A novel bearingless stirring permanent-magnet (PM) (BSPM) machine is proposed in this paper, which can offer high torque density, high efficiency, simple structure, and low cost. The novelty of the proposed machine is to provide a clean environment and no pinch-off areas in a stirred tank bioreactor and integrate appropriate magnetization directions of the PMs in the rotor. Firstly, the topology and operational principle of the proposed machine are described in detail. Then, the machine is designed for a given set of specifications, and its electromagnetic performances are analyzed by time-stepped transient finite-element method (FEM). Next, after the analysis of loss, a thermal simulation is established, complying with the design requirements. Finally, the efficiency and power factor map of the proposed BSPM machine are simulated for validation.
2. Artis, F., D. Dubuc, J. Fournie, M. Poupot, and K. Grenier, "Microwave dielectric spectroscopy for biological cells suspensions analysis and proliferation evaluation," 2014 44th European Microwave Conference, 275-278, 2014.
3. Daniele, M., F. Vozzi, A. Cisternino, G. Vozzi, and A. Ahluwalia, "A high-throughput bioreactor system simulating physiological environments," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 55, No. 10, 3273-3280, 2008.
4. Maki, A., T. Ryynanen, J. Verho, J. Kreytzer, J. Lekkala, and P. J. Kallio, "Indirect temperature measurement and control method for cell culture devices," IEEE Transaction on Automation Science and Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 99, 1-10, 2016.
5. Henson, M. A., "Biochemical reactor modeling and control," IEEE Control Systems Magazine, Vol. 26, No. 4, 54-62, 2006.
6. Ye, S. and K. T. Chau, "Chaoization of DC motors for industrial mixing," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 54, No. 4, 2024-2032, 2007.
7. Bartholet, M. T., T. Nussbaumer, S. Silber, and J. W. Kolar, "Comparative evaluation of polyphase bearingless slice motors for fluid-handling applications," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 45, No. 5, 1821-1830, 2009.
8. Park, S. and C. Lee, "Decoupled control of a disk-type rotor equipped with a three-pole hybrid magnetic bearing," IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol. 15, No. 5, 793-804, 2010.
9. Ooshima, M., A. Chiba, T. Fukao, and M. A. Rahman, "Design and analysis of permanent magnet-type bearingless motors," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 43, No. 2, 292-299, 1996.
10. Yang, S. and M. Huang, "Design and implementation of a magnetically levitated single-axis controlled blood pump," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 56, No. 6, 2213-2219, 2009.
11. Reichert, T., T. Nussbaumer, W. Gruber, and J. W. Kolar, "Bearingless Permanent-Magnet motor with 4/12 slot-pole ratio for bioreactor stirring applications," IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol. 16, No. 3, 431-439, 2011.
12. Dajaku, G., W. Xie, and D. Gerling, "Reduction of low space harmonics for the fractional slot concentrated windings using a novel stator design," IEEE Transaction on Magnetics, Vol. 50, No. 5, 1-12, 2014.
13. Jian, L. and K. T. Chau, "Design and analysis of a magnetic geared electronic-continuously variable transmission system using finite element method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 47-61, 2010.
14. Jian, L., G. Xu, Y. Gong, J. Song, J. Liang, and M. Chang, "Electromagnetic design and analysis of a novel magnetic-gear-integrated wind power generator using time-stepping finite element method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 351-367, 2011.
15. Bramerdorfer, G. and D. Andessner, "Accurate and easy-to-obtain iron loss model for electric machine design," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 64, No. 3, 2530-2537, 2017.
16. Bianchi, N. and E. Fornasiero, "Impact of MMF space harmonic on rotor loss in fractional-slot permanent-magnet machines," IEEE Transaction on Energy Conversion, Vol. 24, No. 2, 323-328, 2009.
17. Chai, F., P. Liang, Y. Pei, and S. Cheng, "Magnet shape optimization of surface-mounted permanent-magnet motors to reduce harmonic iron losses," IEEE Transaction on Magnetics, Vol. 52, No. 7, Article ID: 7300504, 2015.
18. Choi, G. and T. M. Jahns, "Reduction of eddy-current losses in fractional-slot concentrated-windings synchronous PM machines," IEEE Transaction on Magnetics, Vol. 52, No. 7, Article ID: 8105904, 2016.
19. Gonzalez, D. A. and D. M. Saban, "Study of the copper losses in a high-speed permanent-magnet machine with form-wound windings," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 61, No. 6, 3038-3045, 2014.
20. Kim, Y. and K. Nam, "Copper-loss-minimizing field current control scheme for wound synchronous machines," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 32, No. 2, 1335-1345, 2017.