In this paper, a fractal tetrahedron shaped dielectric resonator antenna (DRA) design for wideband applications is proposed. Two triangular-shaped fractal slots of different sizes are introduced to reduce Q-factor of DRA and in turn to achieve wide bandwidth (BW). Internal coaxial feeding is utilized for good impedance matching and ease of fabrication. The proposed fractal DRA is fabricated and tested. The measured results are in good accordance with the simulated ones. Measured impedance bandwidth of about 72.3% covering frequency band of 3.8-8.1 GHz is achieved. Good separation between co- and cross-polarized radiation patterns in broadside direction is achieved. Various design parameters and associated results are discussed in this paper.
1. Petosa, A., A. Ittipiboon, Y. M. M. Antar, D. Roscoe, and M. Cuhasi, "Recent advances in dielectric-resonator antenna technology," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 40, No. 3, 35-48, Jun. 1998. doi:10.1109/74.706069
2. Soren, D., R. Ghatak, R. K. Mishra, and D. R. Poddar, "Dielectric resonator antennas: Designs and advances," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 60, 195-213, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERB14031306
3. Luk, K. M., K.W. Leung, and Eds, Dielectric Resonator Antennas, Research Studies Press, Baldock, England, 2003.
4. Petosa, A., Dielectric Resonator Antenna Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 2007.
5. Werner, D. H., R. L. Haupt, and P. L. Werner, "Fractal antenna engineering: The theory and design of fractal antenna arrays," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 44, No. 1, 20-36, Feb. 2002. doi:10.1109/74.997888
6. Altaf, A., Y. Yang, K. Y. Lee, and K. C. Hwang, "Circularly polarized spidron fractal dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1806-1809, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2427373
7. Dhar, S., R. Ghatak, B. Gupta, and D. R. Poddar, "A wideband Minkowski fractal dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, 2895-2903, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2251596
8. Patttnaik, S., S. Sahu, S. K. K. Dash, and S. S. Behera, "Rotated stacked dielectric resonator antenna with Sierpinski fractal for circular polarization," Proc. IEEE ICCSP-2015, 361-364, Melmaruvathur, India, 2015.
9. Sankaranarayanan, D., D. V. Kiran, and B. Mukherjee, "Koch snowflake dielectric resonator antenna loaded with a circular metallic patch for wideband applications," 2016 URSI Asia-Pacific Radio Science Conf. (URSI AP-RASC), 1798-1801, Seoul, 2016.
10. Liu, H., Y. Liu, M. Wei, and S. Gong, "Dual-broadband dielectric resonator antenna based on modified Sierpinski fractal geometry," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 11, 806-808, 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2015.0302
11. Trivedi, K. and D. Pujara, "Design and development of a prism-shaped wideband dielectric resonator antenna," 2015 IEEE Int. Symp. on Antennas and Propag. & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 49-50, Vancouver, BC, 2015.
12. Gangwar, R. K., S. P. Singh, and D. Kumar, "A modified fractal rectangular curve dielectric resonator antenna for WiMAX application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 12, 37-51, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC09111303
13. Azari, A., A. Ismail, A. Sali, and F. Hashim, "A new super wideband fractal monopole dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1014-1016, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2278011
14. Haji-Hashemi, M. R. and A. Shahpari, "A wideband fractal dielectric resonator antenna," 2005 IEEE Int. Symp. on Antennas and Propag., 533-536, Washington, DC, USA, 2005.
15. Lo, H. Y., K. W. Leung, K. M. Luk, and E. K. N. Yung, "Low profile triangular dielectric resonator antenna," 2000 IEEE Int. Symp. on Antennas and Propag., 2088-2091, Salt Lake City, USA, 2000.
16. Kumari, R., K. Parmar, and S. K. Behera, "Conformal patch fed stacked triangular dielectric resonator antenna for WLAN applications," 2010 Int. Conf. on Emerging Trends in Robotics and Communication Technologies (INTERACT), 104-107, 2010. doi:10.1109/INTERACT.2010.5706210
17. Maity, S. and B. Gupta, "Experimental investigations on wideband triangular dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 12, 5483-5486, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2607765