This paper deals with a fast and simple computational method of 3D near-field (NF) radiation from 2D planar frequency- and time-dependent data. The established calculation method can be used to predict the electromagnetic (EM) emission from various types of electronic devices. The proposed method is originally applicable to the computation of the EM NF along the arbitrary shaped curvilinear 3D surface of multi-shape objects. The EM computation consists in the application of the planar NF-to-NF transform using plane wave spectrum. The relevance of the established method is verified with three different validation tests of analytical and practical demonstrations. The first validation is based on the analytical NF radiation from set of elementary dipoles excited by a harmonic signal. The second validation test is based on the experimented data from a hybrid active printed circuit boards (PCBs) in the frequency domain. The last validation test is performed with the measured NF data from a microstrip planar circuit in the time-domain. For all the different test cases, the plots of EM NF on arbitrary curvilinear surfaces are presented. Applications with 3D visualization or holographic surface with arbitrary geometry of EM radiation from planar data in both frequency- and time-domains confirm the effectiveness of the proposed method to predict the EM NF emission from complex PCBs. The developed 2D-to-3D computational method is particularly useful for radiated EM compatibility engineering.
2. Archambeault, R., C. Brench, and S. Connor, "Review of printed-circuit-board level EMI/EMC issues and Ttools," IEEE Trans. EMC, Vol. 52, No. 2, 455-461, 2010.
3. Barrière, P. A., J. J. Laurin, and Y. Goussard, "Mapping of equivalent currents on high-speed digital printed circuit boards based on near-field measurements," IEEE Tran. EMC, Vol. 51, No. 3, 649-658, Aug. 2009.
4. Klinkenbusch, L., "Time domain near-field to near-field transformation using a spherical multipole approach," Radio Science, Vol. 46, No. 5, 1-8, RS0E17, Oct. 2011.
5. Weng, H., D. G. Beetner, and R. E. DuBroff, "Prediction of radiated emissions using near-field measurements," IEEE Trans. EMC, Vol. 53, No. 4, 891-899, Nov. 2011.
6. Hansen, T. B. and A. D. Yaghjian, "Planar near-field scanning in the time domain, Part 2: Sampling theorems and computation schemes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 42, No. 9, 1280-1291, 1994.
7. Serhir, M., P. Besnier, and M. Drissi, "An accurate equivalent behavioural model of antenna radiation using a mode-matching technique based on spherical near field measurements," IEEE Trans. on Ant. Prop., Vol. 56, No. 1, 48-57, Jan. 2008.
8. Las-Heras, F. and T. K. Sarkar, "A direct optimization approach for source reconstruction and NF-FF transformation using amplitude-only data," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 50, No. 4, 500-510, Apr. 2002.
9. Serhir, M., J.M. Geffrin, A. Litman, and P. Besnier, "Aperture antenna modeling by a finite number of elemental dipoles from spherical field measurements," IEEE Trans. on Ant. Prop., Vol. 58, No. 4, 1260-1268, Apr. 2010.
10., "Information technology equipment, radiated emission tests,", International Standard IEC/EN55022, 2007.
11., "Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) radiated immunity tests - Part 4-3: Testing and measurement techniques - Radiated, radio-frequency, electromagnetic field immunity test,", Internation Standard IEC/EN 61000-4-3, 2007.
12. Capozzoli, A., C. Curcio, and A. Liseno, "Experimental field reconstruction of incoherent sources," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 47, 219-239, 2013.
13. Laurin, J.-J., Z. Ouardhiri, and J. Colinas, "Near-field imaging of radiated emission sources on printed-circuit boards," 2001 IEEE Int. Symp. on Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Digest, Vol. 1, 368-373, Montréal, QC, Aug. 13-17, 2001.
14. Deschrijver, D., F. Vanhee, D. Pissoort, and T. Dhaene, "Automated near-field scanning algorithm for the EMC analysis of electronic devices," IEEE Trans. EMC, Vol. 54, No. 3, 502-510, Jun. 2012.
15. Liu, Y., B. Ravelo, and P. Fernandez-Lopez, "Modeling of magnetic near-field radiated by electronic devices disturbed by complex transient signals," Applied Physics Research (APR), Vol. 4, No. 1, 3-18, Feb. 2012.
16. Baudry, D., C. Arcambal, A. Louis, B. Mazari, and P. Eudeline, "Applications of the near-field techniques in EMC investigations," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 49, No. 3, 485-493, Aug. 2007.
17. Tong, X., D. W. P. Thomas, A. Nothofer, P. Sewell, and C. Christopoulos, "Modelling electromagnetic emissions from printed circuit boards in closed environments using equivalent dipoles," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 52, No. 2, 462-470, 2010.
18., "CST Studio Suite,", (2013 CST Computer Simulation Technology AG.), http://www.cst.com/Content/Products/CST S2/Overview.aspx, Accessed 2014.
19., "EMPro 3D EM Simulation Software,", (Agilent Technologies), http://www.home.agilent.com/en/pc-1297143/empro-3d-em-simulation-software, Accessed 2013.
20., "Electromagnetics, Circuit & Systems Solutions,", (ANSYS Inc.), http://www.ansys.com/Products/Simulation+Technology/Electromagnetics, Accessed 2013.
21., "EMC Studio,", (EMCoS Ltd.), http://www.emcos.com/EMC, Accessed 2014.
22., "Advanced EMC Solutions - FEKO Applications - EMC Analysis,", (Advanced EMC Solutions, Inc.), https://www.feko.info/product-detail/overview-of-feko, Accessed 2013.
23. Barrière, P. A., J. J. Laurin, and Y. Goussard, "Mapping of equivalent currents on high-speed digital printed circuit boards based on near-field measurements," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 51, No. 3, 649-658, Aug. 2009.
24. Aunchaleevarapan, K., K. Paithoonwatanakij, W. Khan-ngern, and S. Nitta, "Novel method for predicting PCB configurations for near-field and far-field radiated EMI using a neural network," IEICE Trans. Commun., Vol. E86-B, No. 4, 1364-1376, Apr. 2003.
25. Reinhold, C., C. Hangmann, T. Mager, C. Hedayat, and U. Hilleringmann, "Plane wave spectrum expansion from near-field measurements on no-planar lattices," Proc. 5th Int. Conf. on electromagnetic Near-field Characterization and Imaging (ICONIC) 2011, 1-4, Rouen, France, Nov. 30-Dec. 2, 2011.
26. Ravelo, B., Y. Liu, and J. Ben Hadj Slama, "Time-domain planar near-field/near-field transform with PWS operations," Eur. Phys. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 53, No. 1 (30701), 1-8, 2011.
27. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2005.