There is growing interest in the use of nanocomposites based on carbon nanotubes (CNT) due to their excellent mechanical, thermal and electrical properties. The electromagnetic characteristics of nanocomposites with different types of multi-walled carbon nanotubes were investigated. CNTs with different geometries (length and diameter) were chosen in order to analyze the effect of the geometrical parameters on the electromagnetic properties. Nanocomposites with various percentages of CNT were made and the number of CNTs per cm3 in the composite was computed. CNTs were characterized by Field Emission Scanning Electron Miscroscopy (FESEM) and Raman spectroscopy. The complex permittivity of the NCs was measured with two different techniques, and the variation of the permittivity with the number of CNT per cm3 was investigated.
2. Said, A., L. Bednarz, R. Daussin, C. Bailly, and X. Lu, "Carbon nanotube composites for broadband microwave absorbing materials," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techn., Vol. 54, No. 6, 2745-2754, 2006.
3. De Rosa, I. M., F. Sarasini, M. S. Sarto, and A. Tamburrano, "EMC impact of advanced carbon fiber/carbon nanotube reinforce composites for next-generation aerospace applications," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 50, No. 3, 556-563, 2008.
4. Koledintseva, M. Y., J. Drewniak, and R. Dubroff, "Modeling of shielding composite materials and structure for microwave frequency," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 15, 197-215, 2009.
5. Kumar Das, C. and C. V. Sudhakar, "CNT based and graphene based polymer nanocomposites for radar absorbing applications," Journal of Materials Science and Engineering B2, Vol. 6, 368-375, 2012.
6. Singh, V. K., A. Shukla, M. K. Patra, L. Saini, R. K. Jani, S. R. Vadera, and N. Kumar, "Microwave absorbing properties of a thermally reduced graphene oxide/nitrile butadiene rubber composite," Carbon, Vol. 50, 2202-2208, 2012.
7. Bhagwan, F. J., M. Sawant, M. Kulkarni, and P. K. Brahmankar, "Dispersion and performance properties of Carbon Nanotubes (CNTs) based polymer composites: A review," Journal of Encapsulation and Adsorption Sciences, Vol. 2, 69-78, 2012.
8. Dresselhaus, M. S., G. Dresselhaus, R. Saitoc, and A. Joriod, "Raman spectroscopy of carbon nanotubes," Physics Reports, Vol. 409, 47-49, 2005.
9. Baker-Jervis, J., M. D. Janezic, and D. C. DeGroot, "High frequency dielectric measurements," IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Magazine, 24-31, 2010.
10. Rautio, J. C. and V. I. Okhmatovski, "Unification of double-delay and SOC electromagnetic deembedding," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 9, 2892-2898, 2005.
11. Timoshenko, S., et al., Vibration Problems in Engineering, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1974.
12. Giorcelli, M., P. Savi, A. Delogu, M. Miscuglio, M. Haji Yahya, and A. Tagliaferro, "Microwave absorption properties in epoxy resin multi walled carbon nanotubes composites," International Conference on Electromagnetic in Advanced Applications (ICEAA13), September 9-13, Torino, Italy, 2013.
13. Giorcelli, M., P. Savi, M. Miscuglio, M. Hajj Yahya, and A. Tagliaferro, "Analysis of MWCNT/epoxy composites at microwave frequency: A reproducibility study," Nanoscale Research Letters, Vol. 9, No. 168, 1-5, 2014.
14. Yasir, M., P. Savi, M. Giorcelli, and A. Tagliaferro, "Comparative analysis of MWCNTs composites at microwave frequency," IEEE 15th Mediterranean Microwave Symposium, November 30-December 2, Lecce, Italy, 2015.
15. Giorcelli, M., P. Savi, M. Yasir, M. Hajj Yahya, and A. Tagliaferro, "Investigation of epoxy resin/MWCNT composites behaviour at low frequency," Journal of Material Research, Soft Nanomaterials Focus Issue, Vol. 30, No. 1, 101-107, January 2015.
16. Bokobza, L. and J. Zhang, "Raman spectroscopic characterization of multi wall carbon nanotubes and composites," Express Polymer Letters, Vol. 6, No. 7, 601-608, 2012.
17. Bauhofer, W. and J. Z. Kovacs, "A review and analysis of electrical percolation in carbon nanotube polymer composites," Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 69, No. 7, 1486-1498, 2009.