This paper details an effective method to extract dielectric parameters including dielectric constant Dk and loss tangent Df from transmission lines containing rough conductor surface. The concept of effective conductivity is firstly introduced to model conductor surface roughness in transmission lines. By using differential extrapolation method, propagation parameters of transmission lines can be extracted by removing the roughness effects. A curve-fitting method based on Genetic Algorithm (GA) is adopted to fit the propagation parameters in the smoothened case and to derive the dielectric parameters. The proposed method is especially accurate for parameter extraction at high frequency and is practical to all types of transmission lines.
2. Toda, A. P. and F. de Flaviis, "60-GHz substrate materials characterization using the covered transmission-line method," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 63, No. 3, 1063-1075, 2015.
3. Narayanan, P. M., "Microstrip transmission line method for broadband permittivity measurement of dielectric substrates," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 62, No. 11, 2784-2790, 2014.
4. Horn, III, A. F., J. W. Reynolds, and J. C. Rautio, "Conductor profile effects on the propagation constant of microstrip transmission lines," 2010 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 868-871, 2010.
5. Guo, X., et al., "An analysis of conductor surface roughness effects on signal propagation for stripline interconnects," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 56, No. 3, 707-714, 2014.
6. Gold, G. and K. Helmreich, "A physical model for skin effect in rough surfaces," IEEE 42nd European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 1011-1014, 2012.
7. Koul, A., et al., "Differential extrapolation method for separating dielectric and rough conductor losses in printed circuit boards," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 54, No. 2, 421-433, 2012.
8. Zhou, Z. and K. L. Melde, "A comprehensive technique to determine the broadband physically consistent material characteristics of microstrip lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 1, 185-194, 2010.
9. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, 2009.
10. Quagliarella, D., Genetic Algorithms and Evolution Strategy in Engineering and Computer Science: Recent Advances and Industrial Applications, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, 1998.
11. Scaife, B. K. P., Principles of Dielectrics, OUP Oxford, 1998.
12. Böttcher, C. J. F., et al., Theory of Electric Polarization, Elsevier Scientific Pub. Co., 1978.
13. FR4 Data Sheet [EB/OL], , 2016-03-24, Available: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1644697.pdf.
14. Sapoval, B., C. Hermann, and C. Hermann, Physics of Semiconductors, Springer, New York, 2003.