This paper examines the electromagnetic shielding characteristics of milano, cardigan and lacoste with respect to weft and rib type composite knitted fabrics. All of these fabrics, made of hybrid yarns containing 50µm diameter metal fibres such as copper, silver and stainless steel, were produced for electromagnetic shielding purposes. The shielding eeffectiveness (SE) of the fabrics was measured by reading S parameters from the signal when the sample was placed in the path of signal at the frequency range 1.7 to 2.6 GHz inside the WR430 waveguide system. After which S parameters was converted to SE values. The variation in electromagnetic shielding effeffectiveness (EMSE) with the factors, such as radiant frequency, metal type, course density and geometry, were discussed. Experimental results show that all factors, especially the geometry of the fabric, have significant effect on SE. The best EMSE values were obtained by milano type knitted fabrics which was above 20dB. It was found that milano, cardigan and lacoste composite fabrics, uncommon in EMSE experiments found in literature, give better shielding performances than rib and weft composite fabrics, under the same conditions.
2. Safarova, V. and J. Militky, "Development of a hybrid electromagnetic shielding fabric," 18th International Conference on Composite Materials, 21-26, 2011.
3. Ogrutan, P. L.., L. E. Aciu, and C. Stanca, "Attenuation characteristics of electromagnetic shielding materials," Journal of Environmental Research and Protection, Vol. 11, No. 1, 66-75, 2014.
4. Lu, K., et al., "Study on electromagnetic shielding properties of conductive sheets," International Conference on Biobase Material Science and Engineering Study, 127-131, 2012.
5. Perumalraj, R. and B. S. Dasaradan, "Electromagnetic shielding effectiveness of doubled copper-cotton yarn woven materials," Fibres and Textiles in Eastern Europe, Vol. 18, No. 3, 74-80, 2010.
6. Chung, D. D. L., "Materials for electromagnetic interference shielding," Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, Vol. 9, No. 3, 350-354, 2000.
7. Soyaslan, D., S. Comlekci, and O. Goktepe, "Determination of electromagnetic shielding performance of plain knitting and 1 × 1 rib structures with coaxial test fixture relating to ASTM D4935," The Journal of the Textile Institute, Vol. 101, No. 10, 890-897, 2010.
8. Das, A., J. Krishnasamy, R. Alagirusamy, and A. Basu, "Electromagnetic interference shielding effectiveness of SS/PET hybrid yarn incorporated woven fabrics," Fibers and Polymers, Vol. 15, No. 1, 169-174, 2014.
9. Cheng, L., et al., "Electromagnetic shielding effectiveness and mathematical model of stainless steel composite fabric," The Journal of the Textile Institute, 577-586, 2014.
10. Oxley, C. H., et al., "Measurement of the reflection and transmission properties of conducting fabrics at milli-metric wave frequencies," IET Science, Measurement and Technology, Vol. 1, No. 3, 166-169, 2007.
11. Ozen, M. S., E. Sancak, and M. Akalin, "The effect of needle-punched nonwoven fabric thickness on electromagnetic shielding effectiveness," Textile Research Journal, Vol. 85, No. 8, 804-815, 2015.
12. Perumalraj, R. and B. S. Dasaradan, "Electromagnetic shielding effectiveness of copper core yarn knitted fabrics," Indian Journal of Fibre and Textile Research, Vol. 34, No. 2, 149-154, 2009.
13. Cai, J., Z. Xuan, and H. Liu, "The testing and equivalent calculation of electromagnetic shielding effectiveness of metal fiber blended fabrics," 2nd International Conference on Measurement, Information and Control, Vol. 2, 1464-1467, 2013.
14. Erdumlu, N. and C. Saricam, "Electromagnetic shielding effectiveness of woven fabrics containing cotton/metal-wrapped hybrid yarns," Journal of Industrial Textiles, Vol. 46, No. 4, 1084-1103, 2016.
15. Das, A., et al., "Effect of various parameters on electromagnetic shielding effectiveness of textile fabrics," Indian Journal of Fibre and Textile Research, Vol. 34, 144-148, 2009.
16. Ceken, F., et al., "Electromagnetic shielding properties of plain knitted fabrics containing conductive yarns," Journal of Engineered Fibers and Fabrics, Vol. 7, No. 4, 81-87, 2012.
17. Ortlek, H. G., et al., "Electromagnetic shielding characteristics of woven fabrics made of hybrid yarns containing metal wire," Fibers and Polymers, Vol. 13, No. 1, 63-67, 2012.
18. Wang, X. and Z. Liu, "Influence of fabric density on shielding effectiveness of electromagnetic shielding fabric," Przeglad Elektrotechnczny, Vol. 11a, 236-238, 2012.
19. Kumar, R., A. Kumar, and D. Kumar, "RFI/EMI/microwave shielding behaviour of metallized fabric - A theoretical approach," Electromagnetic Interference and Compatibility, 447-450, 1997.
20. Clayton, R. P., Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility, 2nd Ed., John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York, 2006.
21. Drinovsky, J. and Z. Kejik, "Electromagnetic shielding efficiency measurement of composite materials," Measurement Science Review, Vol. 9, No. 4, 109-112, 2009.
22. Mathew, K. T., U. G. Kalappura, and R. Augustine, "Polyaniline based materials for efficient EMI shielding," International Union of Radio Science, 2008.