A composite wideband absorbing material (WAM) covering dual bands is designed, to reduce the in-band radar cross section (RCS) for broadband antenna in this paper. The upper layer is a traditional absorber while the lower one is a dual-band frequency selective surface (FSS), which is formed by a square ring and an improved Jerusalem cross structure. The absorbing band has been broadened to 112% compared with the magnetic sheet without FSS. Over C and X bands, the absorption rate is over 90%. By using the FSS-based WAM as the ground plane of a Vivaldi antenna, substantial RCS reduction is obtained from 2-18 GHz. Moreover, the RCS is reduced remarkably over -80°-80° incident angles except for minority angles, with the radiation performance preserved at the same time. The experimental results are in good agreement with the simulated ones.
"Dual-Band Composite Wideband Absorbing Material for Broadband Antenna in-Band Radar Cross Section Reduction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 56, 71-79, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM17021502
1. Seman, F. C., R. Cahill, and V. Fusco, "Salisbury screen absorber with angular and polarization insensitive resonant frequency," European Conference on Antenna and Propagation (EUCAP), 1556-1559, 2009.
2. Zhang, J. J., J. H. Wang, M. Chen, and Z. Zhang, "RCS reduction of patch array antenna by electromagnetic band-gap structure," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1048-1051, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2215832
3. Wang, F.-W., S.-X. Gong, S. Zhang, X. Mu, and T. Hong, "RCS reduction of array antennas with radar absorbing structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 17-18, 2487-2496, 2012. doi:10.1163/156939311798806239
4. Zhu, B., Z.Wang, C. Huang, Y. Feng, J. Zhao, and T. Jiang, "Polarization insensitive metamaterial absorber with wide incident angle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 231-239, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10011110
5. Cheng, Y.-Z., Y. Wang, Y. Nie, R.-Z. Gong, X. Xiong, and X. Wang, "Design, fabrication and measurement of a broadband polarization-insensitive metamaterial absorber based on lumped elements," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 111, No. 4, 509, 2012.
6. Fallahzadeh, S., K. Forooraghi, and Z. Atlasbaf, "Design, simulation and measurement of a dual linear polarization insensitive planar resonant metamaterial absorber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 35, 135-144, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL12071606
7. Kollatou, T. M., A. I. Dimitriadis, S. D. Assimonis, N. V. Kantartzis, and C. S. Antonopoulos, "A family of ultra-thin polarization insensitive multi-band highly absorbing metamaterial structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 579-594, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12123106
8. Zhang, C.-F., W. Tang, X.-L. Mi, and L.-R. Chen, "Application of radar absorbing material in design of metal space frame radomes," Cross Strait Quad-Regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference (CSQRWC), Vol. 1, 222-225, 2011. doi:10.1109/CSQRWC.2011.6036926
9. Wang, W.-T., S.-X. Gong, X. Wang, H.-W. Yuan, and J. Ling, "RCS reduction of array antenna by using bandstop FSS reflector," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 11-12, 1505-1514, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789476473
10. Chen, Q., J. J. Jiang, X. X. Xu, Y. He, and L. Chen, "Thin and broadband electromagnetic absorber design using resistors and capacitors loaded frequency selective surface," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 16, 2102-2111, 2012. doi:10.1080/09205071.2012.726318
11. WasifNiaz, M., R. A. Bhatti, and I. Majid, "Design of broadband electromagnetic absorber using resistive Minkowski loops," International Burbank Conference on Applied Sciences & Technology (IBCAST), 424-428, 2013.
12. Lv, J., S.-X. Gong, F.-W. Wang, J. Luo, and Y.-X. Zhang, "RCS reduction of Quasi-Yagi antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 53, 89-97, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14052905
13. Wang, F.-W., W. Jiang, T. Hong, H. Xue, S.-X. Gong, and Y.-Q. Zhang, "Radar cross section reduction of wideband antenna with a novel wideband radar absorbing materials," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, No. 7, 491-497, 2014. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2013.0356
14. Teni, G., N. Zhang, J. Qiu, and P. Zhang, "Research on a novel miniaturized antipodal Vivaldi antenna with improved radiation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 417-420, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2253592
15. Yan, J.-B., G. Sivaprasad, C.-R. Bruno, and B. John, "A dual-polarized 2-18-GHz vivaldi array for airborne radar measurements of snow," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 2, 781-785, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2506734
16. Saptarshi, G., "An equivalent circuit model of FSS-based metamaterial absorber using coupled line theory," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 511-514, 2015.
17. Zabri, S. N., R. Cahill, and A. Schuchinsky, "Compact FSS absorber design using resistively loaded quadruple hexagonal loops for bandwidth enhancement," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 2, 162-164, 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2014.3866
18. Yang, Z.-N., F. Luo, L. Gao, Y.-C. Qing, W.-C. Zhou, and D.-M. Zhu, "Enhanced microwave absorption properties of carbon black/silicone rubber coating by frequency-selective surface," Journal of Electronics Materials, Vol. 45, No. 10, 5017-5023, 2016. doi:10.1007/s11664-016-4671-6