A main challenge in designing line-start permanent magnet synchronous motors is synchronization analysis and determination. The transient time-step nite element simulations are often required in the design process, which is computationally expensive. An attractive alternative is to use an analytical synchronization model, which is time ecient and thus viable to be included in an optimization procedure. In this paper, two variants of the energy-based analytical synchronization model are proposed. Their viability and performance are compared with those of the existing analytical method and validated by transient nite element simulations. It is shown that the proposed methods have a better resolution and accuracy in determining the synchronization status of line-start permanent magnet motors.
2. Marčič, T., "A short review of energy-efficient line-start motor design," Przeglad Elektrotechniczny, Vol. 87, No. 3, 119-122, 2011.
3. Ugale, R. T., B. N. Chaudhari, and A. Pramanik, "Overview of research evolution in the field of line start permanent magnet synchronous motors," IET Electr. Power Appl., Vol. 8, No. 4, 141-154, April 2014.
4. Fei, W., P. C. K. Luk, J. Ma, J. X. Shen, and G. Yang, "A high-performance line-start permanent magnet synchronous motor amended from a small industrial three-phase induction motor," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 10, 4724-4727, October 2009.
5. Jazdzynski, W. and M. Bajek, "Modeling and bi-criterial optimization of a line start permanent magnet synchronous machine to find an IE4 class high efficiency motor," Proceedings of International Conference on Electrical Machines, Rome, September 6-8, 2010, doi: 10.1109/ICELMACH.2010.5607751.
6. Ruan, T., H. Pan, and Y. Xia, "Design and analysis of two different line-start PM synchronous motors," 2nd International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Management Science and Electronic Commerce (AIMSEC), 3843-3847, China, 2011.
7. Kim, W. H., et al., "A study on the optimal rotor design of LSPM considering the starting torque and efficiency," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 3, 1808-1811, March 2009.
8. Shamlou, S. and M. Mirsalim, "Design, optimisation, analysis and experimental verification of a new line-start permanent magnet synchronous shaded-pole motor," IET Electric Power Applications, Vol. 7, No. 1, 16-26, January 2013.
9. Knypiński, L., L. Nowak, and C. Jedryczka, "Optimization of the rotor geometry of the line-start permanent magnet synchronous motor by the use of particle swarm optimization," COMPEL - The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 34, No. 3, 882-892, 2015.
10. Honsinger, V. B., "Permanent magnet machines: Asynchronous operation," IEEE Trans. on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. 99, No. 4, 1503-1509, July 1980.
11. Miller, T. J. E., "Synchronization of line-start permanent magnet AC motors," IEEE Trans. on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. 103, No. 7, 1822-1828, July 1984.
12. Rahman, M. A., A. M. Osheiba, and T. S. Radwan, "Synchronization process of line-start permanent magnet synchronous motors," Electric Machines and Power Systems, Vol. 24, No. 6, 577-592, 1997.
13. Isfahani, A. H., S. Vaez-Zadeh, and M. A. Rahman, "Evaluation of synchronization capability in line start permanent magnet synchronous motors," IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference (IEMDC), Vol. 1346, No. 1350, May 15-18, 2011.
14. Rabbi, S. F. and M. A. Rahman, "Critical criteria for successful synchronization of line-start IPM motors," IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 2, No. 2, 348-358, June 2014.
15. Soulard, J. and H. P. Nee, "Study of the synchronization of line-start permanent magnet synchronous motors," IEEE Industry Applications Conference, Vol. 1, 424-431, 2000.
16. Stoia, D., M. Cernat, A. A. Jimoh, and D. V. Nicolae, "Analytical design and analysis of line-start permanent magnet synchronous motors," IEEE AFRICON, 1-7, Nairobi, 2009, doi: 10.1109/AFRCON.2009.5308177.
17. Kurihara, K. and M. A. Rahman, "High-efficiency line-start interior permanent-magnet synchronous motors," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 40, No. 3, 789-796, May-June 2004.
18. Tang, R. Y., Modern Permanent Magnet Machines: Theory and Design, China Machine Press, Beijing, December 1997.
19. Dormand, J. R., Numerical Methods for Differential Equations: A Computational Approach, CRC Press, February 1996.