A terahertz (THz) antenna is proposed that offers high input resistance and gain in the presence of an electrically thick GaAs substrate. The antenna is centrally fed using two vertical probes connected to a photomixer on a thin low temperature grown gallium arsenide (LTG-GaAs) film which is supported by the GaAs substrate. An input impedance of ~3.3 kΩ has been achieved using a dipole antenna that is printed on a thin dielectric slab, and isolated from the supporting substrate using a metal ground plane. A square aperture has been introduced to facilitate the illumination of the photomixer with two laser beams. Furthermore, a frequency selective surface (FSS) has been incorporated in the configuration, which results in a broadside gain of ~19 dBi at a resonance frequency of 0.97 THz.
2. Wolf, M. and D. Kress, "Short-range wireless infrared transmission: The link bugdet compared to RF," IEEE Wireless Communications, Vol. 10, 8-14, Apr. 2003.
3. Siegel, P. H., "Terahertz technology," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, 910-928, Mar. 2002.
4. Kleine-Ostman, T. and T. Nagatsuma, "A review on terahertz communications research," J. Infrared Milli. Terahz Waves, Vol. 32, 143-171, Feb. 2011.
5. Gregory, I. S., C. Baker, W. R. Tribe, I. V. Bradley, M. J. Evans, E. H. Linfield, A. G. Davies, and M. Missous, "Optimization of photomixers and antennas for continuous-wave terahertz emission," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 41, 717-728, May 2005.
6. Brewitt-Taylor, C. R., D. J. Gunton, and H. D. Rees, "Planar antennas on a dielectric surface," Electron. Lett., Vol. 12, 729-931, 1981.
7. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, Wiley, USA, 2005.
8. Andres-Garcia, B., L. E. Garcia-Munoz, D. Segovia-Vargas, I. Camara-Mayorga, and R. Gusten, "Ultra-wideband antenna excited by a photomixer for terahertz band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 1-15, 2011.
9. Gregory, I. S., W. R. Tribe, B. E. Cole, M. J. Evans, E. H. Linfield, A. G. Davies, and M. Missous, "Resonant dipole antennas for continuous-wave terahertz photomixers," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 85, 1622-1624, Aug. 2004.
10. Ryu, H. C., S. I. Kim, M. H. Kwak, K. Y. Kang, and S. O. Park, "A folded dipole antenna having extremely high input impedance for continuous-wave terahertz power enhancement," 33rd Conference on IRMMW-THz, 1-2, Sep. 2008.
11. Han, K., T. K. Nguyen, I. Park, and H. Han, "Terahertz Yagi-Uda antenna for high input resistance," J. Infrared Milli. Terahz Waves, Vol. 31, 441-454, Apr. 2010.
12. Woo, I., T. K. Nguyen, H. Han, H. Lim, and I. Park, "Four-leaf-clover shaped antenna for a THz photomixer," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, 18532-18542, Aug. 2010.
13. Nguyen, T. K., H. Han, and I. Park, "Full-wavelength dipole antenna on a hybrid GaAs membrane and Si lens for a terahertz photomixer," J. Infrared Milli. Terahz Waves, Vol. 33, 333-347, Feb. 2012.
14. Nguyen, T. K., T. A. Ho, I. Park, and H. Han, "Full-wavelength dipole antenna on a GaAs membrane covered by a frequency selective surface for a terahertz photomixer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 441-455, 2012.
15. Zhu, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Photoconductive THz antenna designs with high radiation efficiency, high directivity, and high aperture efficiency," IEEE Trans. on THz Sci. Tech., Vol. 3, 721-730, Nov. 2013.
16. Montero-de-Paz, J., E. Ugarte-Muñoz, L. E. García-Muñoz, I. C. Mayorga, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Meanderdipole antenna to increase CW THz photomixing emitted power," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propgat., Vol. 62, 4868-4872, Sep. 2014.
17. Rana, E. and N. G. Alexopoulos, "Current distribution and input impedance of printed dipoles," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propgat., Vol. 29, 99-105, Jan. 1981.
18. CST Reference Manual, , Darmstadt, Germany, Computer Simulation Technology, 2015.
19. Duffy, S. M., S. Verghese, K. A. McIntosh, A. Jackson, A. C. Gossard, and S. Matsuura, "Accurate modeling of dual dipole and slot elements used with photomixers for coherent terahertz output power," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 49, 1032-1038, Jun. 2001.
20. Lee, Y. J., J. Yeo, R. Mittra, Y. Lee, and W. S. Park, "Design of high directivity electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) resonator antenna using a frequency selective surface (FSS) superstrate," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 43, 462-467, Dec. 2004.
21. Llombart, N., G. Chattopadhyay, A. Skalare, and I. Mehdi, "Novel terahertz antenna based on silicon lens fed by a leaky wave enhanced waveguide," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propgat., Vol. 59, 2160-2168, Jun. 2011.
22. Van der Vorst, M. J. M., P. J. I. de Maagt, and M. H. A. Herben, "Effects of internal reflections on the radiation properties and input admittance of integrated lens antennas," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, 1696-1704, Sep. 1999.
23. Mackenzie, K. D., D. J. Johnson, M. W. DeVre, R. J. Westerman, and B. H. Reelfs, "Stress control of Si-based PECVD dielectrics," 207th Electrochemical Society Meeting, 148-159, PV2005-01, May 2005.
24. Azzam Yasseen, A., J. D. Cawley, and M. Mehregany, "Thick glass film technology for polysilicon surface micromachining," IEEE J. of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 8, 172-179, Jun. 1999.