In this paper, we introduce an efficient algorithm to analyze metamaterials, which can be finite periodic structures with tightly coupling between nearby cells. Firstly, the algorithm, based on method of moments (MoM), uses hybrid volume-surface integral equation (VSIE) to analyze composite dielectric-conductor objects. Then, the characteristic basis function method (CBFM) and precorrected-fast Fourier transform (p-FFT) algorithm are combined to accelerate the calculation of equations, based on which, metamaterials composed of connected periodic cells can be analyzed efficiently.
2. Jin, J. F., S. Y. Liu, Z. F. Lin, and S. T. Chui, "Effective-medium theory for anisotropic magnetic metamaterials," Physical Review B, Vol. 80, 115101, 2009.
3. Lucente, E., A. Monorchio, and R. Mittra, "An iteration-free MoM approach based on excitation independent characteristic basis functions for solving large multiscale electromagnetic scattering problems," IEEE Trans. Ant. Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 4, 999-1007, 2008.
4. Lu, W. B., T. J. Cui, Z. G. Qian, X. X. Yin, and W. Hong, "Accurate analysis of large-scale periodic structures using an effcient sub-entire-domain basis function method," IEEE Trans. Ant. Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 11, 3078-3085, 2004.
5. Prakash, V. V. S. and R. Mittra, "Characteristic basis function method: A new technique for efficient solution of method of moments matrix equations," Microwave and Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 36, No. 2, 95-100, 2003.
6. Delgado, C., M. F. Cátedra, and R. Mittra, "Efficient multilevel approach for the generation of characteristic basis functions for large scatters," IEEE Trans. Ant. Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 7, 2134-2137, Jul. 2008.
7. Bianconi, G., C. Pelletti, R. Mittra, K. Du, S. Genovesi, and A. Monorchio, "Spectral domain characteristic basis function method for efficient simulation of microstrip devices in layered media," IET Microwaves, Ant. and Propagat., Vol. 6, No. 4, 411-417, 2012.
8. Konno, K., Q. Chen, K. Sawaya, and T. Sezai, "Optimization of block Size for CBFM in MoM," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 60, No. 10, 4719-4724, Oct. 2012.
9. Hu, L., L. W. Li, and R. Mittra, "Electromagnetic scattering by finite periodic arrays using the characteristic basis function and adaptive integral methods," IEEE Trans. Ant. Propagat., Vol. 58, No. 9, 3086-3090, Sep. 2010.
10. Shao, H., J. Hu, W. C. Lu, H. Guo, and Z. P. Nie, "Analyzing large-scale arrays using tangential equivalence principle algorithm with characteristic basis functions," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 101, No. 2, 414-422, Feb. 2013.
11. Xiao, K., F. Zhao, S.-L. Chai, J.-J. Mao, and J. L.-W. Li, "Scattering analysis of periodic arrays using combined CBF/p-FFT method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 131-146, 2011.
12. Luo, C., S. G. Johnson, J. D. Joannopoulos, and J. B. Pendry, "All-angle negative refraction without negative effective index," Physical Review B, Vol. 65, 201104, 2002.