High reliability and low electromagnetic interference (EMI) are two important factors for many industrial applications such as air based electric transport system charger (AETSC). Therefore, it is essential to introduce high reliability and low EMI power converters. This paper presents a new high reliability and low current ripple DC-DC converter. For the proposed converter, a spectrum analysis approach for suppressing the EMI using chaotic sinusoidal pulse width modulation is provided. In addition, the proposed converter has radio frequency (RF) EMI lower than 100 kHz. However, for higher than 100 kHz, EMI issue of the proposed converter has unsuitable situation.
1. Ran, L., et al., "Conducted electromagnetic emissions in induction motor drive systems part I: Time domain analysis and identification of dominant modes," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 13, 757-767, Jul. 1998. doi:10.1109/63.704152
2. Costa, F., et al., "Influence of the driver circuits in the generation and transmission of EMI in a power converter: Effects on its electromagnetic susceptibility," Eur. Power Electron. J., Vol. 5, No. 1, 35-44, Mar. 1995.
3. Chen, C., X. Xu, and D. M. Divan, "Conductive electromagnetic interference noise evaluation for an actively clamped resonant dc link inverter for electric vehicle traction drive applications," Conf. Rec. IEEE-IAS Annul. Meeting, 1550-1557, 1997.
4. Tang, Y., J.-S. Lai, and C. Chen, "EMI experimental comparison of PWM inverters between hard- and soft-switching techniques," Proc. IEEE Workshop Power Electronics in Transportation, 71-78, Dearborn, MI, Oct. 1998.
5. Zhu, H., J.-S. Lai, A. R. Hefner, Jr., Y. Tang, and C. Chen, "Analysis of conducted EM emissions from PWM inverter based on empirical models and comparative experiments," Power Electronics Specialists Conference, Vol. 2, 861-867, 1999.
6. Rahimi, T., S. Yousefi Khangah, and B. Yousefi, "Reduction EMI due to di/dt and dv/dt DC and AC sides of BLDC motor drive," 5th Power Electronics, Drive Systems and Technologies Conference (PEDSTC), 428-433, Tehran, Iran, Feb. 5-6, 2014.
7. Lecointe, J.-P., B. Cassoret, and J.-F. Brudny, "Distinction of toothing and saturation effects on magnetic noise of induction motors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 125-137, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10110803
8. Guo, Y., L. Wang, and C. Liao, "Systematic analysis of conducted electromagnetic interferences for the electric drive system in electric vehicles," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 134, 359-378, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12092816
9. Liang, J., L. Jian, G. Xu, and Z. Shao, "Analysis of electromagnetic behavior in switched reluctance motor for the application of integrated air conditioner on-board charger system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 347-364, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11112501
10. Chen, R., J. D. Van Wyk, S. Wang, and W. G. Odendaal, "Technologiesand characteristics of integrated EMI filters for switch mode power supplies," Power Electronics Specialists Conference, Vol. 6, 4873-4880, Jun. 20-25, 2004.
11. Hua, G. and F. C. Lee, "An overall view of soft-switching techniques for PWM converters," Eur. Power Electron. J., Vol. 3, No. 1, 39-50, 1993.
12. Hui, S. Y. R., K. W. E. Cheng, and S. Prakash, "A fully softswitched extended-period quasi-resonant power-factor-correction circuit," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 12, 922-930, Sep. 1977.
13. González, D., J. Balcells, A. Santolaria, J.-C. Le Bunetel, J. Gago, D. Magnon, and S. Bréhaut, "Conducted EMI reduction in power converters by means of periodic switching frequency modulation," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 6, 0885-8993, Nov. 2007.
14. Li, H., Z. Li, W. A. Halang, and W. K. S. Tang, "A chaotic soft switching PWM boost converter for EMI reduction," IEEE International Sympsium, 341-346, 2008.
15. Hamzad, D., M. Swan, and P. K. Jain, "Suppression of common-mode input electromagnetic interference noise in DC-DC converter using the active filtering method," IEEE Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 4, No. 7, 776-784, 2012.
16. Shaoyong, Y., et al., "Condition monitoring for device reliability in power electronic converters: A review," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 11, 2734-2752, Nov. 2010.
17. Smet, et al., "Ageing and failure modes of IGBT modules in high-temperature power cycling," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 10, 4931-4941, Oct. 2011. doi:10.1109/TIE.2011.2114313
18. Li, E. P., X. C. Wei, A. C. Cangellaris, E. X. Liu, Y. J. Zhang, M. D’Amore, J. Kim, and T. Sudo, "Progress review of electromagnetic compatibility analysis technologies for packages, printed circuit boards, and novel interconnects," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 52, No. 2, 248-265, May 2010. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2010.2048755
19. Shih, F., D. Y. Chen, Y. Wu, and Y. Chen, "A procedure for designing EMI filters for AC line applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 11, No. 1, 170-181, Jan. 1996. doi:10.1109/63.484430
20. Ogasawara, S., H. Ayano, and H. Akagi, "Measurement and reduction of EMI radiated by a PWM inverter-fed AC motor drive system," IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol. 33, No. 4, 1019-1026, Jul./Aug. 1997. doi:10.1109/28.605744
21. Paul, C. R., Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2006.
22. Chen, H., T. Wang, L. Feng, and G. Chen, "Determining far-field emi from near-field coupling of a power converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 9, 5257-5264, 2014. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2013.2291442
23. Lei, X. and J. Sun, "Conducted common-mode EMI reduction by impedance balancing," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 3, 1084-1089, 2012. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2011.2176750
24. Li, H., Z. Li, W. A. Halang, and W. K. S. Tang, "A chaotic soft switching PWM boost converter for EMI reduction," IEEE International Symposium, 341-346, 2008.