This work presents the design of a magneto-electric dipole (MED) antenna for the base station antenna of FM radio broadcasting implementation. The advantages of MED antenna are high gain, stable and symmetrical radiation patterns in both electric and magnetic planes, and low back lobe radiation pattern. The antenna was designed and studied to achieve the optimal dimensions of configuration parameters. The prototype antenna was fabricated and measured to validate its S11, radiation patterns, and gain. The impedance bandwidth was 33.49%, and the average gain was 7.78 dBi at the entire operating frequency (88-108 MHz). The measured results are in good agreement with the simulated ones.
"Design of a Magneto-Electric Dipole Antenna for FM Radio Broadcasting Base Station Antenna Implementation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 60, 75-84, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM17061906
1. Borrego, J. P. and N. B. Carvalho, "Harmful interferences to aeronautical radio communications arising from passive intermodulation," Proc. International Union of Radio Science, 2009.
6. Report ITU-R SM.2021, "Production and mitigation of intermodulation products in the transmitter,", [Online], Available: http://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-r/opb/rep/R-REP-SM.2021-2000-PDF-E.pdf.
7. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, Wiley, New York, 2005.
8. Clavin, A., "A new antenna feed having equal E- and H-plane patterns," IRE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 2, 113-119, 1954. doi:10.1109/T-AP.1954.27983
9. Clavin, A., D. A. Huebner, and F. J. Kilburg, "An improved element for use in array antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 22, No. 4, 521-526, Jul. 1974. doi:10.1109/TAP.1974.1140845
10. Luk, K. M. and H. Wong, "A new wideband unidirectional antenna element," Int. J. Microw. Opt. Technol., Vol. 1, No. 1, 35-44, 2006.
11. Luk, K. M. and H. Wong, "A complementary wideband antenna,", U.S. Patent No. 11/373, 518, Mar. 10, 2006.
12. Luk, K. M. and B. Q. Wu, "A broadband dual-polarized magneto-electric dipole antenna with simple feeds," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 8, 60-63, 2009.
13. Luk, K. M. and B. Q. Wu, "A magneto-electric dipole with a modified ground plane," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 8, 627-629, 2009.
14. Zhang, Z. Y., G. Fu, S. L. Zuo, and T. Ran, "A shorted magneto-electric dipole with Γ-shaped strip feed," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 12, 119-125, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09100804
15. An, W. X., K. L. Lau, S. F. Li, and Q. Xue, "Wideband E-shaped dipole antenna with staircase-shaped feeding strip," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 24, 1583-1584, Nov. 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.2890
16. Ge, L. and K. M. Luk, "A wideband magneto-electric dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas Propagat., Vol. 60, No. 11, 4987-4991, Nov. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207689
17. Zhang, Z. Y., S. L. Zuo, and J. Y. Zhao, "Wideband folded bowtie antenna with Γ-shaped strip feed and tuning stubs," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 555, No. 9, 2145-2149, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27754
18. An, W. X., S. F. Li, W. Hong, F. Z. Han, and K. P. Chen, "Design of wideband dual-band dual-polarized dipole for base station antenna," Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 19, No. 1, 22-28, Jun. 2012.
19. Govindanarayanan, I., N. Rangaswamy, and R. Anbazhagan, "Design and analysis of broadband magneto-electric dipole antenna for LTE femtocell base stations," J. Comput. Electron., Vol. 15, No. 1, 200-209, Mar. 2016. doi:10.1007/s10825-015-0759-0
20. Isernia, T., A. Massa, A. F. Morabito, and P. Rocca, "On the optimal synthesis of phase-only reconfigurable antenna arrays," Proc. the 5th European Conf. Antennas Propagat. (EuCAP 2011), 2074-2077, Rome, Italy, Apr. 2011.
21. Rocca, P. and A. F. Morabito, "Optimal synthesis of reconfigurable planar arrays with simplified architectures for monopulse radar applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 63, No. 3, 1048-1058, Mar. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2386359