The simulation of multi-layer rough surfaces is an indispensable step in passive radiation imaging, to which little attention has been paid so far. Based on the existing model of brightness temperature tracing described in our recent works, diffused transmission of the bottom layer is taken into account in the improved model which is presented in this paper. Then, a method called multi-layer brightness temperature tracing method (MBTT) is established to obtain the brightness temperature of a rough surface, and the applied range of the simulation in passive millimeter-wave imaging (PMMW) is extended.
2. Ji, W. J. and C. M. Tong, "Research on electromagnetic scattering computation and synthetic aperture radar imaging of ship located on two-dimensional ocean surface," Acta Phys. Sin., Vol. 61, 160301, 2012.
3. Zhang, X., et al., "Microwave imaging of soil water diffusion using the linear sampling method," IEEE Geoscience & Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 8, No. 3, 421-425, 2011.
4. Ruf, C. S., et al., "Interferometric synthetic aperture microwave radiometry for the remote sensing of the Earth," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience & Remote Sensing, Vol. 26, No. 5, 597-611, 1988.
5. Yujiri, L., M. Shoucri, and P. Moffa, "Passive millimeter wave imaging," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 4, 39-50, 2003.
6. Salmon, N. A., R. Appleby, and S. Price, "Scene simulation of passive millimeter-wave images of plastic and metal objects," Proc. SPIE, 397-401, 2002.
7. Salmon, N. A., "Polarimetric scene simulation in millimeter-wave radiometric imaging," Proc. SPIE, 260-269, 2004.
8. Salmon, N. A., "Polarimetric passive millimeter-wave imaging scene simulation including multiple reflections of subjects and their backgrounds," Proc. SPIE, 354-358, 2005.
9. Zhang, C. and J. Wu, "Near-field 3D scene simulation for passive microwave imaging," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 6419, 1-11, 2006.
10. Zhang, C. and J. Wu, "Image simulation for ground objects microwave radiation," Journal of Electronics & Information Technology, Vol. 29, 2725-2728, 2007.
11. Fetterman, M. R., J. Dougherty, W. L. Kiser, and Jr., "Scene simulation of mm-wave images," IEEE 2007 AP-S Int. Symposium, 1493-1496, 2007.
12. Fetterman, M. R., J. Grata, and G. Jubic, "Simulation, acquisition and analysis of passive millimeter-wave images in remote sensing applications," Optics Express, Vol. 25, 20503-20515, 2008.
13. Salmon, N. A., "Scattering in polarimetric millimetre-wave imaging scene simulation," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 6211, 71-78, 2006.
14. Fawwaz, T., R. Ulaby, K, Moore, and K. F. Adrian, Microwave Remote Sensing Active and Passive, 1982.
15. Zhang, J. R., D. H. Zhang, L. W. Wang, Y. Z. Zhao, W. Sheng, and W. Guo, "In situ measurement of typical objects’ permittivities in microwave remote sensing," Journal of Electronics, Vol. 4, 566-9, 1997.
16. Zhang, J. R., "The microwave dielectric constant of canopy and soil," Remote Sensing Technology and Application, Vol. 10, 40-50, 1995.
17. Sun, Z. W., P. S. Yu, and L. Xia, "Progress in study of snow parameter inversion by passive microwave remote sensing," Remote Sensing for Land & Resources, Vol. 27, No. 1, 9-15, 2015.
18. Jiang, L. M., J. C. Shi, and L. X. Zhang, "Comparison of dry snow emission model with experimental measurements," Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 10, No. 4, 515-522, 2006.
19. Liebe, H. J., G. A. Hufford, and M. G. Cotton, "Propagation modeling of moist air and suspended water/ice particles at frequencies below 1000 GHz," Atmospheric Propagation Effects Through Natural and Man-Made Obscurants for Visible to MM-Wave Radiation, Vol. 11, SEE N94-30495, 08-32, 1993.
20. ITU Recommendation, "Attenuation by atmospheric gases,", 676-5, 2001.
21. ITU Recommendation, "Attenuation due to clouds and fog,", 840-3, 1999.
22. ITU Recommendation, "Reference Standard Atmospheres,", 835-3, 1999.