A compact microstrip antenna loaded with periodic patterns etched in the ground plane is proposed. The etched patterns are Jerusalem crosses which look the same as one of the common electromagnetic band gap structures, uni-planar electromagnetic band gap. In this paper, the dielectric backed with etched ground plane is analysed in terms of metamaterial. The permittivity and permeability are derived from the simulated reflection and transmission coefficients. Then a patch is stacked on the metasubstrate, and the antenna is designed to operate at 2.4 GHz. The proposed antenna has a small dimension in comparison to two other published compact antennas. Compared to the conventional patch antenna, the proposed antenna achieves a 68.38% miniaturization of the patch, and a 2.84 times impedance bandwidth broadening. Furthermore, the operating frequency of the proposed antenna can be tuned over a large range of frequencies by physically adjusting the length of the surrounding slots or by voltage adjusting of the voltage controlled tunable inductive elements. The proposed antenna is fabricated and measured. The measurement results are found to agree well with the simulation ones.
2. Li, H., B. Z. Wang, G. Zheng, and W. Shao, "A reflectarray antenna backed on FSS for low RCS and high radiation performances," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 145-155, 2010.
3. Jia, Y., Y. Liu, H. Wang, K. Li, and S. Gong, "Low-RCS high-gain and wideband mushroom antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 14, 277-280, 2015.
4. Kim, S.-H., T. T. Nguyen, and J.-H. Jang, "Reflection characteristics of 1-D EBG ground plane and its application to a planar dipole antenna," Progress In Electronagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 51-66, 2011.
5. Xu, H.-X., G.-H. Wang, and M.-Q. Qi, "A miniaturized triple-band metamaterial antenna with radiation pattern selectivity and polarization diversity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 275-292, 2013.
6. Wu, B.-I., W. Wang, J. Pacheco, X. Chen, T. Crzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "A study of using metamaterials as antenna substrate to enhance gain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 15, 295-328, 2005.
7. Rahimi, M., F. B. Zarrabi, R. Ahmadian, Z. Mansouri, and A. Keshtkar, "Miniaturization of antenna for wireless application with difference metamaterial structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 19-29, 2014.
8. Ouedraogo, R. O., E. J. Rothwell, A. R. Diaz, K. Fuchi, and A. Temme, "Miniaturization of patch antenna using a metamaterial-inspired technique," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 5, 2175-2182, 2012.
9. Saghanezhad, S. A. H. and Z. Atlasbaf, "Miniaturized dual-band CPW-fed antennas loaded with U-shaped metamaterials," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 14, 658-661, 2015.
10. Yang, X. M., Q. H. Sun, Y. Jing, Q. Cheng, X. Y. Zhou, H. W. Kong, and T. J. Cui, "Increasing the bandwidth of microstrip patch antenna by loading compact artificial magneto-dielectrics," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 2, 373-378, 2011.
11. Wang, G. D., M. H. Liu, X. W. Hu, L. H. Kong, L. L. Cheng, and Z. Q. Chen, "Multi-band microwave metamaterial absorber based on coplanar Jerusalem crosses," Chinese Physics B, Vol. 23, No. 1, 017802, 2013.
12. Arezoomand, A. S., F. B. Zarrabi, S. Heydari, and N. P. Gandji, "Independent polarization and multi-band THz absorber base on Jerusalem cross," Optics Communications, Vol. 352, 121-126, 2015.
13. Smith, D. R., S. Schultz, P. Markos, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Determination of effective permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Physical Review B, Vol. 65, No. 19, 195104, 2002.
14. Hasar, U. C., J. J. Barroso, C. Sabah, I. Y. Ozbek, Y. Kaya, D. Dal, and T. Aydin, "Retrieval of effective electromagnetics parameters of isotropic metamaterials using reference-plane invariant expressions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 425-441, 2012.
15. Szab, Z., G. Park, R. Hedge, and E. Li, "A unique extraction of metamaterial parameters based on Kramers-Kronig relationship," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 10, 2646-2653, 2010.
16. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley and Sons, 1997.
17. Cai, T., G.-M. Wang, and J.-G. Liang, "Analysis and design of novel 2-d transmission line metamaterial and its application to compact dualband antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 13, 555-558, 2014.
18. Turpin, J. P., D. H., and D. E. Wolfe, "Design considerations for spatially reconfigurable metamaterials," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 8, 3513-3520, 2015.