Multilayered dielectric rods are widely used, and the analysis of their electromagnetic scattering properties is very important in practical design. Based on our former work on the single layer dielectric rod forest, the equivalent microwave network method (EMN) is applied to analyse the concentric and eccentric multilayered dielectric rods in this article. The key step is to obtain the reflection matrix of the multilayered dielectric. Based on the EMN method, the electromagnetic scattering properties of a novel electromagnetic band gap (EBG) structure are calculated. The EBG structure is formed by periodically embedding multilayered dielectric rods into the original dielectric between power/ground planes. The accuracy and efficiency of the EMN method are verified by comparing with the simulation results by the FIT simulator CST. In addition, the EMN method takes about 1 minute to obtain the results, while the simulator takes nearly 20 hours with the same computer.
1. Oo, Z. Z., E. X. Liu, E. P. Li, and Y. J. Zhang, "Computing the RCS of dielectric coated objects using multilevel fast multipole algorithm: Impedance boundary condition approach," International Conference on Computational Electromagnetics and ITS Applications, 2004, Proceedings, ICCEA, 100-103, 2004.
2. Lee, S. C., "Scattering by closely spaced parallel nonhomogeneous cylinders in an absorbing medium," Journal of the Optical Society of America A, Vol. 28, No. 9, 1812-1819, 2011. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.28.001812
3. Leviatan, Y. and A. Boag, "Analysis of electromagnetic scattering from dielectrically coated conducting cylinders using a multifilament current model," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 35, No. 11, 1119-1127, 1987. doi:10.1109/TAP.1987.1143994
4. Barabls, M., "Scattering of a plane wave by a radially stratified tilted cylinder," Journal of the Optical Society of America A, Vol. 4, No. 12, 2240-2248, 1987. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.4.002240
5. Lee, S. C. and J. A. Grzesik, "Light scattering by closely spaced parallel cylinders embedded in a semi-infinite dielectric medium," Journal of the Optical Society of America A, Vol. 15, No. 1, 163-173, 1998. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.15.000163
6. Yasumoto, K., V. Jandieri, and B. Gupta, "Electromagnetic scattering by cylindrical arrays of circular rods," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 6, 312-315, 2009.
7. Kishk, A. A., R. P. Parrikar, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Electromagnetic scattering from an eccentric multilayered circular cylinder," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 40, No. 3, 295-303, 1992. doi:10.1109/8.135472
8. Stratigaki, L. G., "Scattering from a dielectric cylinder with multiple eccentric cylindrical dielectric inclusions," IEE Proceedings - Microwaves Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 143, No. 6, 505-511, 1996. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19960854
9. Ioannidou, M. P., K. D. Kapsalas, and D. P. Chrissoulidis, "Electromagnetic-wave scattering by an eccentrically stratified, dielectric cylinder with multiple, eccentrically stratified, cylindrical, dielectric inclusions," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 4, 495-516, 2004. doi:10.1163/156939304774113098
10. Jarem, J. M., "Rigorous coupled wave analysis of bipolar cylindrical systems: Scattering from inhomogeneous dielectric material, eccentric, composite circular cylinders," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 18, No. 1, 181-237, 2003. doi:10.2528/PIER03042304
11. Jarem, J. M., "Rigorous coupled wave theory of anisotropic, azimuthally-inhomogeneous cylindrical systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 7, 911-912, 2012.
12. Jarem, J. M., "Rigorous coupled wave analysis of radially and azimuthally-inhomogeneous, elliptical, cylindrical systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 15, 89-115, 2001. doi:10.2528/PIER01032302
13. Zhang, Y. J. and J. Fan, "A generalized multiple scattering method for dense vias with axially anisotropic modes in an arbitrarily shaped plate pair," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 7, 2035-2045, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2195195
14. Tian, X., Y. J. Zhang, D. Liu, and L. Gui, "Efficient analysis of power/ground planes loaded with dielectric rods and decoupling capacitors by extended generalized multiple scattering method," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 57, No. 1, 135-144, 2015. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2014.2364269
15. Balanis, C. A. and J. Wiley, Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, Wiley & Sons, Canada, 1989.