The communication `blackout' in the reentry stage of a space mission is a serious threat to the reentry vehicle. The terahertz (THz) technology is supposed to be a potential solution to the `blackout' problem in the recent decade. In the present paper, the relation between the THz waves' transmission in the reentry plasma sheath and the angle of attack (AOA) of the vehicle is investigated. A three dimensional numerical model is introduced in order to obtain the plasma parameters in the reentry plasma sheaths. The computation results show that both the electron density and the electron collision frequency vary with the AOA. As results, the transmission rates for the THz waves vary with the AOA as well. According to the analysis, microwave communication system is very likely to suffer from the `blackout' in the reentry stage. The THz scheme is an effective solution. The fluctuation of AOA may weaken the signal strength received by the onboard antenna. On the other hand, keeping the AOA in an appropriate range is helpful for strengthening the received THz signals. Also, the AOA for the best THz communication quality is obtained according to the analysis.
1. Viti, L., D. Coquillat, A. Politano, K. A. Kokh, Z. S. Aliev, M. B. Babanly, O. E. Tereshchenko, W. Knap, E. V. Chulkov, and M. S. Vitiell, "Plasma-wave terahertz detection mediated by topological insulators surface states," Nano Letters, Vol. 16, No. 1, 80, 2016. doi:10.1021/acs.nanolett.5b02901
2. Viti, L., J. Hu, D. Coquillat, A. Politano, W. Knap, and M. S. Vitiello, "Efficient terahertz detection in black-phosphorus nano-transistors with selective and controllable plasma-wave, bolometric and thermoelectric response," Scientific Reports, Vol. 6, 2016. doi:10.1038/srep20474
3. Ai, X., Y. Tian, Z. Cui, Y. Han, and X.-W. Shi, "A dispersive conformal FDTD technique for accurate modeling electromagnetic scattering of THz waves by inhomogeneous plasma cylinder array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 142, 353-368, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13052409
4. Yuan, C.-X., Z.-X. Zhou, J. W. Zhang, X.-L. Xiang, F. Yue, and H.-G. Sun, "FDTD analysis of terahertz wave propagation in a high-temperature unmagnetized plasma slab," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 39, No. 7, 1577-1584, 2011. doi:10.1109/TPS.2011.2151207
5. Tian, Y., Y. Han, Y. Ling, and X. Ai, "Propagation of terahertz electromagnetic wave in plasma with inhomogeneous collision frequency," Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 21, No. 2, 023301, (1994-present), 2014.
6. Zheng, L., Q. Zhao, S. Liu, X. Xing, and Y. Chen, "Theoretical and experimental studies of terahertz 219 wave propagation in unmagnetized plasma," Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, Vol. 35, No. 2, 187-197, 2014. doi:10.1007/s10762-013-0035-y
7. Li, J., Y. Pi, and X. Yang, "A conception on the terahertz communication system for plasma sheath penetration," Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, Vol. 14, No. 13, 1252-1258, 2014. doi:10.1002/wcm.2225
8. Starkey, R. P., "Hypersonic vehicle telemetry blackout analysis," Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 52, No. 2, 426-438, 2015. doi:10.2514/1.A32051
9. Meyer, J. W., "System and method for reducing plasma induced communication disruption utilizing electrophilic injectant and sharp reentry vehicle nose shaping,", US Patent 7237752, 2007.
10. Chen, J., K. Yuan, L. Shen, X. Deng, L. Hong, and M. Yao, "Studies of terahertz wave propagation in realistic reentry plasma sheath," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 157, 21-29, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIER16061202
11. Jung, M., H. Kihara, K. I. Abe, and Y. Takahashi, "Numerical analysis on the effect of angle of attack on evaluating radio-frequency blackout in atmospheric reentry," Journal-Korean Physical Society, Vol. 68, No. 11, 1295-1306, 2016. doi:10.3938/jkps.68.1295
12. Kundrapu, M., J. Loverich, K. Beckwith, and P. Stoltz, "Electromagnetic wave propagation in the plasma layer of a reentry vehicle," IEEE International Conference on Plasma Sciences, 1-4, 2014.
13. Kundrapu, M., J. Loverich, K. Beckwith, P. Stoltz, A. Shashurin, and M. Keidar, "Modeling radio communication blackout and blackout mitigation in hypersonic vehicles," Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 52, No. 3, 853-862, 2015. doi:10.2514/1.A33122
14. Gupta, R. N., J. M. Yos, R. A. Thompson, and K.-P. Lee, "A review of reaction rates and 241 thermodynamic and transport properties for an 11-species air model for chemical and thermal nonequilibrium calculations to 30000 K," NASA STI/Recon Technical Report N, Tech. Rep., Aug. 1990.
15. Grantham, W. L., "Flight results of a 25000-foot-per-second reentry experiment using microwave reflectometers to measure plasma electron density and standoff distance,", Tech. Rep., NASA TN D-6062, Washington, D. C., Dec. 1970.
16. Jones, Jr., W. L. and A. E. Cross, "Electrostatic-probe measurements of plasma parameters for two reentry flight experiments at 25000 feet per second,", Tech. Rep., NASA TN D-6617, Washington, D. C., Feb. 1972.
17. Lankford, D. W., "A study of electron collision frequency in air mixtures and turbulent boundary,", Tech. Rep., DTIC Document AFWL-TR-72-71, Oct. 1972.
18. Reddy, D. S. K. and K. Sinha, "Hypersonic turbulent flow simulation of Fire II reentry vehicle afterbody," Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 46, No. 4, 745-757, 2009. doi:10.2514/1.41380
19. Rybak, J. P. and R. J. Churchill, "Progress in reentry communications," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace Electronic Systems, Vol. 7, No. 5, 879-894, 1971. doi:10.1109/TAES.1971.310328
20. Mehra, N., R. K. Singh, and S. C. Bera, "Mitigation of communication blackout during re-entry using static magnetic field," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 63, 161-172, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERB15070107
21. Zheng, L., Q. Zhao, S. Liu, P. Ma, C. Huang, Y. Tang, X. Chen, X. Xing, C. Zhang, and X. Luo, "Theoretical and experimental studies of 35 GHz and 96 GHz electromagnetic wave propagation in plasma," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 24, 179-192, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERM12030709
22. Jastrow, C., S. Priebe, B. Spitschan, J.-M. Hartmann, M. Jacob, T. Kurner, T. Schrader, and T. Kleine-Ostmann, "Wireless digital data transmission at 300 GHz," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 9, 661-663, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.3509