In airborne systems, where low aerodynamic drag is urgently required, an end-fire antenna is suitable to be used. An effort to develop such an antenna, using planar elements, is described in this paper. Here, a new kind of Microstrip Slotted Antenna with end-fire properties is presented. For investigating the end-fire radiation from microstrip antenna, three antenna elements are proposed during the study - 1) Single Patch Single Feed Microstrip Slotted Antenna, 2) Dual Patch Single Feed Microstrip Slotted Antenna and 3) Dual Patch Dual Feed Microstrip Slotted Antenna. All these proposed antennas are designed and simulated in two different EM tools, which are - CST Microwave Studio (MWS) based on time domain solver and ANSYS HFSS based on frequency domain solver. Thereafter, these antenna prototype models have been fabricated and tested. Good agreement is obtained between the simulated and measured results.
2. Booker, H. G., "Slot aerials and their relation to complementary wire aerials (Babinet’s principle)," Journal of the Institution of Electrical Engineers - Part IIIA: Radiolocation, Vol. 93, No. 4, 620-626, 1946.
3. Wong, K. L. and W. H. Hsu, "A broad-band rectangular patch antenna with a pair of wide slits," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 9, 1345-1347, 2001.
4. DeJean, G. R., T. T. Thai, S. Nikolaou, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Design and analysis of microstrip Bi-Yagi and Quad-Yagi antenna arrays for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 244-248, 2007.
5. Ehrenspeck, H., "The double-helix antenna and its variants, a new class of tunable endfire antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 13, No. 2, 203-208, 1965.
6. Pazin, L. and Y. Leviatan, "A compact 60-GHz tapered slot antenna printed on LCP substrate for WPAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 272-275, 2010.
7. Kraus, J. D. and R. J. Marhefka, Antennas: For All Applications, 3rd Ed., The McGraw-Hill Companies Inc., 2002.
8. Targonski, S. D., R. B. Waterhouse, and D. M. Pozar, "Design of wide-band aperture-stacked patch microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 9, 1245-1251, 1998.
9. Abdelaziz, A. A., "Bandwidth enhancement of microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 63, 311-317, 2006.
10. Sanyal, A., A. Basu, S. K. Koul, M. Abegaonkar, S. Varughese, and P. B. Venkatesh Rao, "A planar end-fire array in S-band for airborne applications," IETE Journal of Research, Vol. 58, No. 1, 34-43, 2014.
11. Saed, M. A., "Broadband CPW-fed planar slot antennas with various tuning stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 199-212, 2006.
12. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Dual-wideband square slot antenna with a U-shaped printed tuning stub for personal wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 319-333, 2005.
13. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Design of wideband triangle slot antennas with tuning stub," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 48, 233-248, 2004.
14. Kale, G. M., R. P. Labade, and R. S. Pawase, "Tunable and dual band rectangular microstrip antenna for bluetooth and WiMAX applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 8, 1986-1991, 2015.
15. Tsai, J. F., C. J. Shih, and J. S. Row, "A design method for patch antennas with wide frequency tunable range and stable conical radiation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 6, 1441-1445, 2012.
16. Attia, H., O. Siddiqui, and O. Ramahi, "Beam tilting of single microstrip antenna using high permittivity superstrate," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 7, 1657-1661, 2013.
17. Binoy, G. S., C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Dual-frequency dual-polarized slot-coupled compact microstrip antenna for communication systems," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 89, No. 3, 191-195, 2010.
18. Jayasinghe, J. M. J. W., J. Anguera, D. N. Uduwawala, and A. Andújar, "High-directivity genetic microstrip patch antenna," International Journal of Electronics Letters, Vol. 4, No. 3, 279-286, 2015.
19. Wu, W., B. Z. Wang, and S. Sun, "Pattern reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 1, 107-113, 2012.
20. Orban, D. and G. J. K. Moernaut, "The basics of patch antennas," RF Globalnet Newsletter, 2009.
21. Balanies, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis & Design, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons Inc., 1997.
22. Singh, A. K. and M. K. Meshram, "Shorting pin loaded dual-band compact rectangular microstrip antenna," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 94, No. 3, 237-250, 2007.
23. Chen, K., X. Chen, and K. Huang, "A novel microstrip dipole antenna with wideband and end-fire properties," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 12, 1679-1688, 2012.