In order to decouple traditional levitation windings and armature windings, a new self-decoupling magnetic levitation generator (SDMLG) is proposed for wind turbines. This new generator adopts double-stator structure. The armature windings are in the outer stator, and the levitation windings are in the inner stator. The rotor is made of a distributed hollow structure, so that it can effectively decouple the levitation subsystem and armature subsystem. The new structure and operating principle of the generator are presented in this paper. Then the expressions of levitation forces are deduced by analyzing magnetic flux distributions and winding flux linkages. Finite-element analysis method (FEA) is used as the tool for analyzing the performance of the new generator. And the results verify that the levitation windings and armature windings are effectively decoupled.
1. Zurcher, F., T. Nussbaumer, and J. W. Kolar, "Motor torque and magnetic levitation force generation in bearingless brushless multipole motors," IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol. 17, No. 6, 1088-1097, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMECH.2011.2159511
2. Asama, J., D. Kanehara, and T. Oiwa, "Levitation performance of a two-axis actively regulated consequent-pole bearingless motor," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 28, No. 4, 894-901, 2013. doi:10.1109/TEC.2013.2283724
3. Nishida, K., T. Ahmed, and M. Nakaoka, "A cost-effective high-efficiency power conditioner with simple MPPT control algorithm for wind-power grid integration," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 47, No. 2, 893-900, 2011. doi:10.1109/TIA.2010.2103294
4. Chinchilla, M., S. Arnaltes, and J. C. Burgos, "Control of permanent-magnet generators applied to variable-speed wind-energy systems connected to the grid," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 21, No. 1, 130-135, 2006. doi:10.1109/TEC.2005.853735
5. Wai, R. J., C. Y. Lin, and Y. R. Chang, "Novel maximum power extraction algorithm for PMSG wind generation system," IET Electric Power Applications, Vol. 1, No. 2, 275-283, 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-epa:20050514
6. Fan, Y. H., et al., "Passive magnetic bearing design for a small wind generator system," Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 145, 174-178, 2012.
7. Patel, N. and M. N. Uddin, "Design and performance analysis of a magnetically levitated vertical axis wind turbine based axial flux PM generator," 7th International Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, ICECE 2012, 741-745, 2012. doi:10.1109/ICECE.2012.6471657
8. Shrestha, G., et al., "Structural flexibility: A solution for weight reduction of large direct-drive wind-turbine generators," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 25, No. 3, 732-740, 2010. doi:10.1109/TEC.2010.2048713
9. Zhang, G. M., L. Mei, and D. M. Wang, "A direct-drive wind power generator along horizontal axis with five-degree of freedom magnetic levitation,", 201110083824.6, Patent, China, Apr. 2, 2011.
10. Sun, X. D., L. Chen, and Z. B. Yang, "Overview of bearingless permanent-magnet synchronous motors," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 60, No. 12, 5528-5538, 2013. doi:10.1109/TIE.2012.2232253
11. Okada, Y., et al., "Development of hybrid type self-bearing slice motor for small and high speed rotary machines," 2001 Conference Record-IAS Annual Meeting (IEEE Industry Applications Society), Vol. 3, 2005-2012, 2001.
12. Cao, X. and Z. Q. Deng, "A full-period generating mode for bearingless switched reluctance generators," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 20, No. 3, 1072-1076, 2010. doi:10.1109/TASC.2010.2041206
13. Wang, J., S. Kim, and N. Kim, "A study on the bearingless switched reluctance rotation motor with improved motor performance," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 27, No. 5, 1407-1414, 2013. doi:10.1007/s12206-013-0321-6
14. Asama, J., et al., "Proposal and analysis of a novel single-drive bearingless motor," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 60, No. 1, 129-138, 2013. doi:10.1109/TIE.2012.2183840
15. Chiba, A. and J. Asama, "Influence of rotor skew in induction type bearingless motor," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 48, No. 11, 4646-4649, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2012.2198872
16. Zhu, Z. Q. and D. Howe, "Influence of design parameters on cogging torque in permanent magnet machines," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 15, No. 4, 407-412, 2006. doi:10.1109/60.900501
17. Wang, H., et al., "Design of novel bearingless switched reluctance motor," IET Electric Power Applications, Vol. 6, No. 2, 73-81, 2012. doi:10.1049/iet-epa.2010.0229
18. Peng, W., F. G. Zhang, and J. W. Ahn, "Design and control of novel bearingless SRM with double stator," 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, 1928-1933, 2012. doi:10.1109/ISIE.2012.6237387
19. Hu, Y. F., Z. D. Zhou, and Z. F. Jiang, The Basic Theory and Application of Magnetic Bearings, Machinery Industry Publishers, Beijing, 2006.
20. Young, W. C., Roark’s Formulas for Stress and Strain, 6th Edition, McGraw-Hill, Singapore, 1989.