Time reversal techniques are based on the time reversal invariance of the wave equation. They use time-reversed fields recollected by an array antenna to perform imaging and focusing on the source of received signals. Two widely used time reversal techniques are DORT and time reversal MUSIC which are based on eigenvalue decomposition of the time reversal operator. We introduce a new time reversal technique based on independent component analysis (ICA). Time reversal ICA (TR-ICA) exploits the independence of scattered signals of the well-resolved targets to perform imaging. It breaks the mixed backscattered received signals to independent components by maximizing the non-Gaussianity of basic signals. The main advantage of this method is that imaging and focusing are achieved using only one transmitting antenna which simplifies the physical implementation drastically. We have simulated the performance of the introduced method in different scenarios such as selective focusing in the presence of scatterers with different materials, sizes and distances. In addition, the effect of noise on TR-ICA and through-the-wall imaging (TWI) are studied. Some of the results are compared to the DORT method. Finally, the validity of this algorithm is verified by performing physical measurements.
2. Fink, M., D. Cassereau, A. Derode, C. Prada, P. Roux, M. Tanter, J. L. Thomas, and F. Wu, "Time-reversed acoustics," Reports on Progress in Physics, Vol. 63, No. 12, 1933-1995, 2000.
3. Fouda, A. E. and F. L. Teixeira, "Imaging and tracking of targets in clutter using differential time-reversal techniques," Waves in Random and Complex Media, Vol. 22, No. 1, 2012.
4. Kosmas, P. and C. Rappaport, "Time reversal with the fdtd method for microwave breast cancer detection," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, 2317-2323, July 2005.
5. Kosmas, P. and C. Rappaport, "FDTD-based time reversal for microwave breast cancer detection-localization in three dimensions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, 1921-1927, June 2006.
6. Yavuz, M. and F. Teixeira, "Full time-domain dort for ultrawideband electromagnetic fields in dispersive, random inhomogeneous media," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 8, 2305-2315, 2006.
7. Lehman, S. K. and A. J. Devaney, "Transmission mode time-reversal super-resolution imaging," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, May 2003.
8. Yavuz, M. and F. Teixeira, "Space frequency ultrawideband time-reversal imaging," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 46, No. 4, 1115-1124, 2008.
9. Scholz, B., "Towards virtual electrical breast biopsy: Space-frequency music for trans-admittance data," IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, Vol. 21, No. 6, 588-595, 2002.
10. Razavian, M., M. Hosseini, and R. Safian, "Time-reversal imaging using one transmitting antenna based on independent component analysis," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 11, No. 9, 1574-1578, 2014.
11. Comon, P., "Independent component analysis, a new concept?," Signal Processing, Vol. 36, No. 3, 287-314, Higher Order Statistics, 1994.
12. Jutten, C., "Source separation: From dusk till dawn," 2nd Int. Workshop on Independent Component Analysis and Blind Source Separation, 15-26, 2000.
13. Jutten, C. and J. Herault, "Blind separation of sources, Part I: An adaptive algorithm based on neuromimetic architecture," Signal Processing, Vol. 24, No. 1, 1-10, 1991.
14. Hyvrinen, A., J. Karhunen, and E. Oja, Independent Component Analysis, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., May 2001.
15. Bell, A. J. and T. J. Sejnowski, "An information-maximization approach to blind separation and blind deconvolution," Neural Computation, Vol. 7, 1129-1159, April 2008.
16. Cardoso, J.-F. and A. Souloumiac, "Blind beamforming for non-Gaussian signals," IEE Proceedings F (Radar and Signal Processing), Vol. 140, 362370, December 1993.
17. Hyvarinen, A., "Fast and robust fixed-point algorithms for independent component analysis," IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 10, No. 3, 626-634, 1999.
18. Moss, C., F. Teixeira, Y. Yang, and J.-A. Kong, "Finite-difference time-domain simulation of scattering from objects in continuous random media," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 40, No. 1, 178-186, 2002.
19. Ishimaru, A., "Wave propagation and scattering in random media and rough surfaces," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 79, No. 10, 1359-1366, 1991.
20. Frisch, U., "Wave propagation in random media," Probabilitistic Methods in Applied Mathematics, 1968.
21. Harris, F., "On the use of windows for harmonic analysis with the discrete fourier transform," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 66, No. 1, 51-83, 1978.
22. Zhang, W., A. Hoorfar, and L. Li, "Through-the-wall target localization with time reversal MUSIC method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 75-89, 2010.
23. Bardak, C. and M. Saed, "Through the wall microwave imaging using fdtd time reversal algorithm," 2013 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 528-529, July 2013.