A wide slot antenna with a Y shape tuning element for wireless applications (GSM 1800, WiMAX, PCS and ITM-2000) is presented. The proposed antenna is fabricated on an FR-4 substrate (tan(δ)=0.02, εr=4.3) with the thickness of 1.6 mm. On the top layer of the substrate, a 50 ohm microstrip line is fabricated which is terminated in Y shape tuning element. On ground plane, an irregular wide slot and triangular notch are etched. In addition, for performance improvement two triangular shaped parasitic slots are embedded on the ground plane. The proposed antenna is energized by the microstrip line. It exhibited the bandwidth of 127.55% from 1.15 GHz to 5.2 GHz for |S11| < -10 dB. Surface current distribution and radiation pattern at resonating frequencies 1.15, 1.25, 1.9 and 4.2 GHz are analyzed. Impact of parameters on S11 characteristic is also studied to know the behavior of the antenna.
2. Yoshimura, Y., "A microstripline slot antenna (short papers)," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 20, 760-762, 1972.
3. Huang, J. F. and C. W. Kuo, "CPW-fed bow-tie slot antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 19, 358-360, 1998.
4. Deshmukh, A. A. and K. P. Ray, "Formulation of resonance frequencies for dual-band slotted rectangular microstrip antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 54, 78-97, 2012.
5. Ansari, J. A., A. Singh, and M. Aneesh, "Desktop shaped broadband microstrip patch antennas for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 50, 13-18, 2014.
6. Deshmukh, A. A. and G. Kumar, "Broadband compact V-slot loaded RMSAs," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, 1, 2006.
7. Jang, Y. W., "Broadband cross-shaped microstrip-fed slot antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 36, 2056-2057, 2000.
8. Jang, Y. W., "A circular microstrip-fed single-layer single-slot antenna for multi-band mobile communications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 37, 59-62, 2003.
9. Shameena, V. A., S. Mridula, A. Pradeep, S. Jacob, A. O. Lindo, and P. Mohanan, "A compact CPW fed slot antenna for ultra wide band applications," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 66, 189-194, 2012.
10. Jan, J. Y. and J. W. Su, "Bandwidth enhancement of a printed wide-slot antenna with a rotated slot," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 2111-2114, 2005.
11. Shinde, P. N. and J. P. Shinde, "Design of compact pentagonal slot antenna with bandwidth enhancement for multiband wireless applications," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 69, 1489-1494, 2015.
12. Sze, J. Y. and K. L. Wong, "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip-line-fed printed wide-slot antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, 1020-1024, 2001.
13. Javan, D. S., M. A. Salari, and O. H. Ghoochani, "Cross-slot antenna with U-shaped tuning stub for ultra-wideband applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 2008.
14. Lui, W. J., C. H. Cheng, Y. Cheng, and H. Zhu, "Frequency notched ultra-wideband microstrip slot antenna with fractal tuning stub," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, 294-296, 2005.
15. Jan, J. Y. and L. C. Wang, "Printed wideband rhombus slot antenna with a pair of parasitic strips for multiband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 1267-1270, 2009.