In this paper, after a brief review of the previous nonlinear power amplifier (PA) classes including Class-B, Class-F, and Class-J, a novel design theory for high-efficiency and high-linearity microwave power amplifier based on 2nd harmonic component of the drain voltage and current signals is proposed. The new scheme introduces a new nonlinear class which like Class-J tunes only two primary harmonic components but unlike Class-J, the drain voltage is boosted to the maximum four times dc drain voltage. A quasi half sinusoidal waveform for the current and a quadratic sinusoidal waveform for the voltage are thus realized in this class, leading to a minimum waveform overlapping. The new class theoretically provides 93% power efficiency. It is, in fact, an enhanced Class-J with higher power efficiency and better linearity performance.
2. Seyed Alireza Mohadeskasaei, S. U. A., J. An, Y. Chen, Z. Li, and T. Sun, "Systematic approach for design of broadband, high efficiency, high power RF amplifiers," ETRI Journal, Vol. 39, No. 1, 51-61, Feb. 2017.
3. Zhao, D. and P. Reynaert, "A 60-GHz dual-mode class AB power amplifier in 40-nm CMOS," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 48, No. 10, 2323-2337, Oct. 2013.
4. Chen, K. and D. Peroulis, "Design of highly efficient broadband Class-E power amplifier using synthesized low-pass matching networks," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 12, 3162-3173, Dec. 2011.
5. Grebennikov, A., "High-efficiency class-E power amplifier with shunt capacitance and shunt filter," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, Vol. 63, No. 1, 12-22, Jan. 2016.
6. Kim, J. H., G. D. Jo, J. H. Oh, Y. H. Kim, K. C. Lee, and J. H. Jung, "Modeling and design methodology of high-efficiency Class-F and Class-F-1 power amplifiers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 1, 153-165, Jan. 2011.
7. Hayati, M., A. Sheikhi, and A. Grebennikov, "Class-F power amplifier with high power added efficiency using bowtie-shaped harmonic control circuit," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 25, No. 2, 133-135, Feb. 2015.
8. Moon, J., J. Kim, and B. Kim, "Investigation of a Class-J power amplifier with a nonlinear Cout for optimized operation," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 11, 2800-2811, Nov. 2010.
9. Wright, P., J. Lees, J. Benedikt, P. J. Tasker, and S. C. Cripps, "A methodology for realizing high efficiency Class-J in a linear and broadband PA," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3196-3204, Dec. 2009.
10. Park, S., J. L. Woo, U. Kim, and Y. Kwon, "Broadband CMOS stacked RF power amplifier using reconfigurable interstage network for wideband envelope tracking," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 63, No. 4, 1174-1185, Apr. 2015.
11. Mohadeskasaei, S. A., F. Lin, X. Zhou, S. U. Abdullahi, and A. Ahmat, "Design of broadband, high-efficiency, and high-linearity GaN HEMT Class-J RF power amplifier," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 72, 177-186, 2017.
12. Jin, H., Q. Li, L. Zhang, X. Zeng, and R. Yang, "Review of wide band-gap semiconductors technology," MATEC Web of Conferences, Vol. 40, 2016.
13. Cripps, S. C., RF Power Amplifiers for Wireless Communications, Artech House, 1999.
14. Raab, F. H., "Class-F power amplifiers with maximally flat waveforms," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 45, No. 11, 2007-2012, 1997.
15. Rudiakova, A. and V. Krizhanovski, Advanced Design Techniques for RF Power Amplifiers, Springer, 2006.
16. Colantonio, P., F. Giannini, and E. Limiti, High Efficiency RF and Microwave Solid State Power Amplifiers, John Wiley and Sons, 2009.