synthesis using iterative fourier techniques coded in MATLAB," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 51, No. 2, 137-150, 2009.
19. Kumar, B. P. and G. R. Branner, "Generalized analytical technique for the synthesis of unequally spaced arrays with linear, planar, cylindrical or spherical geometry," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 2, 621-634, 2005.
20. Ishimaru, A., "Theory of unequally-spaced arrays," IRE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 6, 691-702, 1962.
21. Oraizi, H. and M. Fallahpour, "Sum, difference and shaped beam pattern synthesis by non-uniform spacing and phase control," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 12, 4505-4511, 2011.
22. Yang, K., Z. Q. Zhao, and Q. H. Liu, "Fast pencil beam pattern synthesis of large unequally spaced antenna arrays," EEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 2, 627-634, 2013.
23. Wang, X. K., Y. C. Jiao, and Y. Y. Tan, "Synthesis of large thinned planar arrays using a modified iterative Fourier technique," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 4, 1564-1571, 2014.
24. Liu, J., et al., "A hybrid optimization for pattern synthesis of large antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 81-91, 2014.
25. Poulton, G. T., "Antenna power pattern synthesis using method of successive projections," Electronics Letters, Vol. 22, No. 20, 1042-1043, 1986.
26. Bucci, O. M., G. D. 'Elia, G. Mazzarella, and G. Panariello, "Antenna pattern synthesis: A new general approach," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 82, No. 3, 358-371, 1994.
27. Zhao, F., et al., "Hybrid alternate projection algorithm and its application for practical conformal array pattern synthesis," Systems Engineering and Electronics, Vol. 23, No. 5, 625-632, 2012.
28. Han, G. D., W. Wu, and B. Du, "Perturbation alternating projections method for pattern synthesis of phased array antenna," IEEE Global Symposium on Millimeter Waves (GSMM), 385-388, Harbin, China, May 2012.
29. Liu, Q. H. and N. Nguyen, "An accurate algorithm for nonuniform fast Fourier transforms (NUFFT's)," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 8, No. 1, 18-20, 1998.
30. Kelley, D. F. and W. L. Stutzman, "Array antenna pattern modeling methods that include mutual coupling effects," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 2, 1625-1632, 1993.
31. DeLuccia, C. S. and D. H. Werner, "Nature-based design of aperiodic linear arrays with broadband elements using a combination of rapid neural network estimation techniques and genetic algorithms," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 5, 13-23, Oct. 2007.
32. Oraizi, H. and M. Fallahpour, "Nonuniformly spaced linear array design for the specified beamwidth/sidelobe level or specified directivity/sidelobe level with mutual coupling considerations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 4, 185-209, 2008.