In this correspondence, the two-dimensional (2-D) direction-of-arrival (DOA) estimation problem for partially polarized (PP) signals is considered. In particular, we focus on an array geometry containing three identical uniform linear arrays (ULAs). Compared with existing methods, the proposed one has three main advantages. Firstly, the estimation accuracy is higher since it exploits the polarization information. Secondly, it can work effectively under the coexistence of both noncircular and circular signals. Finally, pair matching for 2-D DOA is not required which reduces the computational complexity. Simulation results are presented verifying the efficacy of the algorithm.
2. Gao, F.-F., A. Nallanathan, and Y.-D. Wang, "Improved MUSIC under the coexistence of both circular and noncircular sources," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 56, No. 7, 3033-3038, Jul. 2008.
3. Wu, M.-J., X.-F. Zhang, J.-J. Huang, and N.-C. Yuan, "DOA estimation of cylindrical conformal array based on geometric algebra," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 2016, Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/7832475.
4. Liu, J., Z.-T. Huang, and Y.-Y. Zhou, "Extend 2q-MUSIC algorithm for noncircular signals," Signal Processing, Vol. 88, 1327-1339, Dec. 2008.
5. Nie, W.-K., D.-Z. Feng, H. Xie, J. Li, and P.-F. Xu, "Improved MUSIC algorithm for high resolution angle estimation," Signal Processing, Vol. 122, 87-92, Dec. 2015.
6. Ko, H. C., "On the reception of quasi-monochromatic, partially polarized radio waves," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 50, No. 9, 1950-1957, 1962..
7. Ho, K.-C., K.-C Tan, and B. T. G. Tan, "Efficient method for estimating directions-of-arrival of partially polarized signals with electromagnetic vector sensors," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 45, No. 10, 2485-2498, Oct. 1997.
8. Kay, S. M., Fundamentals of Statistical Signal Processing Volume I: Estimation Theory, Pearson Education, Inc., USA, ISBN: 978-0133457117, 1993.
9. Li, J., X. Zhang, and H. Chen, "Improved two-dimensional DOA estimation algorithm for two-parallel uniform linear arrays using propagator method," Signal Processing, Vol. 92, 3032-3038, 2012, DOI: 10.1016/j.sigpro.2012.06.010.
10. Tayem, N. and H. M. Kwon, "Conjugate ESPRIT (C-SPRIT)," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 10, 2618-2624, 2004, ISSN: 0018-926X. DOI: 10.1109/TAP.2004.834385.