We theoretically investigate the photonic band gaps in one-dimensional photonic crystals based on nanocomposite of silver nanoparticles. The dielectric permittivity is calculated in accordance with temperature dependence of plasma frequency of silver nanoparticle. The effect of temperature on these structures by incorporating the volume expansion coefficient of nanoparticle is analysed. The behaviors of photonic band gaps with variation of nanoparticle concentration, radii of nanoparticle, thickness of the layers and temperature are observed. The evolution of these results leads to designing the desired photonic crystals.
1. Yablonovitch, E., "Inhibited spontaneous emission in solid-state physics and electronics," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, 3059-3062, 1987. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.58.2059
2. John, S., "Strong localization of photons in certain disordered dielectric superlattices," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, 2486-2489, 1987. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.58.2486
3. Zhang, Y., et al., "Fabrication of functional colloidal photonic crystals based on well-designed latex particles," J. Mater. Chem., Vol. 21, 14113, 2011. doi:10.1039/c1jm10977d
4. Busch, K. and S. John, "Liquid-crystal photonic-band-gap materials: The electromagnetic vacuum," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 83, 967, 1999. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.83.967
5. Porras-Montenegro, N. and C. A. Duque, "Temperature and hydrostatic pressure effects on the photonic band structure of a 2D honeycomb lattice," Physica E, Vol. 42, 1865-1869, 2010. doi:10.1016/j.physe.2010.02.016
6. Gajc, M., et al., "Nanoparticle direct doping: Novel method for manufacturing three-dimensional plasmonic nanocomposites," Advanced Functional Materials, Vol. 23, 3443-3451, 2013. doi:10.1002/adfm.201203116
7. Perez, D. P., Silver Nanoparticles, In-Tech Publications, 2010.
8. Oraevski, A. N. and I. E. Protsenko, "High refractive index and other properties of Heterogenic media," JETP Lett., Vol. 72, 445-449, 2000. doi:10.1134/1.1339896
10. Challener, W. A., et al., "Heat-assisted magnetic recording by a near-field transducer with efficient optical energy transfer," Nature Photon., Vol. 3, 303, 2000. doi:10.1038/nphoton.2009.71
11. Cai, W., J. S. White, and N. L. Brongersma, "Compact, high-speed and power-efficient electrooptic plasmonic modulators," Nano. Lett., Vol. 9, 4403, 2009. doi:10.1021/nl902701b
12. Dyachenko, P. N. and Y. V. Miklyaev, "One-dimensional photonic crystal based on nanocomposite of metal nanoparticles and dielectric," Optical Memory and Neural Networks, Vol. 16, 198-203, 2007. doi:10.3103/S1060992X07040029
13. Johnson, P. B. and R. N. Christy, "Optical constants of the noble metals," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 6, 4370, 1972. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.6.4370
14. Tanner, D. B., "Optical effects in solids,", Department of Physics, University of Florida, USA, 2013.
15. Yeshchenko, O. A., et al., "Temperature dependence of the surface plasmon in silver nanoparticles," Functional Materials, Vol. 20, 357-365, 2013.
17. Kittel, C., Solid State Physics, 8th Ed., 2011.
18. Born, M. and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, 6th Ed., Peragamon, Oxford, 1980.
19. Suthar, B., V. Kumar, A. Kumar, K. S. Singh, and A. Bhargava, "Thermal expansion of photonic band gap for one dimensional photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 32, 81-90, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL12041906
21. Labbani, A. and A. Benghalia, "Modeling by FDTD of some optical properties of photonic crystals based on a nanocomposite of silver in TiO2," PIERS Proceedings, 495-498, Marrakesh, Morocco, Mar. 20-23, 2011.