The electromagnetic (EM) fields inside a rotating circular hollow dielectric cylinder were numerically calculated in two dimensions, and the numerical results were presented in this paper. The simulation was carried out by using the method of characteristics (MOC) for the solutions of the time-domain Maxwell equations with the application of the passing center swing back grids (PCSBG) technique in the modified O-type grid system. To illustrate the effects of the rotating hollow dielectric cylinder on the EM fields inside the cylinder, the cylinder may be set to rotate at impractically, extremely high angular frequencies. The use of PCSBG is to overcome the difficulty of the deformed grid cells resulting from the rotating object while the modified O-type grid system satisfies the requirement of minimum number of grid within the shortest wavelength of interest in the larger radius regions where the regular O-type grid fails. A Gaussian EM pulse is utilized as excitation source and set to illuminate the hollow cylinder which is made of either non-magnetic or impedance matching materials. For clear examinations the numerical results of EM fields at and around the cylinder center are exhibited. Several electric field distributions are also shown.
2. Wieting, T. J., T. D. Andreadis, J. M. Kidd, W. Quade, A. I. Namenson, L. F. Libello, C. D. Schleisiger, and C. M. Butler, "Electromagnetic field investigations inside a hollow cylinder," The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 4, 223-227, 1995.
3. Datta, A. K. and S. C. Som, "Numerical study of scattered electromagnetic field inside a hollow dielectric cylinder. 2: Scattering of two phasematched beams," Applied Optics, Vol. 14, No. 7, 1524-7, 1975.
4. Rice, S. O., "Reflection of electromagnetic waves from slightly rough surface," Commn. Pure Appl. Math., Vol. 4, 351-378, 1951.
5. Beckman, P. and A. Spizzichino, The Scattering of Electromagnetic Waves from Rough Surfaces, Pergamon, New York, 1963.
6. Baeva, T., S. Gordienko, and A. Pukhov, "Theory of high-order harmonic generation in relativistic laser interaction with overdense plasma," Physical Review E, Vol. 74, 046404, 2006.
7. Kleinman, R. E. and R. B. Mack, "Scattering by linearly vibrating objects," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 27, No. 3, 344-352, May 1979.
8. Cooper, J., "Scattering of electromagnetic fields by a moving boundary: The one-dimensional case," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 28, No. 6, 791-795, November 1980.
9. Harfoush, F., A. Taflove, and G. Kriegsmann, "A numerical technique for analyzing electromagnetic wave scattering from moving surfaces in one and two dimensions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 37, No. 1, 55-63, January 1989.
10. Cooper, J., "Longtime behavior and energy growth for electromagnetic waves reflected by a moving boundary," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 10, 1365-1370, October 1993.
11. Donohoe, J. P., J. H. Beggs, and M. Ho, "Comparison of finite-difference time-domain results for scattered EM fields: Yee algorithm vs. a characteristic based algorithm," 27th IEEE Southeastern Symposium on System Theory, March 1995.
12. Ho, M., "Scattering of EM waves from traveling and/or vibrating perfect surface: Numerical simulation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 1, 152-156, January 2006.
13. Ho, M., "EM scattering from PEC plane moving at extremely high speed: Simulation in one dimension," Journal of Applied Science and Engineering (JASE), Vol. 17, No. 4, 429-436, December 2014.
14. Ho, M. and F.-S. Lai, "Effects of medium conductivity on electromagnetic pulse propagation onto dielectric half space: One-dimensional simulation using characteristic-based method," Journal of ElectroMagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 13, 1773-1785, 2007.
15. Ho, M., F.-S. Lai, S.-W. Tan, and P.-W. Chen, "Numerical simulation of propagation of EM pulse through lossless non-uniform dielectric slab using characteristic-based method," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 81, 197-212, January 2008.
16. Ho, M., "Numerically solving scattered electromagnetic fields from rotating objects using passing center swing back grid technique: A proposal," Journal of ElectroMagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 23, 389-394, January 2009.
17. Ho, M., "Simulation of scattered fields from rotating cylinder in 2D: Under illumination of TE and TM gaussian pulses," PIERS Proceedings, 1646-1651, Moscow, Russia, August 18-21, 2009.
18. Ho, M., "Simulation of scattered EM fields from rotating cylinder using passing center swing back grids technique in two dimensions," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 92, 79-90, April 2009.