A semi-analytical method to analyze post-wall waveguides and circuits based on the model of two-dimensional photonic crystals formed by layered periodic arrays of circular cylinders is presented. The propagation constant of the fundamental TE mode, the attenuation constant due to the leakage loss and the effective width of an equivalent rectangular waveguide are calculated. Using the concept of the effective width, the original structure is replaced by an equivalent rectangular structure. When additional metallic posts are loaded in the rectangular waveguide, functional post-wall waveguide-based passive circuits are formed. The S-parameters of the post-wall circuits, which act as bandpass filters, are calculated using the image theory combined with the lattice sums technique.
2. Uchiyama, H., T. Takenoshita, and M. Fujii, "Development of a ``laminated waveguide''," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 46, No. 12, 2438-2443, 1998.
3. Entesari, K., A. P. Saghati, V. Sekar, and M. Armendariz, "Tunable SIW structures," IEEE Microwave Magazine, 34-54, June 2015.
4. Yan, L., W. Hong, K. Wu, and T. J. Cui, "Investigations on the propagation characteristics of the substrate integrated waveguide based on the method of lines," IEE Proc. - Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 152, No. 1, 35-42, 2005.
5. Xu, F. and K. Wu, "Guided-wave and leakage characteristics of substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 1, 66-73, 2005.
6. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Accurate modeling, wave mechanisms, and design considerations of a substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 6, 2516-2526, 2006.
7. Bozzi, M., F. Xu, L. Perregrini, and K. Wu, "Circuit modeling and physical interpretation of substrate integrated waveguide structures for millimeter-wave applications," Int. J. Microwave Opt. Technol., Vol. 3, No. 3, 329-338, 2008.
8. Kishihara, M., I. Ohta, K. Okubo, and J. Yamakita, "Analysis of post-wall waveguide based on H-plane planar circuit approach," IEICE Trans. Electronics, Vol. E92-C, No. 1, 63-71, 2009.
9. Wu, X. H. and A. A. Kishk, "Hybrid of method of moments and cylindrical eigenfunction expansion to study substrate integrated waveguide circuits," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 10, 2270-2276, 2008.
10. Yasumoto, K., H. Toyama, and T. Kushta, "Accurate analysis of two-dimensional electromagnetic scattering from multilayered periodic arrays of circular cylinders using lattice sums technique," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 10, 2603-2611, 2004.
11. Yasumoto, K., Electromagnetic Theory and Applications for Photonic Crystals, Chapter 3, CRC Press, 2005.
12. Yasumoto, K., H. Jia, and K. Sun, "Rigorous modal analysis of two-dimensional photonic crystal waveguides," Radio Sci., Vol. 40, No. 6, RS6S02, 2005.
13. Jandieri, V., K. Yasumoto, and J. Pistora, "Coupled-mode analysis of contra-directional coupling between two asymmetric photonic crystals waveguides," Journal of the Optical Society of America A, Vol. 31, No. 3, 518-523, 2014.
14. Yasumoto, K., H. Maeda, and V. Jandieri, "Analysis of post-wall waveguides using a model of two-dimensional photonic crystal waveguides," Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication (ICSC-2015), 74-79, Noida, India, April 2015.
15. Yasumoto, K., N. Koike, H. Jia, and B. Gupta, "Analysis of electromagnetic bandgap based filters in a rectangular waveguide," IEICE Trans. Electronics, Vol. E89-C, No. 9, 1324-1329, 2006.