In this paper, the direction of arrival (DOA) and polarization parameters are estimated by a uniform circular array (UCA) with several single-polarized sensors. An ecient and improved polarization MUSIC algorithm for estimating the DOA and polarization parameters is presented. This method uses information on the amplitude to reduce the computational complexity. When the source is linearly polarized, the proposed algorithm is more accurate at a low signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). Monte Carlo simulations verify the ecacy of the proposed method.
1. Nehorai, A. and E. Paldi, "Vector-sensor array processing for electromagnetic source localization," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 42, 376-398, 1994. doi:10.1109/78.275610
2. Schulz, D. and R. S. Thomä, "Cramér-Rao lower bounds for polarimetric 2D direction of arrival estimation," Proc. IEEE 19th International ITG Workshop on Smart Antennas, 1-8, Mar. 2015.
3. Tian, Y., X. Sun, and S. Zhao, "Sparse-reconstruction-based direction of arrival, polarisation and power estimation using a cross-dipole array," IET Radar. Sonar Navig., Vol. 9, 727-731, 2015. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn.2013.0415
4. Li, J. and R. T. Compton, "Angle and polarization estimation using ESPRIT with a polarization sensitive array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 39, 1376-1383, Sep. 1991. doi:10.1109/8.99047
5. Wong, K. T. and M. D. Zoltowski, "Closed-form direction finding and polarization estimation with arbitrarily spaced electromagnetic vector-sensors at unknown locations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, 671-681, May 2000. doi:10.1109/8.855485
6. Wong, K. T. and M. D. Zoltowski, "Self-initiating MUSIC-based direction finding and polarization estimation in spatio-polarizational beamspace," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, 1235-1245, Aug. 2000. doi:10.1109/8.855485
7. Miron, S., N. Le. Bihan, and J. Mars, "Quaternion-MUSIC for vector-sensor array processing," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 54, 1218-1229, Apr. 2006. doi:10.1109/TSP.2006.870630
8. Wong, K. T. and M. D. Zoltowski, "Root-MUSIC-based direction-finding and polarization estimation using diversely polarized possibly collocated antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Wireless Propag., Vol. 3, 129-132, 2004. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2004.831083
9. Weiss, A. J. and B. Friedlander, "Maximum likelihood signal estimation for polarization sensitive arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 41, 918-925, Jul. 1993. doi:10.1109/8.237623
10. Lee, H. and R. Stovall, "Maximum likelihood methods for determining the direction of arrival for a single electromagnetic source with unknown polarization," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 43, 474-479, Feb. 1994. doi:10.1109/78.275634
11. Karthikeyan, B. R., G. R. Kadambi, and T. A. Vershinin, "A formulation of 1-D search technique for 2-D DOA estimation using orthogonally polarized components of linear array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1117-1120, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2395072
12. Costa, M. and A. Richter, "DoA and polarization estimation for arbitrary array configurations," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 60, 2330-2343, May 2012. doi:10.1109/TSP.2012.2187519
13. Schulz, D. and R. S. Thomä, "Search-based MUSIC techniques for 2D doa estimation using EADF and real antenna arrays," Proc. Smart Antennas (WSA) 2013, 1-8, Mar. 2013.