An alternative to the traditional method of sampling radar cross section data from measurements or electromagnetic code is presented and evaluated. The Cubed Sphere sampling scheme solves the problem of oversampling at high and low elevation angles and at equal equatorial resolution the scheme can reduce the number of samples required by approximately 25%. The analysis is made of an aircraft model with a monostatic radar cross section at C-band and a bistatic radar cross section at VHF-band, using Physical Optics and the Multilevel Fast Multipole Method, respectively. It was found that for the monostatic radar cross section, the Cubed Sphere sampling scheme required approximately 12% fewer samples compared to that required for traditional sampling while maintaining the same interpolation accuracy over the entire domain. For the bistatic data, it was possible to reduce the number of samples by approximately 35% for high sampling resolutions. Using spline interpolation the number of samples required could be reduced even further.
2. Dybdal, R. B., "Radar cross section measurements," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 75, No. 4, 498-516, Apr. 1987.
3. Lynch, D., Introduction to RF STEALTH, Vol. 17, SciTECH Publishing, Raleigh, 2005.
4. Olin, I. D. and F. D. Queen, "Dynamic measurement of radar cross sections," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 53, No. 8, 954-961, Aug. 1965.
5. Hitzel, S. M., "Aerodynamics and radar signature - A combination of theoretical methods," AIAA Journal, Vol. 25, No. 5, 399-404, 1988.
6. Pitkethly, M. J., "Radar absorbing materials and their potential use in aircraft structures," IEE Colloquium on Low Profile Absorbers and Scatterers, London, 1992.
7. Gürel, L., H. Bağcı, J. C. Castelli, A. Cheraly, and F. Tardivel, "Validation through comparison: Measurement and calculation of the bistatic radar cross section of a stealth target," Radio Science, Vol. 38, No. 3, 2003.
8. Bucci, O. M., C. Gennarelli, G. Riccio, and C. Savarese, "Electromagnetic fields interpolation from nonuniform samples over spherical and cylindrical surfaces," IEEE Proceedings Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 141, No. 2, 77-84, 1994, DOI: 10.1049/ip-map:19949838.
9. Persson, B. and M. Norsell, "On modeling RCS of aircraft for flight simulation," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 56, No. 4, 34-43, Aug. 2014, DOI: 10.1109/MAP.2014.6931656.
10. Yang, J. and K. T. Sarkar, "Interpolation/Extrapolation of Radar Cross-Section (RCS) data in the frequency domain using the cauchy method," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 2844-2851, Oct. 2007.
11. Davis, M. E., "Space based radar moving target detection challenges," RADAR, 143-147, 2002.
12. Manasse, R., "Idealized radar GMTI detection with space-time processing," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 45, No. 4, 1610-1618, Oct. 2009, DOI: 10.1109/TAES.2009.5310322.
13. Li, J., G. Liu, N. Jiang, and P. Stoica, "Moving target feature extraction for airborne high-range resolution phased-array radar," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 49, No. 2, 277-289, Feb. 2001, DOI: 10.1109/78.902110.
14. Wang, Y. L., Z. Bao, and Y. N. Peng, "STAP with medium PRF mode for non-side-looking airborne radar," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 36, No. 2, 609-620, Apr. 2000, DOI: 10.1109/7.845249.
15. Ulander, L., P. Förlind, P. Grahn, and A. Gustavsson, "Bistatisk och passiv radar,", FOI, Stockholm, 2014.
16. Amanipour, V. and A. Olfat, "CFAR detection for multistatic radar," Signal Processing, Vol. 91, No. 1, 28-37, Jan. 2011, DOI: 10.1016/j.sigpro.2010.06.003.
17. Willis, N. J. and G. Griffiths, Advances in Bistatic Radar, 91-104, SciTech Publishing, Raleigh, 2007.
18. Ronchi, C., R. Iacono, and P. S. Paolucci, "The `cubed sphere': A new method for the solution of partial differential equations in spherical geometry," Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 124, No. 1, 93-114, Mar. 1996, DOI: 10.1006/jcph.1996.0047.
19. Hiroyuki, A. and I. Nozomu, "Sampling points reduction in spherical scanned TRP," IEEE Conference on Antenna Measurements & Applications, 1-4, 2014.
20. Cornelius, R. and D. Heberling, "Analysis of sampling grids for spherical near-field antenna measurements," PIERS Proceedings, 923-927, Prague, Jul. 6-9, 2015.
21. Giordanengo, G., M. Righero, F. Vipiana, G. Vecchi, and M. Sabbadini, "Fast antenna testing with reduced near field sampling," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 5, 2501-2513, May 2014, DOI: 10.1109/TAP.2014.2309338.
22. Jenn, D. C., "POFACETS 4.1,", 2013, [Online], Available: http://faculty.nps.edu/jenn.
23. Van den Bosch, I., "Puma-EM 5.8,", 2014, [Online], Available: http://sourceforge.net/projects/puma-em/.
24. Shaeffer, J. F., M. T. Tuley, and E. F. Knott, Radar Cross Section, 2nd Ed., 17, 44-45, Artech House Publishers, Norwood, 1993.
25. De Boor, C., A Practical Guide to Splines, 291-296, Springer New York, New York, NY, 2001.
26. Marsaglia, G., "Choosing a point from the surface of a sphere," The Annals of Mathematical Statistics, Vol. 43, No. 2, 645-646, 1972.