To avoid the spatial variation of scattering characteristic effect, a three-dimensional synthetic aperture radar (3-D SAR) imaging based radar cross section (RCS) extraction technique with fixed transmitter is developed. The 3-D SAR image is used to extract targets' RCS, so it can spatially distinguish different parts of a complex object, or the targets' RCS from environment. With the abilities of outdoor measurement, it can greatly reduce the cost of measurement. Two simulations of three squares and a 3-D complex-shaped electric-large flight model demonstrate the accurate prediction of RCS.
1. Sheen, D., D. McMakin, and T. Hall, "Near-field three-dimensional radar imaging techniques and applications," Applied Optics, Vol. 49, No. 19, E83-E93, 2010. doi:10.1364/AO.49.000E83
2. Cown, B. J., C. Ryan, and Jr., "Near-field scattering measurements for determining complex target RCS," IEEE Trans. Anten. Propag., Vol. 31, No. 5, 576-595, 1989. doi:10.1109/8.24185
3. Hu, C. F., et al., "Indoor accurate RCS measurement technique on UHF band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 279-289, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08011402
4. Broquetaset, A., et al., "A compact system for radar cross section measurement and imaging up to 40 GHz," Proc. JINA, 596-599, Nice, France, 1990.
5. Antoni, B., P. Josep, L. Jofre, and C. Angel, "Spherical wave near-field imaging and radar cross-section measurement," IEEE Trans. Anten. Propag., Vol. 46, No. 5, 730-735, 1998. doi:10.1109/8.668918
6. Nicholson, K. J. and C. H.Wang, "Improved near-field radar cross-section measurement technique," IEEE Anten. Wirel. Propag. Letters, Vol. 8, 1103-1106, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2033951
7. Thomas, V. and F. E. Thomas, "Comparison and application of near-field isar imaging techniques for far-field radar cross section determination," IEEE Trans. Anten. Propag., Vol. 54, No. 1, 144-151, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.861549
8. Li, S., B. Zhu, and H. Sun, "NUFFT-based near-field imaging technique for far-field radar cross section calculation," IEEE Anten. Wirel. Propag. Letters, Vol. 9, 550-553, 2010.
9. Woo, J. C., et al., "Near-field-to-far-field transformation using wavenumber migration technique for a 3D spotlight SAR," 3rd APSAR, Seoul, Korea, 2011.
10. Shi, J., K. F. Liao, and X. L. Zhang, "Three-dimensional SAR with fixed transmitter and its scattering explanation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 285-307, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12081403
11. Ford, K. L., J. C. Bennett, and D. G. Holtby, "Use of a plane-wave synthesis technique to obtain target RCS from near-field measurements, with selective feature extraction capability," IEEE Trans. Anten. Propag., Vol. 61, No. 4, 2051-2057, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2232636
12. Knott, E. F., J. F. Shaeffer, and M. T. Tuley, Radar Cross Section, Its Prediction, Measurement and Reduction, Artech House, Inc., 1985.
14. Sheppard, Jr., C., A. Choudhury, and J. Gannaway, "Electromagnetic field near the focus of wide-angular lens and mirror systems," IEE J. Microw. Optics Acous., Vol. 1, No. 4, 129-132, 1977. doi:10.1049/ij-moa.1977.0015
15. Smit, J. C., J. E. Cilliers, and E. H. Burger, "Comparison of MLFMM, PO and SBR for RCS investigations in radar applications," IET Intern. Conf. Radar Sys., Glasgow UK, 2012.
16. Yan, W., et al., "A novel 3-D imaging technique for interferometric circular SAR system," IEEE URSI GASS, 2014.
17. Wei, S. J., et al., "Sparse array microwave 3-D imaging: Compressed sensing recovery and experimental study," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 135, 161-181, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12082305