In this paper, angular glint characteristics of a two-dimension (2-D) perfect electric conductor (PEC) target above a PEC rough surface are investigated. The induced surface currents on the target and on the rough surface are obtained by employing the method of moments com-bining UV matrix decomposition technique (MOM-UV). Based on electromagnetic (EM) theory and the phase-front distortion concept of angular glint, the formulae of angular glint for 2-D target are proposed, and angular glint is calculated precisely by using phase gradient method (PGM). The analysis of the result is implemented by means of numerical extraction of the coupling currents and relationship between the phase front and angular glint, thus revealing the effects of the coupling on the angular glint.
1. Howard, D. D., "Radar target glint in tracking and guidance system based on echo signal phase distortion," Proceedings of the National Electronics Conference, Vol. 15, 840-849, 1959.
2. Lindsay, J. E., "Angular glint and the moving, rotating, complex radar target," IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 4, 164-173, 1968. doi:10.1109/TAES.1968.5408954
3. Dunn, J. H. and D. D. Howard, "Radar target amplitude, angle and Doppler scintillation from analysis of the echo signal propagating in space," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 16, 715-728, 1968. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1968.1126776
4. Yin, H. C. and P. K. Huang, "Unification and comparison between two concepts of radar target angular glint," IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 31, 778-783, 1995. doi:10.1109/7.381924
5. Kajenski, P. J., "Comparison of two theories of angle glint: Polarization consideration," IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 42, 206-210, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAES.2006.1603415
6. Zhang, G. F. and C. Wang, "Calculation of angular glint in near field utilizing graphical electromagnetic computing," Journal of Systems Engineering and Electronics, Vol. 9, 906-911, 2013. doi:10.1109/JSEE.2013.00105
7. Yelkenci, T., "Imaging of rough surfaces having impedance boundary condition by the use of Newton iterative algorithm," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 7, 190-194, 2010. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2009.2030904
8. Guan, B. and J. F. Zhang, "Electromagnetic scattering from objects above a rough surface using the method of moments with half-space green’s function," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 47, 3399-3405, 2009. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2009.2022169
9. Liang, D., P. Xu, L. Tsang, Z. Gui, and K.-S. Chen, "Electromagnetic scattering by rough surfaces with large heights and slopes with applications to microwave remote sensing of rough surface over layered media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 199-218, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09071413
10. Du, Y., J. C. Shi, Z. Y. Li, and J. A. Kong, "Analysing EM scattering from randomly rough surfaces using stochastic second-degree iterative method, sparse matrix algorithm and Chebyshev approximation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, 292-293, 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2009.2543
11. Du, Y. and B. Liu, "A numerical method for electromagnetic scattering from dielectric rough surfaces based on the stochastic second degree method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 327-342, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09092501
12. Guo, L. X., A. Q. Wang, and J. Ma, "Study on EM scattering from 2-D target above 1-D large scale rough surface with low grazing incidence by parallel MoM based on PC clusters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 149-166, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08121002
13. He, S. Y. and G. Q. Zhu, "A hybrid MM-PO method combining UV technique for scattering from two-dimensional target above a rough surface," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, 2957-2960, 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22922
14. Deng, F. S., et al., "Numerical simulation of vector wave scattering from the target and rough surface composite model with 3-D multilevel UV method," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 1625-1634, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2044335
15. Ye, H. X. and Y. Q. Jin, "Fast iterative approach to difference scattering from the object above a rough surface," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 44, 108-115, 2006. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2005.859955