To visualize eddy current distribution (ECD) of an arbitrarily shaped coil arranged parallel to a moving conductor slab, an exact theoretical solution is derived using an analytical method based on the double Fourier transform method. The arbitrarily shaped coil is regarded as a plane coil of a single turn, and both DC and AC excitation currents can be applied. Furthermore, ECD charts are obtained when the conductor slab is moving. We calculate some examples with respect to a circular coil, rectangular coil, and triangular coil and show the effect of coil excitation frequency and speed of the conductor on ECDs. Results show that the eddy current generated in the moving conductor slab is composed of current induced by the excitation frequency and conductor speed.
2. Vyroubal, D., "Impedance of the eddy-current displacement probe: The transformer model," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 53, No. 2, 384-391, 2004.
3. Chen, X. and Y. Lei, "Electrical conductivity measurement of ferromagnetic metallic materials using pulsed eddy current method," NDT and E Int., Vol. 75, 33-38, 2015.
4. Chen, X. and Y. Lei, "Excitation current waveform for eddy current testing on the thickness of ferromagnetic plates," NDT and E Int., Vol. 66, 28-33, 2014.
5. Musolino, A., R. Rizzo, and E. Tripodi, "A quasi-analytical model for remote field eddy current inspection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 26, 237-249, 2012.
6. Dodd, C. V. and W. E. Deeds, "Analytical solutions to eddy-current probe-coil problems," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 39, No. 6, 2829-2838, 1968.
7. Panas, S. M. and A. G. Papayiannakis, "Eddy currents in an infinite slab due to an elliptic current excitation," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 27, No. 5, 4328-4337, 1991.
8. Burke, S. K., "Impedance of a horizontal coil above a conducting half-space," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 19, No. 7, 1159-1173, 1986.
9. Theodoulidis, P. T., "Analytical model for tilted coils in eddy-current nondestructive inspection," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 41, No. 9, 2447-2454, 2005.
10. Theodoulidis, P. T. and E. E. Kriezis, "Impedance evaluation of rectangular coils for eddy current testing of planar media," NDT and E Int., Vol. 35, No. 6, 407-414, 2002.
11. Antonopoulos, C. S. and E. E. Kriezis, "Force on a parallel circular loop moving above a conducting slab and the eddy-current distribution," IEE Proceedings A, Vol. 133, No. 9, 601-605, 1986.
12. Panas, S. M. and E. E. Kriezis, "Eddy current distribution due to a rectangular current frame moving above a conducting slab," Archiv für Elektrotechnik, Vol. 69, No. 3, 185-191, 1986.
13. Itaya, T., K. Ishida, A. Tanaka, N. Takehira, and T. Miki, "Eddy current distribution for a rectangular coil arranged parallel to a moving conductor slab," IET Sci. Meas. Technol., Vol. 6, No. 2, 43-51, 2012.
14. Ishida, T., T. Itaya, A. Tanaka, and N. Takehira, "Magnetic field analysis of an arbitrary shaped coil using shape functions," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 45, No. 1, 104-112, 2009.