The article presents a research of the effect of different types of short circuits (SC) on the performance of the gas turbine and ultra-high-speed microgenerator (MG) in a wide frequency range (from 200 000 rpm to 1,000,000 rpm) at a power from 10 W to 1 kW. The studies are carried out on a specific two-pole 100 W, 500,000 rpm microgenerator with permanent magnets with a toroidal winding. The research is carried out by finite element method using Ansys Maxwell software. Numerical study by the finite element method is performed at the rated operation mode and various types of short circuits: single-phase, two-phase, three-phase circuits coil inside MG. By the results of these studies, we estimate a negative impact of different types of faults on the parameters of MG and the mechanical characteristics of the gas turbine. Also we consider various options MG with SC for various types of bearings. Then, using the full-sized 100 W sample we carried out experimental studies of the MG operation in nominal operation mode at the 500,000 rpm. That allows to verify the developed computer model and confirm the results of our practice research. The obtained results can be used in the aerospace industry for design the high reliability complexes such as new energy systems for satellite power supply, unmanned aerial vehicles and microturbines. In addition, it can be used to design the ultra-high-voltage electric machines with a high fault tolerance for the compressor plants, air supply systems of hydrogen fuel cells, new medical tools and machine tools.
1. Ismagilov, F. R., I. Kh. Khayrullin, V. Ye. Vavilov, V. I. Bekuzin, and V. V. Ayguzina, "Increasing energy parameters of high-speed magneto-electric generator for autonomous objects," International Review of Aerospace Engineering (I.R.E.A.S.E.), Vol. 10, No. 2, 74-80, 2017.
2. Oyama, J., T. Higuchi, T. Abe, K. Shigematm, X. Yang, and E. Matsuo, "A trial production of small size ultra-high speed drive system," IEMDC 2003, Vol. 1, No. 2-1-1, 31-36, 2003.
3. Bailey, C., D. Saban, and P. Guedes-Pinto, "Design of high-speed direct-connected permanent-magnet motors and generators for the petrochemical industry," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 45, No. 3, 1159-1165, 2009. doi:10.1109/TIA.2009.2018964
4. Abdi, B., J. Milimonfared, and J. Moghani, "Simplified design and optimization of slotless synchronous PM machine for micro-satellite electro-mechanical batteries," Advances in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 3, 84-88, 2009. doi:10.4316/aece.2009.03015
5. Nagorny, A., N. Dravid, R. Jansen, and B. Kenny, "Design aspects of a high speed permanent magnet synchronous motor/generator for flywheel applications,", NASA/TM-2005-213651, 1-7, 2005.
6. Besnard, J.-P., F. Biais, and M. Martinez, "Electrical rotating machines and power electronics for new aircraft equipment systems," ICAS-Secretariat - 25th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, 1-9, 2006.
7. Borisavljevic, A., "Limits, modeling and design of high-speed permanent magnet machines,", Printed by Wormann Print Service, Zutphen, the Netherlands, 2011.
8. Zwyssig, C., J. W. Kolar, W. Thaler, and M. Vohrer, "Design of a 100 W, 500000 rpm permanent-magnet generator for mesoscale gas turbines," Conference Record - IAS Annual Meeting (IEEE Industry Applications Society), Vol. 1, 253-260, Hong Kong, 2005.
9. Zwyssig, C. and J. W. Kolar, "Round mega-speed drive systems: pushing beyond 1 million rpm," Mechatronics, IEEE/ASME Transactions, Vol. 14, No. 5, 564-574, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMECH.2008.2009310
10. Krähenbühl, D., C. Zwyssig, H. Weser, and J. W. Kolar, "A miniature 500000-r/min electrically driven turbocompressor," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 46, No. 6, 2459-2466, 2010. doi:10.1109/TIA.2010.2073673
11. Zwyssig, C., S. D. Round, and J. W. Kolar, "Power electronics interface for a 100W, 500000 rpm gas turbine portable power unit," Applied Power Electronics Conference, 283-289, Dallas, Texas, USA, March 2006.
12. Isomura, K., M. Murayama, S. Teramoto, K. Hikichi, Y. Endo, S. Togo, and S. Tanaka, "Experimental verification of the feasibility of a 100 W class micro-scale gas turbine at an impeller diameter of 10 mm," J. Micromech. Microeng, Vol. 16, 254-261, 2006. doi:10.1088/0960-1317/16/9/S13
13. Guidez, J., Y. Ribaud, O. Dessornes, T. Courvoisier, C. Dumand, T. Onishi, and S. Burguburu, "Micro gas turbine research at Onera," International Symposium on Measurement and Control in Robotics, Brussels, Belgium, 2005.
14. Park, C. H., S. K. Choi, and S. Y. Ham, "Design and experiment of 400,000 rpm high speed rotor and bearings for 500 W class micro gas turbine generator," International Conference on Micro and Nanotechnology for Power Generation and Energy Conversion Applications (PowerMEMS), 1-4, Daejeon, 2011.
15. Zwyssig, C., S. D. Round, and J. W. Kolar, "An ultrahigh-speed, low power electrical drive system," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 55, No. 2, 577-585, 2008. doi:10.1109/TIE.2007.911950
16. Uzhegov, N., E. Kurvinen, J. Nerg, J. T. Sopanen, and S. Shirinskii, "Multidisciplinary design process of a 6-slot 2-pole high-speed permanent-magnet synchronous machine," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 63, No. 2, 174-178, 2016. doi:10.1109/TIE.2015.2477797
17. Huynh, C., L. Zheng, and D. Acharya, "Losses in high speed permanent magnet machines used in microturbine applications," J. of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 131, No. 2, 1-6, 2009. doi:10.1115/1.2982151
18. Ismagilov, F., I. Khairullin, V. Vavilov, R. Karimov, and A. Gorbunov, "Features of designing high-rpm electromechanical energy converters operating in short-term mode with high-coercivity permanent magnets," International Review of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 1, 28-35, 2016.
19. Zhang, T., X. Ye, H. Zhang, and H. Jia, "Strength design on permanent magnet rotor in high speed motor using finite element method," Telkomnika Indonesian Journal of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 12, No. 3, 1758-1763, 2014.
20. Tuysuz, A., M. Steichen, C. Zwyssig, and J. W. Kolar, "Advanced cooling concepts for ultra-high-speed machines," 9th International Conference on Power Electronics - ECCE Asia: ``Green World with Power Electronics'', ICPE 2015-ECCE Asia, 7168081, 2194-2202, 2015.
21. Zhang, Z., C. Xia, Y. Yan, Q. Geng, and T. Shi, "A hybrid analytical model for open-circuit field calculation of multilayer interior permanent magnet machines," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 435, 136-145, 2017. doi:10.1016/j.jmmm.2017.03.036
22. Wang, W., J. Zhang, and M. Cheng, "Common model predictive control for permanent-magnet synchronous machine drives considering single-phase open-circuit fault," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 32, No. 7, 5862-5872, 2016. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2016.2621745
23. Li, X. M., Z. X. Yang, Y. B. Li, W. Chen, and L. P. Zhang, "Performance analysis of permanent magnet synchronous generators for wind energy conversion system," International Conference on Advanced Mechatronic Systems, (ICAMechS), 544-549, 2016. doi:10.1109/ICAMechS.2016.7813507