This paper presents the modeling and simulation of a new rectangular ferrite-loaded waveguide based on left-handed metamaterial (LHM) unit cells at Ku-band. The structure has an 8×8 unit cell configuration, whose negative permittivity and negative permeability are achieved by metallic wires array and ferrite medium, respectively. The equivalent circuit model and transmission parameter matrix for the unit cell are presented based on microwave two-port network theory. The operating frequency is in the TE10 single mode range at 12.97-15.90 GHz where magnetic and electric resonances are coupled simultaneously. The finite-element method (FEM) based simulation software HFSS has been used to set original model and optimized model with vacuum layers for decoupling. Analysis of 3D electromagnetic waves propagation and scattering parameters demonstrate the backward wave property of the optimized waveguide. Negative propagation constant and negative index of refraction are calculated based ona method for extracting effective parameters of LHM. The proposed structure has scalability, double negative, and broad-band operation characteristics in the electromagnetic paradigm.
2. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, W. J. Stewart, and I. Youngs, "Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic mesostructures," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 76, 4773-4776, 1996.
3. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, 2075-2084, 1999.
4. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, 4184-4187, 2000.
5. Palandoken, M., A. Grede, and H. Henke, "Broadband microstrip antenna with left-handed metamaterials," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 331-338, 2009.
6. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Miniaturized substrate integrated waveguide slot antennas based on negative order resonance," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, 3856-3864, 2010.
7. Nicholson, K. J., W. S. T. Rowe, P. J. Callus, and K. Ghorbani, "Split-ring resonator loading for the slotted waveguide antenna stiffened structure," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1524-1527, 2011.
8. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed substrate integrated waveguide and half mode substrate integrated waveguide leaky-wave structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, 767-775, 2011.
9. Daliri, A., W. S. T. Rowe, and K. Ghorbani, "Split-ring slot in the broad-wall of a rectangular waveguide," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 991-994, 2014.
10. Ullah, M. H., M. J. Uddin, T. A. Latef, W. N. L. Mahadi, M. R. Ahsan, and M. T. Islam, "Constitutive parameter analysis of left-handed DSSRR metamaterial for homogeneous infinite slab," IET Microwaves Antennas Propag., Vol. 9, 1740-1746, 2015.
11. Kodera, T. and C. Caloz, "Integrated leaky-wave antenna-duplexer/diplexer using CRLH uniform ferrite-loaded open waveguide," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, 2508-2514, 2010.
12. Islam, S. S., M. R. I. Faruque, and M. T. Islam, "A new double negative metamaterial for C-band microwave applications," Appl. Phys. A, Vol. 116, 723-733, 2014.
13. Akhter, Z. and M. J. Akhtar, "Design of unity index flat LHM super resolution lens for near field millimeter-wave imaging applications," IEEE CAMA, 2014.
14. Chui, S. T. and L. Hu, "Theoretical investigation on the possibility of preparing left-handed materials in metallic magnetic granular composites," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 65, 144407-1-6, 2002.
15. Dewar, G., "The applicability of ferrimagnetic hosts to nanostructured negative index of refraction (left-handed) materials," Proc. SPIE Int. Soc. Opt. Eng., Vol. 4806, 156-166, 2002.
16. Ueda, T. and M. Tsutsumi, "Left-handed transmission characteristics of rectangular waveguides periodically loaded with ferrite," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 41, 3532-3537, 2005.
17. He, Y., P. He, N. Sun, V. G. Harris, and C. Vittoria, "Role of Ferrites in negative index metamaterials," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 42, 2852-2854, 2006.
18. Dechant, A. and M. Okoniewski, "Broadband double negative material from ferrite-loaded metallic waveguides," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, 4-5, 2006.
19. Zedler, M., C. Caloz, and P. Russer, "A 3-D isotropic left-handed metamaterial based on the rotated transmission-line matrix (TLM) scheme," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 55, 2930-2941, 2007.
20. Zhou, H., C. Wang, and H. Peng, "A novel double-incidence and multi-band left-handed metamaterials composed of double Z-shaped structure," J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron., Vol. 27, 2534-2544, 2016.
21. Paulotto, S., P. Baccarelli, F. Frezza, and D. R. Jackson, "Full-wave modal dispersion analysis and broadside optimization for a class of microstrip CRLH leaky-wave antennas," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 56, 2826-2837, 2008.
22. Ma, X., C. Huang, W. Pan, B. Zhao, J. Cui, and X. Luo, "A dual circularly polarized horn antenna in Ku-band based on chiral metamaterial," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, 2307-2311, 2014.
23. Carignan, L., A. Yelon, D. Menard, and C. Caloz, "Ferromagnetic nanowire metamaterials: Theory and applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 59, 2568-2586, 2011.