This paper investigates the channel characterization of Rayleigh fading channel using K-band frequency-modulated continuous wave (FMCW) radar system. An IF (intermediate frequency) signal of K-band FMCW radar can be treated as time and frequency domain signals due to a unique property of linear frequency modulation (LFM). First, channel sounder FMCW radar stability has been confirmed by measuring power flatness of transmitted radio frequency signal and estimated range in anechoic chamber before conducting the experiment for channel characterization of Rayleigh fading channel. Next, the measurement setup has been conducted in reverberation chamber which emulates multipath fading phenomena. In reverberation chamber, four different cases have been examined by changing the boundary conditions inside it with and without flat microwave absorbers. This investigation leads to obtained scattered plots, normalized propagation delay profiles (PDPs), mean excess delay, root-mean-square (RMS) delay spread and envelope distribution of Rayleigh fading channel at about 24.591 GHz.
2. Leonid, A. B., M. S. Sergey, and N. K. Victor, Handbook of RF, Microwave, and Millimeter-wave Components, Artech House, 2012.
3. Klotz, M. and H. Rohling, "24 GHz radar sensors for automotive applications," 13th International Conference on Microwaves, Radar and Wireless Communications, Vol. 1, 359-362, 2000.
4. Kneifel, S., M. Maahn, G. Peters, and C. Simmer, "Observation of snowfall with a low-powe FMCW K-band radar (Micro Rain Radar)," Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, Vol. 113, No. 1-2, 75-87, 2011.
5. Kaminski, P., K. Staszek, K. Wincza, and S. Gruszczynski, "K-band FMCW radar module with interferometic capability for industrial applications," 15th International Radar Symposium (IRS), 1-4, Jun. 2014.
6. Im, Y. T., M. Ali, and S. O. Park, "Slow modulation behavior of the FMCW radar for wireless channel sounding technology," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 99, 1-9, 2014.
7. Chen, X., P.-S. Kildal, and S.-H. Lai, "Estimation of average Rician K factor and average mode bandwidth in loaded reverberation chamber," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1437-2011, Nov. 21, 2011.
8. Holloway, C. L., H. A. Shah, R. J. Pirkl, K. A. Remley, D. A. Hill, and J. Ladbury, "Early time behavior in reverberation chambers and its effect on the relationships between coherence bandwidth, chamber decay time, RMS delay spread, and the chamber buildup time," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 54, No. 4, 714-725, Aug. 2012.
9. Holoway, C. L., D. A. Hill, J. M. Ladbury, P. F. Wilson, G. Koepke, and J. Coder, "On the use of reverberation chambers to simulate a Rician radio environment for the testing of wireless devices," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3167-3177, Nov. 2006.
10., PNA Millimeter-Wave Network Analyzers: Analysis of Cable Length on VNA System Performance, Agilent Technologies, Santa Clara, CA, USA, 2004.
11. Rappaport, T. S., Wireless Communications: Principles and Practice, Chapter 4, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1999.
12. Cox, D. C., "Delay Doppler characteristics of multipath propagation at 910 MHz in a suburban mobile radio environment," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 20, No. 5, 625-635, Sep. 1972.
13. Feeney, S. M., "Wide-band channel sounding in the bands above 2GHz,", Doctoral Dissertation, Centre Commun. Syst., School Eng., Univ. Durham, Durham, U.K., 2007.
14. Salous, S., S. Feeney, N. Razvi-Ghods, and M. Abdalla, "Sounders for MIMO channel measurements," European Signal Processing Conference, Florence, Italy, Sep. 4, 2006.
15. Salous, S., P. Filippidis, R. Lewenz, I. Hawkins, N. Razavi-Ghods, and M. Abdallah, "Parallel receiver channel sounder for spatial and MIMO characterization of the mobile radio channel," IEE Proc. Commun., Vol. 6, No. 152, 912-918, Dec. 9, 2005.
16. Salous, S. and H. Gokalp, "Dual-frequency sounder for UMTS frequency division duplex channels," IEE Proc. Commun., Vol. 149, No. 2, 117-122, Apr. 2002.
17. Feeney, S. M. and S. Salous, "Implementation of a channel sounder for the 60GHz band," Proc. URSI XXIX Gen. Assem., Chicago, 2008.