Sea ice plays an important role in global climate. Many researches focus on the measurement of the sea ice thickness. In this paper, we present a method for the ice-detecting combining frequencymodulated continuous-wave (FMCW) technology and synthetic aperture radar (SAR) technology. It can provide a good resolution both in the range dimension and the azimuth one. Then a simulation is conducted to verify the accuracy and the feasibility of this algorithm. The physical properties of the sea ice, such as reflection and scatter properties of the ice surface and the transmission characteristic when the electromagnetic wave travels through the ice, are considered in the simulation. The results of the simulation demonstrate that this algorithm has a good performance in ice penetrating.
2. ACIA, Arctic Climate Impact Assessment, 1042, Cambridge University Press, New York City, New York, 2005.
3. Gogineni, S., et al., "Wideband radar for ice sheet sounding and imaging," General Assembly and Scientific Symposium (URSI GASS), 2014 XXXIth URSI. IEEE, 1, 2014.
4. Dall, J., et al., "P-band radar ice sounding in Antarctica," Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 2012 IEEE International. IEEE, 1561-1564, 2012.
5. Gogineni, S., et al., "Ultra-wideband radars for remote sensing of snow and ice," Microwave and RF Conference, 2013 IEEE MTT-S International, IEEE, 1-4, 2013.
6. Wu, C., et al., "Radar signal simulation on investigation of subsurface structure by radar ice depth sounder," Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 2014 IEEE International, IEEE, 4848-4851, 2014.
7. Han, H. and H. Lee, "Radar backscattering of lake ice during freezing and thawing stages estimated by ground-based scatterometer experiment and inversion from genetic algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 51, No. 5, 3089-3096, 2013.
8. Dagdeviren, B., K. Y. Kapusuz, and A. Kara, "A modular FMCW radar RF front end design: Simulation and implementation," Signal Processing and Communications Applications Conference (SIU), 2014 22nd. IEEE, 1762-1765, 2014.
9. Kanagaratnam, P., S. Gogineni, N. Gundestrup, and L. Larsen, "High-resolution radar mapping of internal layers at the North Greenland Ice Core Project," Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 106, No. D24, 33,799-33,812, 2001.
10. Cumming, I. G. and F. H. Wong, Digital Processing of Synthetic Aperture Radar Data: Algorithms and Implementation, Artech House, 2005.
11. Luo, Y., et al., "Signal processing of Arc FMCW SAR," IEEE 2013 Asia-Pacific Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar (APSAR), 412-415, 2013.
12. Smith, R. L., Micro Synthetic Aperture Radar Using FM/CW Technology, Brigham Young University, 2002.
13. Krishnan, S., Modeling and Simulation Analysis of An FMCW Radar for Measuring Snow Thickness, University of Kansas, 2000.
14. Ulaby, F. T., R. K. Moore, and A. K. Fung, Microwave Remote Sensing: Active and Passive, Vol. 2, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1986.
15. Komarov, A. S., et al., "Modeling and measurement of C-band radar backscatter from snow-covered first-year sea ice," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 53, No. 7, 4063-4078, 2015.
16. Cui, S. G., H. S. Liu, H. Yi, and J.-L. Wu, "Surface-related multiple elimination on high-resolution geopulse profile," China Ocean Engineering, Vol. 2, 331-339, 2008.
17. Kikuta, T. and H. Tanaka, "Ground probing radar system," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 5, No. 6, 23-26, 1990.
18. Nielsen, U. and J. Dall, "Direction-of-Arrival estimation for radar ice sounding surface clutter suppression," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 53, No. 9, 5170-5179, 2015.
19. Dudek, M., et al., "A versatile system simulation environment for millimeter-wave phased-array FMCW-radar sensors for automotive applications," Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 2011 Asia-Pacific. IEEE, 1478-1481, 2011.