In this paper, the inverse scattering of a conducting cylinder is given by modified fireworks algorithm. Initially, the direct scattering is formulated as an integral equation, which contains the target shape function. The scattering integral equation is then solved by the moment method. To achieve image reconstruction, the target shape function is expanded as a Fourier series. The inverse scattering is transformed into a nonlinear optimization problem. The variables are Fourier series coefficients of the target shape function. The objective function is defined by comparing the scattered electric fields of guessed and true shapes. This nonlinear optimization problem is then optimized by our modified fireworks algorithm. The fireworks algorithm is a novel swarm intelligence algorithm for global optimization. It is inspired by practical fireworks explosion. In this paper, it is suitably modified so that it can treat the inverse scattering problem with fast convergence. Numerical results show that the inverse scattering based on our modified fireworks algorithm can accurately reconstruct the target shape with fast convergence.
2. Farhat, N. H., T. Dzekov, and E. Ledet, "Computer simulation of frequency swept imaging," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 64, 1453-1454, 1976.
3. Chi, C. and N. H. Farhat, "Frequency swept tomographic imaging of three-dimensional perfectly conducting objects," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 29, 312-319, 1981.
4. Bojarski, N. N., "A survey of the physical optics inverse scattering identity," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 30, 980-989, 1982.
5. Ge, D. B., "A study of the Lewis method for target-shape reconstruction," Inverse Problems, Vol. 6, 363-370, 1990.
6. Roger, A., "Newton-Kantorovitch algorithm applied to an electromagnetic inverse problem," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 29, 980-989, 1981.
7. Kirsch, A., R. Kress, P. Monk, and A. Zinn, "Two methods for solving the inverse acoustic scattering problem," Inverse Problems, Vol. 4, 749-770, 1988.
8. Colton, D. and P. Monk, "A new method for solving the inverse scattering problem for acoustic waves in an inhomogeneous medium," Inverse Problems, Vol. 5, 1013-1026, 1989.
9. Otto, G. P. and W. C. Chew, "Microwave inverse scattering-local shape function imaging for improved resolution of strong scatterers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 42, 137-141, 1994.
10. Hettlich, F., "Two method for solving an inverse conductive scattering problem," Inverse Problems, Vol. 10, 375-385, 1994.
11. Chiu, C. C. and P. T. Liu, "Image reconstruction of a perfectly conducting cylinder by the genetic algorithm," IEE Proceedings - Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 143, 253-259, 1996.
12. Tan, Y. and Y. Zhu, "Fireworks algorithm for optimization," International Conference on Swarm Intelligence (ICSI’2010), Beijing, China, June 12-15, 2010.
13. Robinson, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization in electromagnetics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 397-407, 2004.
14. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, Wiley, NY, 1989.
15. Harrington, R. F., Field Computation by Moment Methods, Macmillan, NY, 1968.
16. Oppenheim, A. V., R. W. Schafer, and J. R. Buck, Discrete-time Signal Processing, Prentice Hall, NJ, 1999.
17. Bartels, R. H., J. C. Beatty, and B. A. Barsky, Hermite and Cubic Spline Interpolation, Morgan Kaufmann, CA, 1998.
18. Rocca, P. and A. F. Morabito, "Optimal synthesis of reconfigurable planar arrays with simplified architectures for monopulse radar applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, 1048-1058, 2015.
19. Catapano, I., L. Di Donato, L. Crocco, O. M. Bucci, A. F. Morabito, T. Isernia, and R. Massa, "On quantitative microwave tomography of female breast," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 75-93, 2009.
20. Bucci, O. M. and G. Franceschetti, "On the degrees of freedom of scattered fields," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 37, 918-926, 1989.
21. Lee, K. C., "Genetic algorithms based analyses of nonlinearly loaded antenna arrays including mutual coupling effects," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, 776-781, 2003.
22. Kirkpatrick, S., C. D. Gelatt Jr., and M. P. Vecchi, "Optimization by simulated annealing," Science, Vol. 220, 671-680, 1983.