A plasma sheath can significantly alter the electromagnetic properties of an object, which leads to many practical applications. In this article, the electromagnetic scattering properties of a DB metamaterial cylinder coated with unmagnetized plasma are studied. The effects of layer thickness, non-uniform cladding (eccentric coating), electron number density, electron-neutral collision frequency and the frequency of incident wave on radar cross-section (RCS) of the object are discussed. It is found that the RCS of the DB metamaterial objects can be reduced or enhanced by appropriate values of plasma parameters, thickness or eccentricity. The anomalous behavior of backscattering crosssection of plasma coated DB cylinder has been observed at frequencies near plasma frequency. The results may serve as a noteworthy reference for experimentalists working in plasma stealth technology for metamaterials.
2. Jastrow, R. and C. A. Pearse, Atmospheric Drag on a Satellite, 1957.
3. Dolph, C. L. and H. Weil, "On the change in radar cross-section of a spherical satellite caused by a plasma sheath," Planetary and Space Science, Vol. 6, 123-132, 1961.
4. Rusch, W. V. T., "Radiation from a plasma-clad axially-slotted cylinder,", Electrical Engineering Department, University of Southern California, 1962.
5. Swarner, W. G., L. Peters, and Jr., "Radar cross sections of dielectric or plasma coated conducting spheres and circular cylinders," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 5, 558-569, 1963.
6. Chen, H. C. and D. K. Cheng, "Scattering of electromagnetic waves by an anisotropic plasma-coated conducting cylinder," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 3, 348-353, 1964.
7. Rybak, J. P. and R. J. Churchill, "Progress in reentry communications," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 5, 879-894, 1971.
8. Zheng, L., Q. Zhao, and X. J. Xing, "Effect of plasma on electromagnetic wave propagation and THZ communications for reentry flight," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 30, No. 11, 2015.
9. Shi, L., B. Guo, Y. Liu, and Ji. Li, "Characteristic of plasma sheath channel and its effect on communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 321-336, 2012.
10. He, G., Y. Zhan, N. Ge, Y. Pei, B. Wu, and Y. Zhao, "Channel characterization and finite-state Markov channel modeling for time-varying plasma sheath surrounding hypersonic vehicles," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 299-308, 2014.
11. Shan, Z.-X., "Electromagnetic scattering by an impedance cylinder coated eccentrically with a chiroplasma cylinder," IEE Proceedings --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 141, No. 4, 279-284, 1994.
12. Yin, B., F. Yang, H. Hao, and C. Li, "Analysis of scattering wave for a conducting cylinder coated with eccentric plasma," Radiation Effects and Defects in Solids, Vol. 168, No. 5, 344-351, 2013.
13. Li, J., X. Guo, Y.-C. Jiao, and R. Wang, "Composite scattering of a plasma-coated target above dispersive sea surface by the ADE-FDTD method," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 10, No. 1, 4-8, 2013.
14. Li, J., L.-X. Guo, Q. He, and B. Wei, "Investigation on scattering from a plasma-coated target over a rough sea surface using a multi-hybrid method," Waves in Random and Complex Media, Vol. 22, No. 3, 344-355, 2012.
15. Liu, S. and S. Zhong, "FDTD study on scattering for conducting target coated with magnetized plasma of time-varying parabolic density distribution," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 22, 13-25, 2012.
16. Sakai, O. and K. Tachibana, "Plasmas as metamaterials: A review," Plasma Sources Science and Technology, Vol. 21, No. 1, 013001, 2012.
17. Sakai, O., "Emerging aspects in a plasma-metamaterial composite," 2011 XXXth URSI IEEE General Assembly and Scientific Symposium, 1-4, 2011.
18. De Ridder, C.-M. and L. G. Peterson, "Scattering from a homogeneous plasma cylinder of infinite length,", Technical report, DTIC Document, 1962.
19. Geng, Y., X. Wu, and L.-W. Li, "Analysis of electromagnetic scattering by a plasma anisotropic sphere," Radio Science, Vol. 38, No. 6, 2003.
20. Wu, X. P., J.-M. Shi, Z. S. Chen, and B. Xu, "new plasma antenna of beam-forming," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 539-553, 2012.
21. Bulanov, S. V., T. Z. Esirkepov, J. Koga, and T. Tajima, "Interaction of electromagnetic waves with plasma in the radiation-dominated regime," Plasma Physics Reports, Vol. 30, No. 3, 196-213, 2004.
22. Umeda, T., Electromagnetic Waves in Plasma, INTECH Open Access Publisher, 2011.
23. Batchelor, D. B., R. C. Goldfinger, and H. Weitzner, "Propagation and absorption of electromagnetic waves in fully relativistic plasmas," Physics of Fluids (1958–1988), Vol. 27, No. 12, 2835-2846, 1984.
24. Ivanov, S. T. and E. G. Alexov, "Electromagnetic waves in a plasma waveguide," Journal of plasma Physics, Vol. 43, No. 1, 51-67, 1990.
25. Khalid, M., S. Ahmed, A. A. Syed, and Q. A. Naqvi, "Electromagnetic response of a circular db cylinder in the presence of chiral and chiral nihility metamaterials," Progress In Electroma Research M, Vol. 21, 253-266, 2011.
26. Li, C. and Z Shen, "Electromagnetic scattering by a conducting cylinder coated with metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 42, 91-105, 2003.
27. Kishk, A., et al., "Electromagnetic scattering from an eccentric multilayered circular cylinder," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 40, No. 3, 295-303, 1992.
28. Roumeliotis, J. A., J. G. Fikioris, and G. P. Gounaris, "Electromagnetic scattering from an eccentrically coated infinite metallic cylinder," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 51, No. 8, 4488-4493, 1980.
29. Lakhtakia, A., J. B. Geddes, and III, "Scattering by a nihility cylinder," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 61, No. 1, 62-65, 2007.
30. Ahmed, S. and Q. A. Naqvi, "Electromagnetic scattering from a chiral-coated nihility cylinder," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 18, 41-50, 2010.
31. Lindell, I. V. and A. H. Sihvola, "Electromagnetic boundary conditions defined in terms of normal field components," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 4, 1128-1135, 2010.
32. Lindell, I. V. and A. H. Sihvola, "Electromagnetic boundary and its realization with anisotropic metamaterial," Physical Review E, Vol. 79, No. 2, 026604, 2009.
33. Sihvola, A., H. Walien, P. Ylä-Oijala, J. Markkanen, and I. V. Lindell, "Material realizations of extreme electromagnetic boundary conditions and metasurfaces," 2011 XXXth URSI IEEE General Assembly and Scientific Symposium, 1-4, 2011.
34. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, 1989.